The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
You could essentially put the emergency decree laws under veneer of legality too. The laws were called the "Laws do the Protection of German People and State". The veneer of protecting the people by launching a violence repression of the KPD is the very definition of masking violence with law.

I suppose you could equally link Potsdam Day to pragmatism really. Hitler didn't have to dress up and honour traditional German values but this pragmatism drew him more elitist support. Linking factors is important but there's no real set way of doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you certainly could!! That's the point I'm trying to make. It's all preference really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow
Please scroll through the pages theres quite a lot of stuff already posted.

If you still feel need like you need extra help please try and be more specific - where are you particularly struggling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for responding so fast:smile: The part I struggle with most is integrating my own knowledge and my teacher managed to confuse me more by telling me to include information that feels pretty irrelevant (we answered a popularity question where the sources all discussed workers, we were told to somehow bring women) So I think it's just thrown how I thought I had to write a part B response. Would you recommend sticking to events/things discussed in the sources and expand on them using own knowledge or would you bring additional factors in? (sorry if a question like this has already been asked, there's a lot of pages!):smile:
Original post by CD223
Unfortunately we can't discuss Edexcel exams until 9th June at 9am. Otherwise I'd post straight after as to how I interpreted it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah. What time is your exam? And date? Mine is 9am - 8th June

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 563
Original post by Tow
Yeah you certainly could!! That's the point I'm trying to make. It's all preference really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just hope we won't get marked down if the examiner disagrees with our judgement...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 564
Original post by Tow
Oh yeah. What time is your exam? And date? Mine is 9am - 8th June

Posted from TSR Mobile

In theory, unless they clash, all people sitting it in the UK should have it at 9:00GMT on 8th June. But international students may sit it any time in the following 24 hours.

I'll make sure to post back after 9am on the 9th to see how people get on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harriet__c
Thanks for responding so fast:smile: The part I struggle with most is integrating my own knowledge and my teacher managed to confuse me more by telling me to include information that feels pretty irrelevant (we answered a popularity question where the sources all discussed workers, we were told to somehow bring women) So I think it's just thrown how I thought I had to write a part B response. Would you recommend sticking to events/things discussed in the sources and expand on them using own knowledge or would you bring additional factors in? (sorry if a question like this has already been asked, there's a lot of pages!):smile:

Okay if you want a D/C talk about anything and everything and relate it to the source somehow.

If you want an A/A* ONLY talk about things mentioned in the source. Notice how i capitalised ONLY to emphasise that if you go off on a tangent you can kiss your A goodbye xD

The mark scheme explicitly states that own knowledge that is irrelevant is generally placed under the Band 3 ish (I can't quite recall it but something like that).

So if the source mentions Bohemian Lifestyle, you can directly talk about eye. Or if the source for WW1 talks about Schleiffen Plan, you'd bring that in, but not if it doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
In theory, unless they clash, all people sitting it in the UK should have it at 9:00GMT on 8th June. But international students may sit it any time in the following 24 hours.

I'll make sure to post back after 9am on the 9th to see how people get on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd probably have killed myself by then xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow
Okay if you want a D/C talk about anything and everything and relate it to the source somehow.

If you want an A/A* ONLY talk about things mentioned in the source. Notice how i capitalised ONLY to emphasise that if you go off on a tangent you can kiss your A goodbye xD

The mark scheme explicitly states that own knowledge that is irrelevant is generally placed under the Band 3 ish (I can't quite recall it but something like that).

So if the source mentions Bohemian Lifestyle, you can directly talk about eye. Or if the source for WW1 talks about Schleiffen Plan, you'd bring that in, but not if it doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Probably seemed like a stupid question but my teacher made me question how to write a part B response!:biggrin:
Reply 568
Original post by Tow
I'd probably have killed myself by then xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol how many exams do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I just hope we won't get marked down if the examiner disagrees with our judgement...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The mark scheme SOMETIMES acknowledges that students answer it as a causation/judgement when it was the other and SOMETIMES allows for marks to be awarded. But the marks awarded are much more harsh and strict - you'd probably get 22/30 for a 30/30 essay. This is JUST my own speculation but it seems right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Lol how many exams do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

7 xD

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 571
Original post by Tow
The mark scheme SOMETIMES acknowledges that students answer it as a causation/judgement when it was the other and SOMETIMES allows for marks to be awarded. But the marks awarded are much more harsh and strict - you'd probably get 22/30 for a 30/30 essay. This is JUST my own speculation but it seems right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose misinterpreting the question should carry heavy mark losses haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 572

Ah me too. 1 history, 1 computing, 3 maths and 2 physics. You?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah me too. 1 history, 1 computing, 3 maths and 2 physics. You?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 History 3 RE 3 Maths

XD

I didn't know you do Maths :O Edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow
Yeah pretty much!

So a key skill is being able to identify if it's factor or agree/disagree and I'm sure you're already aware of the difference and how to spot it so I'll spare you the lecture xD

Just make sure you read the question, goes for everyone! Someone last year rushed into it in my year and answered one of the questions as a causation/agreement when it was the other and they got a D! Or was it the year before? Not sure xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, could you explain this to me please? I wasn't aware this could affect your grade so much! 😵

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Hi, could you explain this to me please? I wasn't aware this could affect your grade so much! 😵

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, so there's two types of questions: causation (factors type) and judgement (yes/no).

Factor questions require you to list factors that relate to the question e.g.
How far did Hitler's leadership lead to the Nazis success in the 1930s -> you would list factors including Hitlers leadership/Wall Street crash etc

Judgement questions require you to say yes and no e.g.
How far were the Stressemen Years Successful -> you would say yes they were successful/no they weren't and have evidence for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 576
Original post by Tow
1 History 3 RE 3 Maths

XD

I didn't know you do Maths :O Edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yeah I do maths - AQA though!

Kinda need maths for CS at uni haha!

Somehow gotta get AAA in three of my four subjects. Hoping Maths will be the "easier" A. How do you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow
Right, so there's two types of questions: causation (factors type) and judgement (yes/no).

Factor questions require you to list factors that relate to the question e.g.
How far did Hitler's leadership lead to the Nazis success in the 1930s -> you would list factors including Hitlers leadership/Wall Street crash etc

Judgement questions require you to say yes and no e.g.
How far were the Stressemen Years Successful -> you would say yes they were successful/no they weren't and have evidence for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo thank you for that!! Very helpful. I prefer the causation questions, mainly because I'm used to structuring them from AS last year.
Also, regarding the judgement question, do you have to give a solid yes or no answer? What if I don't come to a solid conclusion, only stating that the Stresseman years had it's successes and failures and had supporting evidence of this showcasing that it was not successful but not a complete failure either? As this would be your judgement?
(I know someone who did this in an exam and came out with a B then got it remarked for an A)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah yeah I do maths - AQA though!

Kinda need maths for CS at uni haha!

Somehow gotta get AAA in three of my four subjects. Hoping Maths will be the "easier" A. How do you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA does Maths? What? I didn't even know they did anything aside from science xD

Everyone does Edexcel maths!!!

But yeah Maths is fine. Although I have a feeling I've been underestimating it. I've seen a few weird questions that would put off even the best mathematicians. I'm definitely going for an A* in Maths and it would be a real shame if I got anything below simply because of my progress through the year xD

Well we'll have to wait and see!

RE is the hardest subject I do. I'm going for an A for that one because A* is very unlikely. I could get it, but it's just so damn hard xD something like that wouldn't put me off but there's another issue: examiners in RE are like retarded...

I got marked down by 20 marks because I used asterisks in a paper. It's out of 90 so I got 67 which was a scrape A in one of the papers.... I know. My teacher complained but we all know the exam board don't give a **** xD so I had to suck it up.

Then you have people like this girl in my class who wrote EVERYTHING WRONG! Like didn't even answer the question and she got 88/90. That's right. 88/90. Again, that's right. 88/90.

K.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Ooo thank you for that!! Very helpful. I prefer the causation questions, mainly because I'm used to structuring them from AS last year.
Also, regarding the judgement question, do you have to give a solid yes or no answer? What if I don't come to a solid conclusion, only stating that the Stresseman years had it's successes and failures and had supporting evidence of this showcasing that it was not successful but not a complete failure either? As this would be your judgement?
(I know someone who did this in an exam and came out with a B then got it remarked for an A)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't sit on the fence. That's considered bad. You need to show a line of argument and the ONLY way to do this is by stick on one side. This is of course if you're aiming for that top A/A*. I'm surprised you're friend got marked up, a B is quite high for someone who sat on the fence for the essay. XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending