The Student Room Group

Landing an Entry/Junior IT Support Technician Role W/ A BTEC Diploma And No Exp

So I'm in my late 20s and looking to break into the IT support sector. I am ideally looking for an entry/junior role in a small school or somewhere similar (i.e. a single location as I don't drive).
I have a BTEC National Diploma in IT System Support and a couple of GCSEs but no previous experience in the support field.

How likely am I to bag a job fitting this criteria?

Any input will be appreciated.
Original post by Mr Black Magic

You will never know until you try. Time is ticking - get on with it. And the very best of luck! Job hunting is a relentless and thankless task. Prepare yourself for setbacks and think of it as a journey where setbacks are part of the process that enables you to reach your goal.

Once again, good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
You will never know until you try. Time is ticking - get on with it. And the very best of luck! Job hunting is a relentless and thankless task. Prepare yourself for setbacks and think of it as a journey where setbacks are part of the process that enables you to reach your goal.

Once again, good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. Any recommendations on areas and technologies I should familiarise myself with?
Do you think I could get away with PC hardware/networking knowledge and experience in Win7/8 environments?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the encouragement. Any recommendations on areas and technologies I should familiarise myself with?
Do you think I could get away with PC hardware/networking knowledge and experience in Win7/8 environments?

That is as a good a start as any. Stoking up the old Googley-woogley search engine for job adverts will also show the sort of nice-to-haves companies are looking for. Once you have a job, you can start having a think about the direction you want to go and then start engineering opportunities to move in that direction.

My first job as a placement student was a network admin for a small traffic consultancy. By the end of my year, I had helped design many of the roads around the Trafford Centre. It is funny how life works out! :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 4
So I'm in my late 20s and looking to break into the IT support sector. I am ideally looking for an entry/junior role in a small school or somewhere similar (i.e. a single location as I don't drive).
I have a BTEC National Diploma in IT System Support and a couple of GCSEs but no previous experience in the support field.

Any input will be appreciated.

Im in the same position as you (also same age-ish) from what I've seen, Microsoft certifications seem to be the way to go, though for an entry positon your BTEC may be ok. Its all luck of the draw, Ive seen entry positions asking for no experience and just an interest in IT. go on www.techexams.net

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByEeek
That is as a good a start as any. Stoking up the old Googley-woogley search engine for job adverts will also show the sort of nice-to-haves companies are looking for. Once you have a job, you can start having a think about the direction you want to go and then start engineering opportunities to move in that direction.

My first job as a placement student was a network admin for a small traffic consultancy. By the end of my year, I had helped design many of the roads around the Trafford Centre. It is funny how life works out! :smile:

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Original post by T.I.P
Im in the same position as you (also same age-ish) from what I've seen, Microsoft certifications seem to be the way to go, though for an entry positon your BTEC may be ok. Its all luck of the draw, Ive seen entry positions asking for no experience and just an interest in IT. go on www.techexams.net

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for link man.
I'm just looking to get my foot in the door at the moment. Hopefully my BTEC and some intense self learning will suffice.
Reply 6
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for link man.
I'm just looking to get my foot in the door at the moment. Hopefully my BTEC and some intense self learning will suffice.

I advise you to get Windows Operating System Funtamentals wriiten by Tom Carpenter and Mike Myeres Comptia A+ book, also checkout proffessor messers free training videos. Im currently studing for an entry certificate. If I was in your shoes as in had a BTEC I would seriously be studying for ITIL Foundation, its really in demand now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Email local school inquiring about some kind of training scheme/opportunity. Sell yourself a bit. It is what I did to my old school. As such i'm now in talks with them to go there for a year to be fully trained. :smile:

Other than hardware and software info you'll need to know about Active directory and group policy. They play quite a large part in the network management side of things.
Original post by T.I.P
I advise you to get Windows Operating System Funtamentals wriiten by Tom Carpenter and Mike Myeres Comptia A+ book, also checkout proffessor messers free training videos. Im currently studing for an entry certificate. If I was in your shoes as in had a BTEC I would seriously be studying for ITIL Foundation, its really in demand now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I've heard of the ITIL qualification before, never knew there was a demand for it. Are you looking to go into service delivery?

Original post by 8472
Email local school inquiring about some kind of training scheme/opportunity. Sell yourself a bit. It is what I did to my old school. As such i'm now in talks with them to go there for a year to be fully trained. :smile:

Other than hardware and software info you'll need to know about Active directory and group policy. They play quite a large part in the network management side of things.

The IT departments in many of the local schools around my area have been swallowed up by larger service delivery organisations. Just gotta keep looking around I suppose.

Thanks anyway man.
If you have the time to study for the CompTIA A+ cert, then do that - it's always seen as a desirable for entry-level IT support. And yes, ITIL Foundation looks good too.

There are 1st line IT Support roles out there that don't specify experience you just have to be patient and look carefully.
Reply 10
Original post by bachus2015
If you have the time to study for the CompTIA A+ cert, then do that - it's always seen as a desirable for entry-level IT support. And yes, ITIL Foundation looks good too.

There are 1st line IT Support roles out there that don't specify experience you just have to be patient and look carefully.

Wouldnt bother with Comptia.. its not that recognised in the uk tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I've seen it as a desirable certificate in a lot of entry-level IT vacancies. Definately not at a more senior level obviously but as entry level I think it would hold up.
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Disagree to be honest. For someone with little or no IT knowledge this is an ideal certificate to gain. You learn the fundamentals and essentials of a computer system, which is vital to work in IT.

Search the job marks listing it and it's actually a very popular certificate.
Reply 13
Original post by stephenwenn
Disagree to be honest. For someone with little or no IT knowledge this is an ideal certificate to gain. You learn the fundamentals and essentials of a computer system, which is vital to work in IT.

Search the job marks listing it and it's actually a very popular certificate.

0 jobs found on indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
0 jobs found on indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know what you're searching as I found 196. It's a world wide recognized qualification, and I take it that you haven't actually done it? If you did, you might learn something!
Reply 15
Original post by stephenwenn
Don't know what you're searching as I found 196. It's a world wide recognized qualification, and I take it that you haven't actually done it? If you did, you might learn something!

I have A+, N+ and Security+.. we are talking about jobs in the UK mate and 196 jobs found is a joke type MCSA and that 196 will have a 0 at the end. Where did you find these 196 jobs then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending