The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Guys I wrote about the learning theory I think for the 12 marker going into depth about operant and classical conditioning with a strong evaluation. I'm guessing I will get 0 marks for all that , is there anything I can do?
You can use Yuille and Cutshall too. They found that the witnesses gave accurate reports, even after 5 months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failed this exam
Guys I wrote about the learning theory I think for the 12 marker going into depth about operant and classical conditioning with a strong evaluation. I'm guessing I will get 0 marks for all that , is there anything I can do?

Sorry to say this but you may not get any marks...it clearly said Outline Bowlby's Evolutionary Theory.
Our teacher said that in the essay plan box, if you wrote a feasible point you could possible get a mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The exam went kind of well for me however I had to miss the last 2 marker so that I could spend enough time on the 12 marker. That's the right thing to do right?
Guys i feel like i did really well on this exam on all questions apart from the last. I got it completely wrong as I talked about the learning theory instead of bowlbys theory. What grade do you think ill be able to get with 95% correct on all the other parts? And is there anything I can do about my costly slip up?

Well, the 12 marker if you got that wrong as you did, you might as well subtract 12 marks straight away takin the total to say 60. Worst Case scenario say you dropped another 10marks you would be oN 50 which I am guessing will be a grade B
Posted this on a different thread just minutes ago

1) your all psych students yet you are taking a very biased sample of people for how the exam went. You are all very able students with high expectations. Some people would have struggled. Especially if the wording of the questions was misinterpreted. Results here cannot be generalised to everyone sitting the exam today!

2) grade boundaries have always been approximately 50/72 for an A. They are not going to shift massively. What they may do (which they did last year with edexcel) is make the A normal but the rest much small boundaries making an A and U the most common grades with increments of 3 marks between each grade. I predict 53/72

3) it depends on the mark scheme. They may be looking for very specific things. When it comes to essay writing you need detail to hit top marks. You need to be able to explain things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by billymccreith
Just one to run by you guys; would appreciate honest answers.

For my two MSM criticisms.

1) There must be ways other then rehearsal for information to pass from STM to LTM. Case study KF; greatly impaired STM but intact LTM.

Is this a valid example or a bad one? I feel like I'll get one mark. Birthdays/smells would have been a better example; we don't rehearse 'em, but we remember 'em.

2) It offers an oversimplified view of human memory; for example, long term memory can be broken down further into episodic, procedural etc.

Probably a more valid point?

Gutted I forgot about the verbal/visual criticism for KF. Any others you would have gone with?

Hi, I also forgot about the verbal/visual KF and didn't explain it properly despite going over it in revision! I chose Drachman and acetylcholine for my second one as those performed worse on ltm tasks than stm when it was prevented. In the case studies question did yu just list strengths/ weaknesses or did you chose one or two and elaborate?
Reply 1627
Guys i feel like i did really well on this exam on all questions apart from the last. I got it completely wrong as I talked about the learning theory instead of bowlbys theory. What grade do you think ill be able to get with 95% correct on all the other parts? And is there anything I can do about my costly slip up?

Just try to do read all the questions in unit 2!
Original post by iodo345
Hi, I also forgot about the verbal/visual KF and didn't explain it properly despite going over it in revision! I chose Drachman and acetylcholine for my second one as those performed worse on ltm tasks than stm when it was prevented. In the case studies question did yu just list strengths/ weaknesses or did you chose one or two and elaborate?

I'm really disappointed, but only a few marks I guess!

For the case study question, I went for quantity over quality.

Strengths;
allows for the unique opportunity to study unique cases and obtain rich data
allows researchers to observe situations that would otherwise be unethical to create

Weaknesses;
unique cases cannot be generalised
reliant on retrospective/anecdotal evidence; this is subject to distortion/can be forgotten
there are ethical concerns surrounding case studies, with some suggesting that they are dehumanising (as subjects are seen as 'research'). although intensive care might be provided, researchers might have their own hidden agenda which isn't necessarily in the best interests of the subjects

Presuming that's enough for 4 marks!
From previous years, what's generally been a grade B?
Thag would be opportunity sampling, I believe.
Random sampling would be e.g. Drawing names from a hat
For the operationalised directional hypothesis question I put "Those who use a memory strategy will recall more words than those who do not use a memory strategy". How many marks of the two would I get for that?
Original post by Midnight1811
From previous years, what's generally been a grade B?

50 marks is a safe bet, though I predict this year's boundaries to be slightly higher
Original post by MathsGirl
Posted this on a different thread just minutes ago

1) your all psych students yet you are taking a very biased sample of people for how the exam went. You are all very able students with high expectations. Some people would have struggled. Especially if the wording of the questions was misinterpreted. Results here cannot be generalised to everyone sitting the exam today!

2) grade boundaries have always been approximately 50/72 for an A. They are not going to shift massively. What they may do (which they did last year with edexcel) is make the A normal but the rest much small boundaries making an A and U the most common grades with increments of 3 marks between each grade. I predict 53/72

3) it depends on the mark scheme. They may be looking for very specific things. When it comes to essay writing you need detail to hit top marks. You need to be able to explain things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'v already shown this but.... https://twitter.com/search?q=psychology%20exam&src=tyah
This has external validity as it can be suggested that the wider population also found this examination easy. Lets be honest, twitter isn't exactly full of Bright people... or exceptionally bright. I think alot of people will have made many silly mistakes in this exam.
Original post by billymccreith
I'm really disappointed, but only a few marks I guess!

For the case study question, I went for quantity over quality.

Strengths;
allows for the unique opportunity to study unique cases and obtain rich data
allows researchers to observe situations that would otherwise be unethical to create

Weaknesses;
unique cases cannot be generalised
reliant on retrospective/anecdotal evidence; this is subject to distortion/can be forgotten
there are ethical concerns surrounding case studies, with some suggesting that they are dehumanising (as subjects are seen as 'research'). although intensive care might be provided, researchers might have their own hidden agenda which isn't necessarily in the best interests of the subjects

Presuming that's enough for 4 marks!

Not sure this will get any marks. The question asked what the benefits of a pilot study would be in that particular experiment.

You needed to write things such as having the view to make improvements, such as making sure participants understand the standardised instructions, changing the timing, changing the words and the number of words to get the best possible result from the actual experiment.
In the question where you had to write a directional hypothesis i put something like ''using memory improvement strategies will be effective in recalling the 10 words'' i was going to put ''compared to people who did not use the memory improvement strategy'' but i realised that in the question/method they did not compare the number of words recalled with or without the strategy and only looked at its effectiveness, would i get the marks?? (2 marks)
Original post by NotoriousDEN
For the advantage of the SS i wrote about the inter-rate reliability and the 0.94 agreement, is this right?

Also for the anxiety one i wrote about Christansson and Hubientte but didnt feel like I wrote enough for 6 marks.

Find it really confusing and daunting when they give double the normal amount of lines needed as 'extra space'

Not too sure on this one. If it asked for a strength of the Strange situation, then your answer would be more suitable as it. As it asked for advantages, it might have been e.g. it helps to establish the different attachment types?
I'm not too sure.
Original post by qwerty123A
In the question where you had to write a directional hypothesis i put something like ''using memory improvement strategies will be effective in recalling the 10 words'' i was going to put ''compared to people who did not use the memory improvement strategy'' but i realised that in the question/method they did not compare the number of words recalled with or without the strategy and only looked at its effectiveness, would i get the marks?? (2 marks)

It needed to be operationalised. e.g.

'Students who use acronyms to recall the list of 10 words in order will remember significantly more than students who use the method of Loci.'
Original post by dw1996
Not sure this will get any marks. The question asked what the benefits of a pilot study would be in that particular experiment.

You needed to write things such as having the view to make improvements, such as making sure participants understand the standardised instructions, changing the timing, changing the words and the number of words to get the best possible result from the actual experiment.

Hey man! This was for the benefits/drawbacks of CASE STUDIES!
For anxiety on EWT, I wrote about Loftus et al's eapon focus effect as the 6 marker. But when I read the following question, I read it as "Give limitation of research into anxtiey of EWT"
I wrote about ethical issues due to most real-life anxiety studies.
Should I have written a limitation on MY given study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending