The Student Room Group

Is £2100 Enough Money To Move Out On My Own? (Abusive Family)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SophieSmall
This site seems pretty good:

https://www.roombuddies.co.uk/rooms-to-rent/533161281BB9D

It tells you what is and isn't accepted and it has some places going really cheap. Though I think the advert I linked may be old.

Thanks so much :smile: £70 a month is ridiculously cheap, do you think they meant per week?

(Sorry for all the questions btw am just stressed and need to get out)
Original post by Elsewer
Thanks so much :smile: £70 a month is ridiculously cheap, do you think they meant per week?

(Sorry for all the questions btw am just stressed and need to get out)

Not sure, possible. Just found another one that allows DSS and JSA

https://www.roombuddies.co.uk/rooms-to-rent/5526C39036718

also seems very cheap, possible mistake. But it's also possible they could just be desperate to find someone.

Edit: just saw that advert has a minimum stay of one month and that's why it's so cray cheap, but that could possibly give you enough time to find a job and find another place to live long term
(edited 8 years ago)
Nuneaton is a small town which is quite nice, some areas are rough but there are a few nice villages. I lived there for most of my life and there were houses going for around 60k-90k (decent ones too, a friends went for 88k and was a 3 bed Victorian one) so I'm assuming the rent must be quite cheap.

It's generally quite a nice place and is central to everything, so give it a look:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by riamila
Nuneaton is a small town which is quite nice, some areas are rough but there are a few nice villages. I lived there for most of my life and there were houses going for around 60k-90k (decent ones too, a friends went for 88k and was a 3 bed Victorian one) so I'm assuming the rent must be quite cheap.

It's generally quite a nice place and is central to everything, so give it a look:smile:

Thanks :smile: It's on the train from here I'll definitely take look
Reply 24
Not sure, possible. Just found another one that allows DSS and JSA

https://www.roombuddies.co.uk/rooms-to-rent/5526C39036718

also seems very cheap, possible mistake. But it's also possible they could just be desperate to find someone.

Edit: just saw that advert has a minimum stay of one month and that's why it's so cray cheap, but that could possibly give you enough time to find a job and find another place to live long term

Thanks again. Is 1 month minimum stay considered a long time? I thought most people would be wanting at least 3 to 6 months' contract. :redface:

Do you reckon new housemates would judge me for being on jsa/not having friends etc.? I had this problem at uni too, my flatmates ended up bullying me :s-smilie:
Original post by Elsewer
Thanks again. Is 1 month minimum stay considered a long time? I thought most people would be wanting at least 3 to 6 months' contract. :redface:

Do you reckon new housemates would judge me for being on jsa/not having friends etc.? I had this problem at uni too, my flatmates ended up bullying me :s-smilie:

No 1 month is a very short contract, most are usually at least 12 months. Students can often get 9 month contracts though.

Hmm depends on the person really. Your flatmates sound like scum. At least if it's only a 1 month contract you won't be stuck with them for long if they are.
Reply 26
Original post by Elsewer
Got an abusive family, dropped out of uni due to depression/stress and made a couple of thousand very recently by selling stuff I owned.

I'm living with my family right now and its hell, got no friends I can stay with (socially anxious) and went on JSA for a bit but had to leave as I had to move from staying with one family member to staying with another and my address changed.

I'm 21 and have very little work experience and no referees but I'm willing to do anything, is moving out on my first and then applying for a job/Housing Benefit a good idea? I'd be willing to move to a really cheap part of the UK (ideas? somewhere like London probably isn't a good idea) because I have no ties anywhere.

Is there any chance I could be rejected for Housing Benefit and/or JSA? Should I look for a landlord that accepts DSS claimants even if I'm not on Housing Benefit at the moment? Do I find a place and then start claiming? Can only survive for a few months without it

PLEASE help. my family situation is horrible

Can you PM please - I left my abusive family recently and I can give you advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
No 1 month is a very short contract, most are usually at least 12 months. Students can often get 9 month contracts though.

Hmm depends on the person really. Your flatmates sound like scum. At least if it's only a 1 month contract you won't be stuck with them for long if they are.

Oh ok thanks again :smile:
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Sheffield is the cheapest city, I've seen £40 a week rents (not bills) there.

Poverty City Das why
£2100 and no job isn't going to get you very far - I know that's not what you want to hear but if you want honesty, there it is.

First, you need a job, not only will it help you to support yourself and pay your own rent and bills, it will give you a better chance of securing a place to live - a lot of private landlords don't like DSS.

Secondly, if you're looking at the lowest rent possible you're better sharing a house in a good/safe area than renting a cheap flat of your own in a crime ridden area. There's a site called 'myspareroom' which might be useful - there's loads of similar sites if you Google.
If you really don't want a house share and you want your own place, then my advice is not to look at big major cities because with your budget you will end up in a bad area. It would be better with a small budget to look at smaller towns and even villages where you can rent for £300-400p/m in a nice area. The problem with that is - there is less work in less populate areas so if you do this you will need to do your best to get work there OR makes sure there are good transport links to nearby towns/cities that you could commute to for work.

Finally - you need to factor in your deposit and up front rent. Most landlords ask for at least one months rent up front, but where I live it's 3 months and a typical deposit where I live is £800. So before you've even moved in you could be paying £2300 UPFRONT. Then you need to consider furnishing because most private rents are unfurnished. You'll need a bed/sofa/storage units and in many cases a fridge freezer and washing machine (+delivery charges) plus everyday items such as cutlery, plates, kettle, - that is easily going cost £300+ and you're going to need to transport your current belongings to your new address.

Since you're a single young person under 35, you are not going to get much assistance in terms of benefits (take a look here: http://www.nihe.gov.uk/single_under_35), so I cannot stress enough how much you really need to secure a job that pays enough to cover your rent and bills. It will be struggle, but it is possible - you need at least £15K annually - it will not give you a comfortable life, it will be difficult financially BUT that will allow you to live independently. So look for 15KP/A jobs in or close to a place with low rents and in the meantime find a means of raising some more money (sell your stuff) because ideally, you're going to need at least 3K to move out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by somethingbeautiful
£2100 and no job isn't going to get you very far - I know that's not what you want to hear but if you want honesty, there it is.

First, you need a job, not only will it help you to support yourself and pay your own rent and bills, it will give you a better chance of securing a place to live - a lot of private landlords don't like DSS.

Secondly, if you're looking at the lowest rent possible you're better sharing a house in a good/safe area than renting a cheap flat of your own in a crime ridden area. There's a site called 'myspareroom' which might be useful - there's loads of similar sites if you Google.
If you really don't want a house share and you want your own place, then my advice is not to look at big major cities because with your budget you will end up in a bad area. It would be better with a small budget to look at smaller towns and even villages where you can rent for £300-400p/m in a nice area. The problem with that is - there is less work in less populate areas so if you do this you will need to do your best to get work there OR makes sure there are good transport links to nearby towns/cities that you could commute to for work.

Finally - you need to factor in your deposit and up front rent. Most landlords ask for at least one months rent up front, but where I live it's 3 months and a typical deposit where I live is £800. So before you've even moved in you could be paying £2300 UPFRONT. Then you need to consider furnishing because most private rents are unfurnished. You'll need a bed/sofa/storage units and in many cases a fridge freezer and washing machine (+delivery charges) plus everyday items such as cutlery, plates, kettle, - that is easily going cost £300+ and you're going to need to transport your current belongings to your new address.

Since you're a single young person under 35, you are not going to get much assistance in terms of benefits (take a look here: http://www.nihe.gov.uk/single_under_35), so I cannot stress enough how much you really need to secure a job that pays enough to cover your rent and bills. It will be struggle, but it is possible - you need at least £15K annually - it will not give you a comfortable life, it will be difficult financially BUT that will allow you to live independently. So look for 15KP/A jobs in or close to a place with low rents and in the meantime find a means of raising some more money (sell your stuff) because ideally, you're going to need at least 3K to move out.

Thanks. I don't mind sharing, I'd prefer having company actually, just worried about being judged due to having depression/SA etc.

Where do you live out of curiosity? Been looking around but most private rents I've seen were furnished.

I've been on JSA before and like I said I got a few interviews, the main problem is referees though (I'd need to know someone for at least 3-6 months to get one and I'm not sure if I want to hang around in an unstable household for that long). However, I am still looking on my own, as well as looking for short work experience that I might get a referee from. Sold most things I have but working on the rest, it'll only get me a couple of hundred at most though.

Could I get advice from somewhere that deals with domestic abuse or do they mainly help women being abused by husbands? (not family in my case)
Original post by Elsewer
Thanks. I don't mind sharing, I'd prefer having company actually, just worried about being judged due to having depression/SA etc.

Where do you live out of curiosity? Been looking around but most private rents I've seen were furnished.

I've been on JSA before and like I said I got a few interviews, the main problem is referees though (I'd need to know someone for at least 3-6 months to get one and I'm not sure if I want to hang around in an unstable household for that long). However, I am still looking on my own, as well as looking for short work experience that I might get a referee from. Sold most things I have but working on the rest, it'll only get me a couple of hundred at most though.

Could I get advice from somewhere that deals with domestic abuse or do they mainly help women being abused by husbands? (not family in my case)

I think it would take a lot of financial pressure off you if you share but here's the thing - regardless of where you go/what type of work you do/where you live there are always going to be ignorant and judgmental people who make their minds up about people before getting to know them - so don't even bother worrying about that, those people aren't worth your worry. In my previous experience of house shares, I had one house share where we were all like best friends apart from one guy who moved in and didn't speak to us. We cooked together, went out together, went food shopping together etc BUT we were students and on the same course - so we had something in common/things to talk about. I'm still friends with the people from that house. But I since had 2 other house shares - in one we were friendly but didn't socialize or eat togehter etc and in the other one - I barely saw anyone of them (literally, I might pass them in the kitchen once a week!) and didn't even know their names - no one spoke to each other even though I made an effort .

So don't expect it to be like 'FRIENDS' where you all hang out for coffee and have a great time - it's hit and miss. Sometimes you make friends, sometimes you wouldn't be able to pick your housemates from a face in a crowd so to worry about them judging you is pointless from that perspective too.

As for references - just use a previous employer and put their name/company on application forms or name a teacher that remembers you. If you've done any voluntary work use a name from that. You can actually use a personal reference in some cases (e.g. NHS jobs).

How come you're not currently on JSA? If you're eligible you should sign on. There might be local charitable organisations that can advise you on your circumstances - try googling some key words and your town name. The Citizen's Advice Bureau might be a good place to contact too. As for raising more cash - forget about that if you're going to go for a house share, £2100 will be fine. As for where I live - I'd rather not say but I'm 'between' places at the moment - one is a major UK city and the other is the complete opposite, I've found it easier to find job vacancies in the less populated area - the problem is transportation and wages.
Reply 32
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I think it would take a lot of financial pressure off you if you share but here's the thing - regardless of where you go/what type of work you do/where you live there are always going to be ignorant and judgmental people who make their minds up about people before getting to know them - so don't even bother worrying about that, those people aren't worth your worry. In my previous experience of house shares, I had one house share where we were all like best friends apart from one guy who moved in and didn't speak to us. We cooked together, went out together, went food shopping together etc BUT we were students and on the same course - so we had something in common/things to talk about. I'm still friends with the people from that house. But I since had 2 other house shares - in one we were friendly but didn't socialize or eat togehter etc and in the other one - I barely saw anyone of them (literally, I might pass them in the kitchen once a week!) and didn't even know their names - no one spoke to each other even though I made an effort .

So don't expect it to be like 'FRIENDS' where you all hang out for coffee and have a great time - it's hit and miss. Sometimes you make friends, sometimes you wouldn't be able to pick your housemates from a face in a crowd so to worry about them judging you is pointless from that perspective too.

As for references - just use a previous employer and put their name/company on application forms or name a teacher that remembers you. If you've done any voluntary work use a name from that. You can actually use a personal reference in some cases (e.g. NHS jobs).

How come you're not currently on JSA? If you're eligible you should sign on. There might be local charitable organisations that can advise you on your circumstances - try googling some key words and your town name. The Citizen's Advice Bureau might be a good place to contact too. As for raising more cash - forget about that if you're going to go for a house share, £2100 will be fine. As for where I live - I'd rather not say but I'm 'between' places at the moment - one is a major UK city and the other is the complete opposite, I've found it easier to find job vacancies in the less populated area - the problem is transportation and wages.

Thanks.
Reply 33
£2100 is enough for deposit plus 2/3 months rent BUT a landlord will require either a guarantor (someone who signs to say they are responsible for the rent if you can't pay) or proof of a stable income in which they usually (but not all) rule out benefits. Maybe you should go talk to someone to see if you would be entitled to any housing benefits or help in finding accommodation. Just keep looking for jobs and don't be fussy with what you applying for, my flatmate refused to work in retail and took 7 months to find a job, remember you can always keep looking and quit when something better comes up.
a big northern city non coastal, low rent and plenty of job opportunities in maybe retail or fast food if you have nothing else available
Look up North, Cumbria or Yorkshire are pleasant places based on what I've seen, avoid living in major cities at all costs as it is actually pretty dangerous at times on your own. 2.1k is not enough sadly, you need to find a stable job or ask another family member if they're ok with you moving in whilst you save up(paying rent will increase your chances of them being more open to the idea). Contact the local authority for advise if you're completely stuck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending