The Student Room Group

I've recently travelled solo for 3 months - Ask Me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by holmes221
I know its something special traveling somewhere on your own. Meeting and going around with people you meet out there is amazing. :biggrin: What was it like being out there for so long ie past the usual 2 week+ period

When you talk to people and hear where they're going next and then you say that you're there in 2 months yourself. That's when I though to myself "Sh*t, I'm still here doing this in 2 months?!" That's when you realize that it's not a holiday, it's a trip. It's strange at first, but you get used to it and look forward to whatever the next place has to offer.
Original post by Dr Pesto
I'd absolutely love to do this, probably will within the next couple of years. What drew you to south-east Asia?

Do it!

It was deemed to be the best place for a starter, due to the fair pricing and the fact that it's rather easy to get around. It had a bit of everything of what I was after - beaches, city life, villages, jungles, mountain towns. I knew a good few people that done a trip there like what I went on to do and their stories made me want to do it. I read plenty of blogs and fun experiences that people had there too.
Reply 22
Is it easy to pick up women? Aha..
Original post by 105263
Is it easy to pick up women? Aha..

Ha.. I've answered this already.

I'm pretty confident, not bad looking and don't do too bad for myself anyway, so it wasn't too much of a big deal for me. But yeah, it isn't too difficult and it helps if you have something about you.
Original post by VivaJake
When you talk to people and hear where they're going next and then you say that you're there in 2 months yourself. That's when I though to myself "Sh*t, I'm still here doing this in 2 months?!" That's when you realize that it's not a holiday, it's a trip. It's strange at first, but you get used to it and look forward to whatever the next place has to offer.

Now you've been out there on your own to another country how do you feel when your friends back home get insecure about what other people think of them / scared if you leave them alone for just a few minutes in a bar / social environment / abroad - when out with them etc etc? XD
What were beach parties like? How would a night transition from chilling in the areas to partying? Are there alot of local women involved or is it mostly tourists? Can you get a job there?
Original post by holmes221
Now you've been out there on your own to another country how do you feel when your friends back home get insecure about what other people think of them / scared if you leave them alone for just a few minutes in a bar / social environment / abroad - when out with them etc etc? XD

There were times where I went out on my own on my travels and had some great nights. You don't really care what anyone thinks of you out there. Then again, if you went out on your own here it's probably the assumption of "no friends" I guess. Out there however people see it as brave and cool.

It's a shame really as too many people here have the mindset that they can't too anything without friends. I'm a holiday with mates, travel alone guy obviously but people need to grow some balls and realize that you don't ALWAYS need to have friends there for certain experiences.
Original post by Charles97
What were beach parties like? How would a night transition from chilling in the areas to partying? Are there alot of local women involved or is it mostly tourists? Can you get a job there?

The beach parties were great and always guaranteed to be a cool night. Mainly other travelers. It would transition like any other night - the vibe gradually glides into it I guess. Truthfully I always stayed clear of the local women and played it safe. But the ones that were about in those sort of nights always seemed to be up to or after something. Yeah people get jobs out there when they're starting to die on their arse and need to top up the funds to carry on. Whether it be a bar job or a qualified diving instructor or something.
The beach parties were great and always guaranteed to be a cool night. Mainly other travelers. It would transition like any other night - the vibe gradually glides into it I guess. Truthfully I always stayed clear of the local women and played it safe. But the ones that were about in those sort of nights always seemed to be up to or after something. Yeah people get jobs out there when they're starting to die on their arse and need to top up the funds to carry on. Whether it be a bar job or a qualified diving instructor or something.

Im considering bangkok as a starting position, i know it'll depend on what everyones doing but what is a must do route from here? and what beaches were they? is it anything like Duke Dumonts I got U vid? :biggrin: and good advice, ill stick to tourists haha thanks! thinking of heading out july with someone and meeting someone there but not too sure yet
There were times where I went out on my own on my travels and had some great nights. You don't really care what anyone thinks of you out there. Then again, if you went out on your own here it's probably the assumption of "no friends" I guess. Out there however people see it as brave and cool.

It's a shame really as too many people here have the mindset that they can't too anything without friends. I'm a holiday with mates, travel alone guy obviously but people need to grow some balls and realize that you don't ALWAYS need to have friends there for certain experiences.

Exactly man. I realised a while back that if I wanted to travel somewhere then if my friends didn't want to go it wasnt going to restrict my decision to go there. And if parents didnt like it, tough ****! Very liberating.

Even when you are with mates abroad its good to go around separately for a bit I found. But often people want to cling to you like a barnacle on a ship. XD
Were any of the girls you met travelling solo? It's seen as more dangerous for females to travel alone.
Do it!

It was deemed to be the best place for a starter, due to the fair pricing and the fact that it's rather easy to get around. It had a bit of everything of what I was after - beaches, city life, villages, jungles, mountain towns. I knew a good few people that done a trip there like what I went on to do and their stories made me want to do it. I read plenty of blogs and fun experiences that people had there too.

Did you experience much of a language barrier problem while you were travelling?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest