The Student Room Group

64% of the UK did not want David Cameron as priminister

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ridwan12
AV was kinda weird though and not many countries use it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-sixty-per-cent-of-people-want-voting-reform-says-survey-10224354.html

60% of people want it now and the public is more aware of PR and it is already partially in use in scotland for Holyrood elections.

I'm one of the people who wants PR, so I hope you're right. Anyway the point relating to this thread is that FPTP is the system we're currently using, and the result under FPTP was a fair Conservative win. The overall proportion of votes is completely normal at 36%. It has been higher, and it has been lower, in the past.
Original post by Maid Marian
Bear, you are far too flirty:sly:

[scrollr]:flute:[/scrollr]
Original post by Tawheed
Almost 2/3rds of the UK did not want the conservatives to be in government - and they are.

Thoughts on this?

This isn't a random figure, i go by the total votes, which put tories at around 36% of the vote. Infact, only 6% more than labour who had 30%. So much for democracy even though i can't think of a better system as yet to supply a majority government.

Original post by Bill_Gates
We got the man we wanted, the man we needed = David Cameron.

Cut the benefits right away!

What I don't understand is how UKIP came third but only got one seat. wat wat wat

You are being ruled by a tyranny of the minority.

Today the British people are going be governed by a party that secured 36% of the vote but thanks to our FPTP voting system grab 51% of the seats. All the policies and laws that will be imposed on you by the UK government will be because 36% gave their consent. What about the 64% that did not give their consent? If you heard that Putin imposed laws on the Russian people against the majority we would cry foul. If we heard the Obama administration imposed laws on the American people despite losing a referendum we would cry foul. But when the UK government impose laws despite not winning 64% of the vote we do what?

It is time we stopped this madness, time we realise that it is not 1900s any more and that the needs of this country far outweigh the benefits FPTP gives any one party. Our concept of democracy has always evolved in response to the times. Where once we thought it was democratic to deny black people the right to vote, where we once we thought it right to deny women the right to vote and even the working class (without property) too. We thankfully don't any more. Black, female and working class. A description that fits my grandmother and I guess helps to partly explain why the issue of representation and democracy makes me so passionate. She has always reminded me of the ridicule her mother got for calling for better representation, whenever I bored her about my desire for a better more proportional voting system.

Is British democracy as bad as it was before 1928? of course not. But can it improve? damn right it can. My great grandmother was a black working class female. A Labour supporter (supposedly) who died too early and never got the chance to have her voice fairly represented. Perhaps it's time we gave the millions of under represented voters in the United Kingdom a stronger voice?

Let 2020 election be the first British election that never waste a vote again.

Please support this petition for a fairer and more proportional voting system. Together we can force the agenda on electoral reform.
https://www.change.org/p/party-leaders-reform-our-voting-system-to-make-it-fair-and-representative-makeseatsmatchvotes?source_location=trending_petitions_home_page&algorithm=curated_trending
200,000 supporters and counting.

Yes I know we had a AV referendum but that was on a low turn out, AV wasn't really wanted by PR enthusiasts and now millions more have had their vote wasted they may realise what needs to be done.
So what will people do if a PR referendum is rejected? Will they then be calling for STV or demanding a re-run 5 years later?

Colossal waste of money tbh.
Original post by felamaslen
This situation is nothing new. The people rejected AV in the referendum a couple of years ago, remember?

Because AV isn't something a lot of people want, those that want a broken system like FPTP will be against it, and those that want a representative system would prefer to go further.

Like many people, I want my vote to be represented in government. With both FPTP and AV, this does not happen.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Labour won a majority in 2005 with 35.2% of the vote. Didn't hear any left wing hypocrites crying about how un-democratic it was then.

Erm... I was crying about it since I was about 13 :rolleyes:

It is something labour said they would do as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm one of the people who wants PR,

Added to my list of what me and felamaslen agree on. :tongue:
...I think that's terribly unfair. Smaller parties have virtually no chance!

Yep. Also means the bigger parties can be more complacence as they face less competition. These are the same people that think competition is vital but do everything they can to stifle it in our electoral system.

Green would have something like 25 MPs if we had PR I believe. UKIP 83. Instead they both have 1 :s-smilie:

Now sign this petition :yy:
http://action.electoral-reform.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1754&ea.campaign.id=28758
(edited 8 years ago)
Funny. If Labour got in there wouldn't be riots like this.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Because AV isn't something a lot of people want, those that want a broken system like FPTP will be against it, and those that want a representative system would prefer to go further.

Like many people, I want my vote to be represented in government. With both FPTP and AV, this does not happen.

We've had FPTP since time immemorial, must we go on about its flaws every time we have an election? 64% of the popular vote going to someone other than the PM is not uncommon.
We've had FPTP since time immemorial, must we go on about its flaws every time we have an election?

Yes, we must. Until it changes.
Original post by Farm_Ecology

This is revisionist history. Most people did not reject AV out of disgust that it wasn't PR; they rejected AV out of a positive desire for FPTP. You may disagree with those people, and some of them who made that choice on the expectation of a Labour majority in 2015 might have self-interested reasons to have changed their mind in the past few days, but there is no reasonable argument that the voting system or the outcome of the latest election are illegitimate. FPTP has been explicitly endorsed by a large majority of the population through the most representative possible mechanism.
Oh dear, the logical fallacy of: If you don't vote for them, you vote against the baby eaters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 133
More people wanted David Cameron to be Prime Minister than anyone else.

See? I can also use the statistics to push a point of view. Although there may be a case for saying that FPTP can lead to a representation in Parliament which does not fully respect the overall political mood of the nation; it leads to a representation of the aggregate of the political moods within different constituencies, which may not be equivalent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
Almost 2/3rds of the UK did not want the conservatives to be in government - and they are.

Thoughts on this?

This isn't a random figure, i go by the total votes, which put tories at around 36% of the vote. Infact, only 6% more than labour who had 30%. So much for democracy even though i can't think of a better system as yet to supply a majority government.

Tough nuggets..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending