The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
He should have concluded with

HAPAX LEGOMENON

He's a top lad, went to my school
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol is anyone else bothered about getting 100 UMS in exams. I want it but dont know why im aiming for 100s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in the slightest. I'm aiming for that (as on overshoot in case something goes wrong) but as long as I meet my offer I'm not bothered!
Maybe something to do with wanting to be the best at what you do? It's probably a good thing :smile:
Original post by cerlohee
Not in the slightest. I'm aiming for that (as on overshoot in case something goes wrong) but as long as I meet my offer I'm not bothered!
Maybe something to do with wanting to be the best at what you do? It's probably a good thing :smile:

I need like low 80s for A*FM and 90 in c3/4 for A* M.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
I don't mind private ownership. I dislike the idea of a single individual owning a majority of the countries media. There are laws against such market dominance in other area's and so it seems ludicrous that we allow one individual to have so much power sway our governments, our politics and as a direct consequence our day to day lives.

Most news outlets exhibit obviously biased, is it really democratic therefore that we allow such large news corporations to exist?

Why on earth would you want the media to be 'democratic'? As it stands, if a particular group of people is interested in reading about or learning about a particular thing, they can do so. If you were to democratize the media, only the interests of the majority would be served by it. That seems to me nothing other than an absolutely hideous prospect.

More to the point, I am quite sure that readers of the Daily Mail and other Murdochian productions are considerably more numerous than readers of many other things. As it stands, then, all adding a 'democratic' element would do is to make the domination of those publications more absolute.

Besides, what is the problem with publications being biased? We cannot have unbiased media - it does not exist, and is impossible to produce. We should surely be more concerned by publications pretending to be unbiased when they patently are not... BBC anyone?

Original post by Elcor
I'm DEFINITELY not gonna get as high UMS as I did last year. Everything's gotten harder, but the grade boundaries have stayed the same (since the standard's better at A2). If I meet my offer it won't be by a stunning victory haha.

This is exactly how I feel. I was really surprised by my grades last year, this year I am not having any good surprises....

Lol is anyone else bothered about getting 100 UMS in exams. I want it but dont know why im aiming for 100s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was, I think I've sort of given up now. Starting to wish I'd done worse last year, so I wouldn't have upstaged myself for this year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tomfailinghelp

The BBC is criticised for being left wing and yet it's political editor is well know to support the conservative party. I feel that that the BBC is an example of a good media company, It is impossible to rid the media of biased as it is inherent in those who research and write for it but to minimise it is possible; I believe that the BBC does a good job of this.

Everybody whose opinion is worth anything at all knows you can't make a proper judgement only reading one side of the story but one side of the story is exactly what the majority of the right wing written press gives us with our morning papers.
Original post by Goods
The BBC is criticised for being left wing and yet it's political editor is well know to support the conservative party. I feel that that the BBC is an example of a good media company, It is impossible to rid the media of biased as it is inherent in those who research and write for it but to minimise it is possible; I believe that the BBC does a good job of this.

Everybody whose opinion is worth anything at all knows you can't make a proper judgement only reading one side of the story but one side of the story is exactly what the majority of the right wing written press gives us with our morning papers.

Politics aside, the BBC is pretty bad for giving world news. Only Al Jazeera does it flawlessly.
Reply 2106
I need like low 80s for A*FM and 90 in c3/4 for A* M.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you already done some A2 FM then?
Original post by bafid
Have you already done some A2 FM then?

Yh did M2 last and got 100 last year so it really helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2108
Yh did M2 last and got 100 last year so it really helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats sick, I'd love to have that buffer but its annoying - I only did AS units last year so nothing I've done counts for **** really when it comes to getting the A*s I need. But I've got M2 on Wednesday and hopefully I should be able to get 100 in it as its my best module, then I'll be in the same position as you but also having to get an A* in Chemistry or Physics but Ill worry about that later at least I dont have step :smile:
Original post by Goods
just checking!

http://www.cuca.org.uk/ have fun !

Do you think a democracy implies individuals making decisions based on self interest or individuals making decisions based on what they think will be better for society as a whole.. or a mixture?

I would argue my case for conservatives (and more passionately the case against labour) but honestly what is the best possible outcome of that..

Also, do you agree that the left/right spectrum is dated? If I had any power I would look to see the best policies on an individual basis, remaining politically and ideologically neutral. I could find things I like in anything from communism to fascism to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bafid
Thats sick, I'd love to have that buffer but its annoying - I only did AS units last year so nothing I've done counts for **** really when it comes to getting the A*s I need. But I've got M2 on Wednesday and hopefully I should be able to get 100 in it as its my best module, then I'll be in the same position as you but also having to get an A* in Chemistry or Physics but Ill worry about that later at least I dont have step :smile:

Even if i mess that up I still have FP2/3 M3/4 and S2 available for the A* and i can pretty much get 90+ in all of them except S2(cant remember any of it now lol).
Yh need to get back onto step as I havent done much for the last week 😁.
Good luck with M2, just check your work frequently and set work out neatly so easy to spot mistakes. I made a mistake and when a looked back over it i quickly changed it which wouldve cost me 4-5 marks, mechanics is very very dangerous in them cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started on Past Papers.

F324/5 are good, quite happy because I didn't have to like read through notes repeatedly or anything, it just makes sense. Apart from some one markers, or suggest questions about magic tang lmao

G484 simplified M3

FP2/S2/S3 we did mocks and they were good

Haven't touched G485 papers though, we haven't finished still...

French, lol

This year is virtually nothing compared to last year where I had biology to think about :puke:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Started on Past Papers.

F324/5 are good, quite happy because I didn't have to like read through notes repeatedly or anything, it just makes sense. Apart from some one markers, or suggest questions about magic tang lmao

G484 simplified M3

FP2/S2/S3 we did mocks and they were good

Haven't touched G485 papers though, we haven't finished still...

French, lol

This year is virtually nothing compared to last year where I had biology to think about :puke:

Arghhh you've just brought up the terrible memories of magic tango I have from last year! That's something you will never forget 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Do you think a democracy implies individuals making decisions based on self interest or individuals making decisions based on what they think will be better for society as a whole.. or a mixture?

I would argue my case for conservatives (and more passionately the case against labour) but honestly what is the best possible outcome of that..

Also, do you agree that the left/right spectrum is dated? If I had any power I would look to see the best policies on an individual basis, remaining politically and ideologically neutral. I could find things I like in anything from communism to fascism to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I voted lib dem because I believe that we needed a voice of reason of fairness and the ideological centre ground to mediate the reactionary policies of both our main parties.

I think the problem with politics is that of majority government. The divide between rich and poor, urban and rural lifestyles is too large for a single party to represent us fairly. London is predominantly labour the northern industrial cities are labour arguable these places generate a lot of the tax revenue but will have no representation in how it is spent.

If your arguments against labour are over the economy then I must disagree economic stimulus would have help the economy recover far more quickly. The conservative government promised to eradicate the deficit based of the growth under gordon browns government and they only managed to halve it. They borrowed half a trillion sterling and used the media to skew public opinion to blame labour for a global crisis they presided over but did not cause.

The last government was not a conservative one they were held firmly in the centre by their lack of a majority. They opted for austerity rather than stimulus undoing browns two years of pumping money into the economy dare I say wasting it.

I agree the politics of individuals is not blue or red but because we rejected PR we have to treat it as such.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Goods
I voted lib dem because I believe that we needed a voice of reason of fairness and the ideological centre ground to mediate the reactionary policies of both our main parties.

I think the problem with politics is that of majority government. The divide between rich and poor, urban and rural lifestyles is too large for a single party to represent us fairly. London is predominantly labour the northern industrial cities are labour arguable these places generate a lot of the tax revenue but will have no representation in how it is spent.

If your arguments against labour are over the economy then I must disagree economic stimulus would have help the economy recover far more quickly. The conservative government promised to eradicate the deficit based of the growth under gordon browns government and they only managed to halve it. They borrowed half a trillion sterling and used the media to skew public opinion to blame labour for a global crisis they presided over but did not cause.

The last government was not a conservative one they were held firmly in the centre by their lack of a majority. They opted for austerity rather than stimulus undoing browns two years of pumping money into the economy dare I say wasting it.

I agree the politics of individuals is not blue or red but because we rejected PR we have to treat it as such.

I agree to some extent with what you're saying, about the difficulty of representing all the people of the country with one party. Particularly in the case of FPTP this is important, since it was only elected by a small portion of the electorate.

Would the best solution not be, then, just to give people control of their own money? You pointed out that people have little control over how their tax money is spent. Why not tax them less, and allow them to keep the money instead of having the government spend it? Seems a solution to me.
I agree to some extent with what you're saying, about the difficulty of representing all the people of the country with one party. Particularly in the case of FPTP this is important, since it was only elected by a small portion of the electorate.

Would the best solution not be, then, just to give people control of their own money? You pointed out that people have little control over how their tax money is spent. Why not tax them less, and allow them to keep the money instead of having the government spend it? Seems a solution to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/mar/21/budget-2014-tax-spending-visualised#img-1

That's a perfectly valid viewpoint. However if you cut taxes you have to cut public services. What would you cut?
THIS IS AN OFFER HOLDERS THREAD NOT AN ARENA FOR POLITICAL DISCUSSION FOR CURRENT STUDENTS OMFG MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD I AM SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THIS POLITICS LIB DEM ARE AWESOME TORRIES NOT SO MUCH AND GREENS ARE PLAIN RETARDED THAT'S THE CONCLUSION EVERYONE IS MAKING SO BE HAPPY AND LET'S DISCUSS HOW WE'LL ALL MESS UP OUR EXAMS AND NOT MEET OUR OFFERS AND GO TO ANOTHER INFERIOR UNI AND BE DEPRESSED FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES

Spoiler

Original post by Goods
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/mar/21/budget-2014-tax-spending-visualised#img-1

That's a perfectly valid viewpoint. However if you cut taxes you have to cut public services. What would you cut?

Everything. All of it. Make it all private. Problem solved!
Everything. All of it. Make it all private. Problem solved!

Very much in keeping with the person above's ideas! No politics, no political discussion...
Original post by Goods
Very much in keeping with the person above's ideas! No politics, no political discussion...

What is so bad about that? It is quite plain that 'politics', if that is what micromanaging the lives of individuals is to be called, causes a number of problems which we would be better off without. I don't suggest that my original statement should have been taken without a pinch of salt, but there's obviously a considerable element of truth to the claim that 'politics' so-called creates as many problems as it solves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending