The Student Room Group

I've recently travelled solo for 3 months - Ask Me Anything

I've seen a number of posts on this travel section from people talking along the lines of solo travel.

Things like "What if this happened?" "Is it safe?" "Would it be better if a friend was with me?" "I don't think I have the confidence" etc etc. I can remember what it was like thinking things like that before embarking on such a trip.

Well I've recently got back from a 3 month solo stint around South East Asia and it was probably the best thing I've ever done. I wish I was out there for longer.

I'm a 21 year old guy. I also met plenty of young and old travelers from all over the world in the same boat traveling solo.

So yeah, fire away. Anything you need to know then get it off your chest and I'll give you it back from a truthful and fresh perspective.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VivaJake
I've seen a number of posts on this travel section from people talking along the lines of solo travel.

Things like "What if this happened?" "Is it safe?" "Would it be better if a friend was with me?" "I don't think I have the confidence" etc etc. I can remember what it was like thinking things like that before embarking on such a trip.

Well I've recently got back from a 3 month solo stint around South East Asia and it was probably the best thing I've ever done. I wish I was out there for longer.

I'm a 21 year old guy. I also met plenty of young and old travelers from all over the world in the same boat traveling solo.

So yeah, fire away. Anything you need to know then get it off your chest and I'll give you it back from a truthful and fresh perspective.

Sounds fun! I'm thinking of going soon, so two questions.

-How much did it cost you roughly?
-Did you meet anyone while you were there or was it quite lonely?
1. Favourite place?
2. One travel essential?
3. One thing you brought that you could have done without?
What is the best part of travelling solo?
Reply 4
Original post by caveman1234
Sounds fun! I'm thinking of going soon, so two questions.

-How much did it cost you roughly?

-Did you meet anyone while you were there or was it quite lonely?

I was lucky in the flights department - got a return Bangkok flight for £465. I booked that 6 weeks before I left. But in terms of spends? Maybe approx 2 grand for the whole 3 months. If you're a pro with the budget you could probably do it with less than that, but in certain places around SE Asia it's pretty cheap. There were weeks where I was getting by on around £20 a day - that included a place to stay, a few decent meals and a night out. I was drinking pretty much every night so that's where the majority of my budget went.

You meet plenty of people there. In fact, you're never actually alone. You're only alone when you really want to be. Solo travelers tend to stay in hostels and boy are hostels fun. I traveled with a guy from Newcastle and a girl from France for about 7 weeks of that trip, with 'reoccurring characters' who I'd met in previous parts of my trip randomly making and appearance and then they'd join forces for any similar route you're doing. I met plenty of great people in general. I did rather well on the female front too.
Reply 5
Original post by welcometoib
assuming youre white, how easy was it to get girls to spread their legs? also how much was it, and how has it changed your life etc etc

Depends how good you are with women in general I suppose. I did well personally, and even some of the lesser looking guys I traveled with at times didn't do too bad for themselves along the way I guess. The less you expect, the more you end up getting. I got with my fair share in the end, ranging from Brazil to Japan to sunny old Leeds to name a few.

It's definitely made me want to get back out there and do another trip. You can't just settle back to normal life after doing a trip like that.
Reply 6
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
1. Favourite place?
2. One travel essential?
3. One thing you brought that you could have done without?

1. Pai, Thailand. Went with the intention of 2 nights to see what it was all about and I ended up staying for 7. That place was something special. Little town in the mountains of Thailand. Chilled out atmosphere, beers and music around the campfire every night and an array of ridiculous hot girls. The group I was with at that stage of my trip play a part too. Honorable mentions for Koh Tao (Thailand), Luang Prabang (Laos), Siem Reap (Cambodia) and Koh Rong (Cambodia).

2. An Ipad or Android device. Common knowledge and a standard procedure to have in this day and age but they're very useful for booking things in relation to the trip like places to stay etc. They're very compact and easy to carry with you unlike a laptop or something.

3. Too many shirts. I stupidly brought about 12 with me when about 5 would've done.
Reply 7
Original post by MsFahima
What is the best part of travelling solo?

- Meeting and bonding with random people who are in the same boat as you. They don't know you as good as your friends know you so it's cool meeting new people in that way.
- Staying at hostels. I stayed in some really cool places for about £3 a night on average.
- Experiencing new cultures and trying new foods.
- Various funny nights out with people you've just met.
- Hooking up with girls from over the world you wouldn't have the chance with back at home.
did you go after graduating and have you found a job if so, or are you doing a gap year
Reply 9
Original post by Lisagurlxx
did you go after graduating and have you found a job if so, or are you doing a gap year

Gap year and back to my regular job at the minute. Hoping to fit in a 6-8 week trip though in the summer before I head back to uni in September.
Gap year and back to my regular job at the minute. Hoping to fit in a 6-8 week trip though in the summer before I head back to uni in September.

what do you work as?

also graduated recently and working full time, not sure if i should travel or save that instead
Original post by Lisagurlxx
what do you work as?

also graduated recently and working full time, not sure if i should travel or save that instead

I'd say it could be a good move to travel as soon as the opportunity is there. It obviously depends on whatever your working situation is but I met plenty out there that have graduated and gone backpacking before setting down with a job right away. Some even stay out there and work etc to avoid the mundane life of the real world.
I've been thinking about this, so I'm happy you're here! :smile: xx

How much money did you need, and how did you save for it (don't have to give figures just a rough estimate)?

Even though you went solo, how much of the day was spent alone?

Did you ever get lonely or homesick?

Did you get any weird stares, or anybody questioning you, say at dinner or whatever?

Have you stayed in contact with anyone you met there?
What is your favourite colour?
This sounds so cool :biggrin: I have a few questions!
Firstly, how did you travel from town to town, public transport, or mostly walking? (If walking) were there ever days you couldn't make it to a hostel because you were inbetween places??
Did you have a set list of destinations, or maybe a start and finish point?
Was language a problem??
Cheers :biggrin:

I know its something special traveling somewhere on your own. Meeting and going around with people you meet out there is amazing. :biggrin: What was it like being out there for so long ie past the usual 2 week+ period
I'd absolutely love to do this, probably will within the next couple of years. What drew you to south-east Asia?
Original post by NeverTooLatte
I've been thinking about this, so I'm happy you're here! :smile: xx

How much money did you need, and how did you save for it (don't have to give figures just a rough estimate)?

Even though you went solo, how much of the day was spent alone?

Did you ever get lonely or homesick?

Did you get any weird stares, or anybody questioning you, say at dinner or whatever?

Have you stayed in contact with anyone you met there?

I was planning a trip like this for at least a year, so it was a combined effort of working and any savings that I had there. £2 grand for 3 months in SE Asia is a realistic amount.

I was only alone when I felt like doing my own thing. Even when you're in a little group you've been traveling for a bit you split up in the day, do your own thing if you want and then regroup in the evening. Just how I liked it really. Also if you have you traveling to the next place, that usually ends up in an "I'll be there in a couple of days so I'll meet you there" if no one is travelling that route with you that day.

I felt pretty lonely on the first week at times. I had a few heavy nights in Bangkok and some horrific hangovers to go with it and it also put into question if I could handle it all for 3 months being on the other side of the world essentially on my own. The thought of having no shoulder to cry on if the going ever got tough made it difficult. Getting to grips with living out of a backpack and sleeping in hostels took some getting used to as well. But as soon as you decide to stick it out and carry on going the more you love it and can't wait to see what happens next. The more the trip went on, the more those hangovers turned out to be a funny part of the next day as you and the people you're traveling with take the p*ss out of some of the funny and crazy sh*t out of the stuff that happened the night before. The only thing I truly missed about home was my dog.

No weird stares or anything. I once had an annoying Canadian girl get all butthurt because I wasn't a vegetarian like her though.

I obviously have a few I met out there on Facebook, but realistically I'll probably only meet up with a handful of them again in person. Some are still out there and by the time they're back I'll probably be on another trip myself.
Original post by Gazzaaa
What is your favourite colour?

I'd always pick the fire type on Pokemon so probably red.
Original post by AndyW123
This sounds so cool :biggrin: I have a few questions!
Firstly, how did you travel from town to town, public transport, or mostly walking? (If walking) were there ever days you couldn't make it to a hostel because you were inbetween places??
Did you have a set list of destinations, or maybe a start and finish point?
Was language a problem??
Cheers :biggrin:

Coaches, mini buses and trains mainly. Overnight sleeper coaches are useful as you can class it as accommodation and sleep.

I had a rough itinerary. I knew I'd be going Thailand, Laos and Cambodia but I didn't have specific dates or anything. I didn't actually plan much out there as my plans would change all the time. My travel style was along the lines of half hearted split second decisions and just seeing where we ended up - probably the best way.

Language wasn't really a problem unless you're trying to get complicated directions from random local people.

Quick Reply

Latest