The Student Room Group

Genetic revision

Hi guys,

I know its the day before the exam, but, wanting to just fine tune my knowledge base.

I am a little shaky on genetic disorders and inheritance.

I chose D; 25%.

I thought, the father was H h and the mother h h.

But if she is h h; and the disorder is dominant, then wouldnt that mean there would need to be HH together? Using the genotype of father as H h and mother as h h, I get Hh Hh, hh, hh. Is that why the answer is 50%?
(edited 8 years ago)
The father is Hh and the mother is hh
This means it is 50%
H x h = Hh
H x h = Hh
h x h = hh
h x h = hh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by SaffSmith
The father is Hh and the mother is hh
This means it is 50%
H x h = Hh
H x h = Hh
h x h = hh
h x h = hh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought this was a dominant disorder, so the two dominant alleles would have to be present together; as in HH.

You got the same results as me it seems, but Im a little confused as to how to properly interpet them. I am leaning towards that it is the Hh Hh; given that is dominant and the hh is the genotype of a non-sufferer of the condition. Is my thinking correct?
Original post by apronedsamurai
I thought this was a dominant disorder, so the two dominant alleles would have to be present together; as in HH.

You got the same results as me it seems, but Im a little confused as to how to properly interpet them. I am leaning towards that it is the Hh Hh; given that is dominant and the hh is the genotype of a non-sufferer of the condition. Is my thinking correct?

If it's dominant only one H needs to be present.

So: Hh hH all result in huntingtons for that question

So Yh 50%
Reply 4
Original post by Nucleotide
If it's dominant only one H needs to be present.

So: Hh hH all result in huntingtons for that question

So Yh 50%

Ok, stuck with this question,

Sex linked condititon, carrier female; (must be heterozygous) so H h

Male is un affected (must be homozygous dominant) HH

HxH=HH
H x H=HH
Hxh =Hh
Hxh=Hh

So, the answer is 50%?
Original post by apronedsamurai

It is a dominant condition so is cause by a dominant allele which is the D.
A dominant allele makes the phenotype whenever it is present i.e it doesn't not have to be DD, whenever a D is present in the phenotype that will control the phenotype.

I hope this is a bit clearer xx

Quick Reply

Latest