The Student Room Group

How make more friend in UK?

Hello,

My name is Vikram. I am of India and have living in UK over 8 month. Having good time and work hard. But not having anyfriend here, make me upset. Like to talk to nice girl at work but not know what to say because communication being very bad.
I think girl like and not have partner always talk to me but feel shy and not having good Englih make worse the conversation. But always come back to talk sometime eat lunch with because not any else with.

Feel very lonely and how must I improve English so that can make friend and talk to nice girl?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Love people very much but not anyone talk to me, make me look like not social but not true. Must I be depressed or just lonely? Should go to doctor and talk?
Reply 2
Hey. My name's Vikram too :smile:

To be honest a lot can be expressed through body language, using the hands and eye contact. It's not all about words and she obviously she must like you which is why she spends time with you even though there's the language barrier.

Why don't you just show your enthusiasm through other means - a nice smile and offering to go for a coffee with her or somthing? Are there any hobbies or interest you have in common?

As for the english - read newspapers and books - anything in enlgish in fact, pay attention to how people converse when you're in public and attend an English language course.

In the mean time - as for the friends, are there not any indian people or anyone that speaks similar language as you, you could hang out with.
Reply 3
Hello Vikram No.2, you have good english :smile:

Yes. She also like watching film and eating good food. But not having chance to go because distance from work and where she live is far. Yes, must also do English course.
But friend not knowing where to find because not do much outside work without English. Yes one man at work be of indian but of UK but he not like me because think Indian from india are not good and look at me with bad look when try to be nice to him. When I started work he did laugh at me with other people in canteen say something bad about me but knowing what.

Also on course no indian people but two people of Pakistan in neighbour. They are kind but they are old so not go out to places like restaurant much but give me food sometime.

Should I go gym and make self more in better shape? So body also says YES! :smile:
go google, type tinder, open link and sign up. Good luck
Reply 5
Did you have friends when you were in India?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Aww, I'll be your friend :smile:
OK I'm on one of those weird threads again... :erm:
Don't join tinder mate its a grim place
You seem alright man, just take some language classes and you're golden.
I imagined my very typical Chinese mum speaking this omg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Hello Vikram No.2, you have good english :smile:

Yes. She also like watching film and eating good food. But not having chance to go because distance from work and where she live is far. Yes, must also do English course.
But friend not knowing where to find because not do much outside work without English. Yes one man at work be of indian but of UK but he not like me because think Indian from india are not good and look at me with bad look when try to be nice to him. When I started work he did laugh at me with other people in canteen say something bad about me but knowing what.

Also on course no indian people but two people of Pakistan in neighbour. They are kind but they are old so not go out to places like restaurant much but give me food sometime.

Should I go gym and make self more in better shape? So body also says YES! :smile:

Hi Vikram. I'm sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I hope you make more friends soon. I agree with the other posters. I came to the UK 20 years ago but I could only speak French at the time (no English). So I can relate a bit and I understand it can be difficult in a new country with the language barrier. To repeat some posters, here are some things you could do:

1. Enrol on a course to improve your English - you might make new friends on your course!
2. Practice speaking English (even by yourself at home)
3. Watch English TV like news channels (BBC News etc.) - listen to the way they speak
4. The girl you like - ask her out during your work breaks - coffee or lunch.

I wish you all the best. xx
Original post by Edo123
Did you have friends when you were in India?

Yes having friends in India and talk on skype and phone but always they are busy. Not much time to talk but except with my mom and dad and grandma but not they are friends, only family lol
Original post by Protégé
You seem alright man, just take some language classes and you're golden.

Don't be so racist his English is perfect lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
go google, type tinder, open link and sign up. Good luck

Thank you sir. I have signed up with the tinder on phone at your advice and place picture and one accept me. Very beautiful girl but older than me too much I think and close to my home but then stop talking to me :frown:.

They women are very beautiful on there and must be much exciting and lot of rich and men of prestige go for them. Maybe find me boring she did.
Reply 15
Original post by Edo123
his spelling is perfect lol

Fixed. Unfortunately, speaking a language is both spelling and grammar

The grammar will get better as OP uses the language more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Don't be too hard on yourself Vikram. Also don't think that those women on tinder are above you.

Are there any clubs where you could go dirinking? Really, just go by yourself. There are loads of girls there that would like quirky guys. Are you just working right now or studying? Join the Indian soc if your are, if your uni has one.

Also, as for this girl at work: like someone else said, just go for coffee. I'm sure you could get the point across to her - whether or not she's single. If she is that you like her but struggle to express it becase of 'bad english'. Even if she says she's not available or doens't like you that way - you can still say you want to be friends.
Original post by godivaontherocks
Hi Vikram. I'm sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I hope you make more friends soon. I agree with the other posters. I came to the UK 20 years ago but I could only speak French at the time (no English). So I can relate a bit and I understand it can be difficult in a new country with the language barrier. To repeat some posters, here are some things you could do:

1. Enrol on a course to improve your English - you might make new friends on your course!
2. Practice speaking English (even by yourself at home)
3. Watch English TV like news channels (BBC News etc.) - listen to the way they speak
4. The girl you like - ask her out during your work breaks - coffee or lunch.

I wish you all the best. xx

Good advice from you maam. Thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Hello,

My name is Vikram. I am of India and have living in UK over 8 month. Having good time and work hard. But not having anyfriend here, make me upset. Like to talk to nice girl at work but not know what to say because communication being very bad.
I think girl like and not have partner always talk to me but feel shy and not having good Englih make worse the conversation. But always come back to talk sometime eat lunch with because not any else with.

Feel very lonely and how must I improve English so that can make friend and talk to nice girl?

Thank you

Your level of english shouldn't really matter. Main thing is you can express yourself, and grammatical mistakes generally don't hinder that. One of the best friends I ever had spoke only french but we managed to become close despite my terrible french.
Thank you sir. I have signed up with the tinder on phone at your advice and place picture and one accept me. Very beautiful girl but older than me too much I think and close to my home but then stop talking to me :frown:.

They women are very beautiful on there and must be much exciting and lot of rich and men of prestige go for them. Maybe find me boring she did.

So are you saying you're not exciting, or rich, or a man of prestige Vikram?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending