The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OL350
Reasonable paper in my opinion. For those who are criticising the exam for not allowing students to refer to their extensive knowledge on case studies, all geography exams are like that.

The only questions I found fairly difficult was the one on 'iHub' and how it causes more flows or something along those lines? What did everyone put for it?

I put 1. That it allows Africans to form global connections with other continents, it allows a spread of African culture, it boosts Africa economically as Africans become more wary of international events due to information flows, it allows potential to find business partners in other continents.

Probably not 100% correct, but still something to net you 2-4 marks.
Reply 21
Original post by Archdukes
Haha I forgot about Volcanic ash for the short term causes of climate change.
At least I didn't start to sob in the exam like one lad in front of the hall.

Did everyone else also do question 8? I did 9 but my entire class did 8. :/

I did Question 9, as did most people I asked. We pretty much all agreed it looked the easiest though I suppose it depends on which of your teachers taught you better etc
Reply 22
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Anyone else pick question 10 for section B?

Yes! How did you find it?
Reply 23
Anyone else pick question 10 for section B?

Meeeee. :biggrin:
Reply 24
I thought I only had 15 minutes left when we really had half an hour and rushed through the essay q. I really struggled with Q8 wish I picked Q10 :frown:

Paper was going well until I chose a bad essay q :frown:
Reply 25
What was the question about the south African farmers? Like what should they do?
An why are there droughts in Cali?
Can't wait till the next exam.
I literally messed up that exam. I rushed part B. So stupid.
Reply 28
What did everyone put for question 10?
Original post by sxxxxt
I thought it was quite silly. Obviously over revised case studies, content for them to only ask a few things. Disappointed that people who may have put loads of work in will not get as good grades as those who may have glimpsed through a revision book.

I found the essay questions to be as bad as each other!

Is anyone going to create an unofficial mark scheme?

I feel exactly the same! I revised loads especially on case studies and that paper won't even show that
Original post by OL350
Reasonable paper in my opinion. For those who are criticising the exam for not allowing students to refer to their extensive knowledge on case studies, all geography exams are like that.

The only questions I found fairly difficult was the one on 'iHub' and how it causes more flows or something along those lines? What did everyone put for it?

Something about increased TNCs due to attractiveness of now available Internet (linked this to low labour cost), then i also put something else about being able to keep in touch with news. Then I also put something about being able to trade more easily with other countries over the internet and so being more globalised. This was probably the hardest question...
Original post by sxxxxt
Meeeee. :biggrin:

Original post by OL350
Yes! How did you find it?

I thought it was good part b was to ask tall about Spain and the UK? For Poland to UK and UK to Spain
Original post by Manexopi
What was the question about the south African farmers? Like what should they do?

For California:
La nina, 10*-40* latitude putting it in a warm tropical climate, desert biome.
Am I the only one who found it relatively easy? We should never expect huge amounts of case studies to come up, they never do. I answered question 8 and got all that, so I was pretty happy with the paper :smile:
Original post by Manexopi

Droughts in cali as theres la nina. I wrote mediterranian climate as well so temps are high. Couldnt really expand on it.

The question about the farmers was what do they do to counter rainfall changes and high temps. Dont know about the latter but spoke about water conservation for the latter.

Original post by Archdukes
Can't wait till the next exam.

Any tips for time?
Reply 35
I thought it was good part b was to ask tall about Spain and the UK? For Poland to UK and UK to Spain

Pardon?
Don't mind me just unsubing from the thread.
Original post by subhan7863
Droughts in cali as theres la nina. I wrote mediterranian climate as well so temps are high. Couldnt really expand on it.

The question about the farmers was what do they do to counter rainfall changes and high temps. Dont know about the latter but spoke about water conservation for the latter.

Any tips for time?

Don't know what you are on about, but feel lucky that you don't have a history exam tomorrow, and a religious studies exam the next day, followed by our much awaited Geo2 exam.
Reply 38

I spoke about UK and Spain

Polish migrants helped UK tackle the ageing population as 80% of migrants were 34 or younger. This contrasts against Spain who now have an ageing population (demographic model)

Political issues - Spain natives accuse migrates of not integrating. Polish migration has led to an increase of parties such as UKIP who want an EU refrendum. However, I also wrote that Polish migration in contrast to Spain, has led to positive impacts such as increased attendance in Catholic churches and increased number of hybrid cultures and food in the Midlands.

Mentioned some other smaller points too. But they were my two main points/ideas.

Original post by Gabriella.xo_
I literally messed up that exam. I rushed part B. So stupid.

Same. I couldnt decide which to do and spent too long on the intro. I finished the 15 marker but didnt get to write my final para for the 10 marker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending