The Student Room Group

Is £2100 Enough Money To Move Out On My Own? (Abusive Family)

Got an abusive family, dropped out of uni due to depression/stress and made a couple of thousand very recently by selling stuff I owned.

I'm living with my family right now and its hell, got no friends I can stay with (socially anxious) and went on JSA for a bit but had to leave as I had to move from staying with one family member to staying with another and my address changed.

I'm 21 and have very little work experience and no referees but I'm willing to do anything, is moving out on my first and then applying for a job/Housing Benefit a good idea? I'd be willing to move to a really cheap part of the UK (ideas? somewhere like London probably isn't a good idea) because I have no ties anywhere.

Is there any chance I could be rejected for Housing Benefit and/or JSA? Should I look for a landlord that accepts DSS claimants even if I'm not on Housing Benefit at the moment? Do I find a place and then start claiming? Can only survive for a few months without it

PLEASE help. my family situation is horrible

Scroll to see replies

How are they abusive if you don't mind telling?
Reply 2
Original post by DRR Lumberjack
How are they abusive if you don't mind telling?

Nasty emotional, physical when I was a kid

Its constant.
can you PM the details, i really cant be of any use unless i have a good idea of whats actually happening
Up north is cheap as hell, I live in liverpool and here you can get rent annually as cheap a £3500. I recommend looking into house shares as you're more likely to be able to afford it. You may struggle to find somewhere that will take you if you're not in full time employment though so be aware.
Reply 5
can you PM the details, i really cant be of any use unless i have a good idea of whats actually happening

Sorry I can't, family situation is basically I need to move ASAP
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Up north is cheap as hell, I live in liverpool and here you can get rent annually as cheap a £3500. I recommend looking into house shares as you're more likely to be able to afford it. You may struggle to find somewhere that will take you if you're not in full time employment though so be aware.

I might find a job first, not living in a great area right now though and it's hard to find rents round here
Birmingham is pretty cheap I know you can get places like £60-£70 including all bills (will probably be a house share)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elsewer

I might find a job first, not living in a great area right now though and it's hard to find rents round here

Um, well it depends on what you're used to I guess. Some of the people I live with in my house share (who just so happened to grow up rich :tongue: ) think this is a dangerous area that we're living in, but it's really not. I feel safe as daisy's going out at night because I'm used to living around here. I've lived in much more danger areas...and they weren't even that bad.

A job would be a good idea. If you get a job where you are currently you could possibly ask them to transfer you somewhere else so you could move to a different city.

Another possibility could be to get a spare room with a host family (very cheap) and use your savings to pay them rent whilst you search for a job to get on your feet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elsewer

Try the west Midlands, there's that buy a house for £1 scheme. Although the areas are rundown and crap.
Inner city birmingham isn't so bad either.

Landlords hate DSS tenants because of rent problems. I know because I know a landlord who owns a hmo.
Reply 10
Original post by reallydontknow
Birmingham is pretty cheap I know you can get places like £60-£70 including all bills (will probably be a house share)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, they live in Birmingham so I'd rather not be here if possible but which areas?
Reply 11
Um, well it depends on what you're used to I guess. Some of the people I live with in my house share (who just so happened to grow up rich :tongue: ) think this is a dangerous area that we're living in, but it's really not. I feel safe as daisy's going out at night because I'm used to living around here. I've lived in much more danger areas...and they weren't even that bad.

A job would be a good idea. If you get a job where you are currently you could possibly ask them to transfer you somewhere else so you could move to a different city.

Another possibility could be to get a spare room with a host family (very cheap) and use your savings to pay them rent whilst you search for a job to get on your feet.

That's a good shout with moving somewhere else for a job thanks. I'm looking for one ATM but with literally 0 referees it's hard.

What do you mean by host family sorry? Yep I'm definitely looking for rooms and not flats, it's cheaper :smile:
Reply 12
Try the west Midlands, there's that buy a house for £1 scheme. Although the areas are rundown and crap.
Inner city birmingham isn't so bad either.

Landlords hate DSS tenants because of rent problems. I know because I know a landlord who owns a hmo.

Anywhere else in the West Mids apart from Birmingham? (they live there)

That sucks about the landlords but thanks for letting me know. Am I better off looking for some kind of family with a spare room or something?
Original post by Elsewer
That's a good shout with moving somewhere else for a job thanks. I'm looking for one ATM but with literally 0 referees it's hard.

What do you mean by host family sorry? Yep I'm definitely looking for rooms and not flats, it's cheaper :smile:

Some people (often family homes) will have a spare room, and they'll rent that out to people for some extra cash on the side. So kind of like a host family as you'll be using all the same facilities as them and often if you chip in for food they'll cook for you to (if you eat the same stuff as them). It's often a very cheap option.

why does it matter? hes asking about his financial situation.
Reply 15
Some people (often family homes) will have a spare room, and they'll rent that out to people for some extra cash on the side. So kind of like a host family as you'll be using all the same facilities as them and often if you chip in for food they'll cook for you to (if you eat the same stuff as them). It's often a very cheap option.

Thanks :smile: Any sites you'd recommend for looking for one? How do I go about explaining I might be on DSS even if I'm not at the outset?
Original post by Elsewer
Thanks, they live in Birmingham so I'd rather not be here if possible but which areas?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest with you, I don't live in Birmingham, I've just been looking cos I may be moving there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elsewer
Thanks :smile: Any sites you'd recommend for looking for one? How do I go about explaining I might be on DSS even if I'm not at the outset?

Just type in a city and then rent on google, loads of sites will come up. Price compare.

No idea about that, I don't have a clue when it comes to stuff like that.
Sheffield is the cheapest city, I've seen £40 a week rents (not bills) there.
Original post by Elsewer

This site seems pretty good:

https://www.roombuddies.co.uk/rooms-to-rent/533161281BB9D

It tells you what is and isn't accepted and it has some places going really cheap. Though I think the advert I linked may be old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending