The Student Room Group

Primary School Work Experience

I want to apply for university this year to go in 2016 and study primary education. I've been offered experience in a local primary school and I'm allowed to pick a preferred year group. Is there year groups that universities prefer over others or is it just the general experience they're interested in?
Reply 1
Original post by princessboo
I want to apply for university this year to go in 2016 and study primary education. I've been offered experience in a local primary school and I'm allowed to pick a preferred year group. Is there year groups that universities prefer over others or is it just the general experience they're interested in?

The university will not have preferences over which year group, but in terms of getting a broad range of experience, you might find it helpful to see if you can split your time between different year groups (even if it's a case of being primarily based in one particular year group, and spending a day each week in one of the others).
Reply 2
Original post by Pixsoul
The university will not have preferences over which year group, but in terms of getting a broad range of experience, you might find it helpful to see if you can split your time between different year groups (even if it's a case of being primarily based in one particular year group, and spending a day each week in one of the others).

Ah thank you! I have a weeks experience in Key Stage 1 so I've asked for a week or two in Key Stage 2, preferably a year 3 class so I'm getting a good variety :smile:
Reply 3
Ah thank you! I have a weeks experience in Key Stage 1 so I've asked for a week or two in Key Stage 2, preferably a year 3 class so I'm getting a good variety :smile:

Ah that should be fun!

You'll get a good mix of experience :smile:

I quite like year 3 groups - you can tell how much more independent they are compared with lower Key Stage 1 for example, but they're not having the importance of SATs bombarded at them, so there's still an element of fun to the work that you do (I think abolishing SATs for year 3 was a good move tbh)

Lucky you! I'm trying to get some work experience. I'm going to try and get a work placement done. At the moment I'm doing applied science L3 extended diploma and I'm kind off considering being a teacher. I've got a nice personality and think I'll be able to interact with kids in a brilliant manner. What course are you taking at the moment and what made you consider teaching?
Reply 5
Original post by Uz25
Lucky you! I'm trying to get some work experience. I'm going to try and get a work placement done. At the moment I'm doing applied science L3 extended diploma and I'm kind off considering being a teacher. I've got a nice personality and think I'll be able to interact with kids in a brilliant manner. What course are you taking at the moment and what made you consider teaching?

Email loads of local schools, I think I've contacted about 30 by email and only got one yes reply so it's worth not setting your heart on one school :smile: Currently studying Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I've always been interested in working with children and when I was 14 I did work experience in a preschool and I really enjoyed it but I realised how much work these people do on a low wage, so I thought it's worth going to uni as I'm capable to do so, get a job with more responsibility and be more valued. I know teaching consumes a lot of your spare time but it must be so fulfilling making a difference in children's lives! What's made you consider teaching?
Email loads of local schools, I think I've contacted about 30 by email and only got one yes reply so it's worth not setting your heart on one school :smile: Currently studying Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I've always been interested in working with children and when I was 14 I did work experience in a preschool and I really enjoyed it but I realised how much work these people do on a low wage, so I thought it's worth going to uni as I'm capable to do so, get a job with more responsibility and be more valued. I know teaching consumes a lot of your spare time but it must be so fulfilling making a difference in children's lives! What's made you consider teaching?

I don't think teachers get paid that bad... min salary is 22,000 pounds. I will try to email more, thanks for the advice. :smile:. I don't think teaching primary school kids take up your spare time e.g. at home as you won't really have that much marking to do compared to secondary school teachers.

The aspect that made me consider teaching are: doing powerpoint well, interacting with a range of kids, specific career, more jobs available in that sector etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending