The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

وَلَا تَتَمَنَّوْا مَا فَضَّلَ اللَّهُ بِهِ بَعْضَكُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ ۚ لِّلرِّجَالِ نَصِيبٌ مِّمَّا اكْتَسَبُوا ۖ وَلِلنِّسَاءِ نَصِيبٌ مِّمَّا اكْتَسَبْنَ ۚ وَاسْأَلُوا اللَّهَ مِن فَضْلِهِ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمًا
And do not wish for that by which Allah has made some of you exceed others. For men is a share of what they have earned, and for women is a share of what they have earned. And ask Allah of his bounty. Indeed Allah is ever, of all things, Knowing.
[Surah an-Nisaa']
Surah ad-Duhaa

وَالضُّحَىٰ
By the morning brightness

وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا سَجَىٰ
And [by] the night when it covers with darkness,

مَا وَدَّعَكَ رَبُّكَ وَمَا قَلَىٰ
Your Lord has not taken leave of you, [O Muhammad], nor has He detested [you].

وَلَلْآخِرَةُ خَيْرٌ لَّكَ مِنَ الْأُولَىٰ
And the Hereafter is better for you than the first [life].

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ
And your Lord is going to give you, and you will be satisfied.

أَلَمْ يَجِدْكَ يَتِيمًا فَآوَىٰ
Did He not find you an orphan and give [you] refuge?

وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ
And He found you lost and guided [you],

وَوَجَدَكَ عَائِلًا فَأَغْنَىٰ
And He found you poor and made [you] self-sufficient.

فَأَمَّا الْيَتِيمَ فَلَا تَقْهَرْ
So as for the orphan, do not oppress [him].

وَأَمَّا السَّائِلَ فَلَا تَنْهَرْ
And as for the petitioner, do not repel [him].

وَأَمَّا بِنِعْمَةِ رَبِّكَ فَحَدِّثْ
But as for the favor of your Lord, report [it].

SubhaanAllah, such a beautiful Surah.
One of the greatest sadnesses of our time, in my view, is when we come across such a powerful Surah as the one above and overlook it concluding with the question 'but what does that have to do with me, how is it relevant or applicable to me personally?'. How wrong we are to say this!

أَوْ كَالَّذِي مَرَّ عَلَىٰ قَرْيَةٍ وَهِيَ خَاوِيَةٌ عَلَىٰ عُرُوشِهَا قَالَ أَنَّىٰ يُحْيِي هَٰذِهِ اللَّهُ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا ۖ فَأَمَاتَهُ اللَّهُ مِائَةَ عَامٍ ثُمَّ بَعَثَهُ ۖ قَالَ كَمْ لَبِثْتَ ۖ قَالَ لَبِثْتُ يَوْمًا أَوْ بَعْضَ يَوْمٍ ۖ قَالَ بَل لَّبِثْتَ مِائَةَ عَامٍ فَانظُرْ إِلَىٰ طَعَامِكَ وَشَرَابِكَ لَمْ يَتَسَنَّهْ ۖ وَانظُرْ إِلَىٰ حِمَارِكَ وَلِنَجْعَلَكَ آيَةً لِّلنَّاسِ ۖ وَانظُرْ إِلَى الْعِظَامِ كَيْفَ نُنشِزُهَا ثُمَّ نَكْسُوهَا لَحْمًا ۚ فَلَمَّا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُ قَالَ أَعْلَمُ أَنَّ اللَّهَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ
Or [consider such an example] as the one who passed by a township which had fallen into ruin. He said, "How will Allah bring this to life after its death?" So Allah caused him to die for a hundred years; then He revived him. He said, "How long have you remained?" The man said, "I have remained a day or part of a day." He said, "Rather, you have remained one hundred years. Look at your food and your drink; it has not changed with time. And look at your donkey; and We will make you a sign for the people. And look at the bones [of this donkey] - how We raise them and then We cover them with flesh." And when it became clear to him, he said, "I know that Allah is over all things competent."

[Surah al-Baqarah]
أَأَنتُمْ أَشَدُّ خَلْقًا أَمِ السَّمَاءُ ۚ بَنَاهَا
Are you a more difficult creation or is the heaven? Allah constructed it.
[Surah an-Naaziyaat]
Surah al-Ma'oon

أَرَأَيْتَ الَّذِي يُكَذِّبُ بِالدِّينِ
Have you seen the one who denies the Recompense?

فَذَٰلِكَ الَّذِي يَدُعُّ الْيَتِيمَ
For that is the one who drives away the orphan

وَلَا يَحُضُّ عَلَىٰ طَعَامِ الْمِسْكِينِ
And does not encourage the feeding of the poor.

فَوَيْلٌ لِّلْمُصَلِّينَ
So woe to those who pray

الَّذِينَ هُمْ عَن صَلَاتِهِمْ سَاهُونَ
[But] who are heedless of their prayer -

الَّذِينَ هُمْ يُرَاءُونَ
Those who make show [of their deeds]

وَيَمْنَعُونَ الْمَاعُونَ
And withhold [simple] assistance.
Tafseer Ibn Katheer
(And withhold Al-Ma`un.) This means that they do not worship their Lord well, nor do they treat His creation well. They do not even lend that which others may benefit from and be helped by, even though the object will remain intact and be returned to them. These people are even stingier when it comes to giving Zakah and different types of charity that bring one closer to Allah.

AoA brothers and sisters.

I hope you are all well iA.

I just came here to ask you all to please make dua for a friend of mine who's sister has recently been diagnosed with cancer.

Please pray that her sister be completely cured of her illness, make a full recovery, and that her illness may not touch her again. Ameen.

I also came across this site which has various duas on it, and saw this one which I thought I would share with you all:

http://www.iqrasense.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Dua-62.jpg

JazakAllah Khair to you all for reading and your prayers in advance.
Original post by ash92:)
Surah ad-Duhaa

وَالضُّحَىٰ

وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا سَجَىٰ
And [by] the night when it covers with darkness,

Your Lord has not taken leave of you, [O Muhammad], nor has He detested [you].

وَلَلْآخِرَةُ خَيْرٌ لَّكَ مِنَ الْأُولَىٰ
And the Hereafter is better for you than the first [life].

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ
And your Lord is going to give you, and you will be satisfied.

أَلَمْ يَجِدْكَ يَتِيمًا فَآوَىٰ
Did He not find you an orphan and give [you] refuge?

وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ
And He found you lost and guided [you],

وَوَجَدَكَ عَائِلًا فَأَغْنَىٰ
And He found you poor and made [you] self-sufficient.

فَأَمَّا الْيَتِيمَ فَلَا تَقْهَرْ
So as for the orphan, do not oppress [him].

وَأَمَّا السَّائِلَ فَلَا تَنْهَرْ
And as for the petitioner, do not repel [him].

وَأَمَّا بِنِعْمَةِ رَبِّكَ فَحَدِّثْ
But as for the favor of your Lord, report [it].

SubhaanAllah, such a beautiful Surah.
One of the greatest sadnesses of our time, in my view, is when we come across such a powerful Surah as the one above and overlook it concluding with the question 'but what does that have to do with me, how is it relevant or applicable to me personally?'. How wrong we are to say this!

Beautiful and powerful Surah, even from a non-Muslim perspective :smile:
Original post by frank_drebin
AoA brothers and sisters.

I hope you are all well iA.

I just came here to ask you all to please make dua for a friend of mine who's sister has recently been diagnosed with cancer.

Please pray that her sister be completely cured of her illness, make a full recovery, and that her illness may not touch her again. Ameen.

I also came across this site which has various duas on it, and saw this one which I thought I would share with you all:

http://www.iqrasense.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Dua-62.jpg

JazakAllah Khair to you all for reading and your prayers in advance.

Wa 'alaykum assalaam

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji'oon. Without His permission, we can achieve nothing - innallaaha 'ala kulli shay in qadeer (certainly, Allah is dominant over all things).

Fortress of the Muslim

Invocations for visiting the sick

لَا بَأْسَ طَهُوْرٌ إِنْ شَا الله
Do not worry, it will be a purification (for you) , Allah willing.

[Reference: Saheeh al-Bukhari, cf. Imam Ibn Hajar, Fathul-Bari 10/118.]

أَسْاَلُ اللهَ الْعَظِيْمَ رَبَّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيْمِ أنْ يَشْفِيَكَ
I ask Almighty Allah , Lord of the Magnificent Throne, to make you well. (Recite seven times in Arabic .)

[Reference: Jami'at-Tirmidhi, Sunan Abu Dawud. See also Sh. Al-Albani, Sahih At-Tirmidhi 2/210 and Sahihul-Jami' As-Saghir 5/180.]
Jami'at-Tirmidhi

Spoiler

Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said:
"There is no Muslim worshiper who visits one who is ill - other than at the time of death - and he says seven times: As'alullah Al-'Azeem Rabbal 'Arshil 'Azeem an yashfik ('I ask Allah the Magnificent, Lord of the Magnificent Throne to cure you') except when he will be cured."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Beautiful and powerful Surah, even from a non-Muslim perspective :smile:

Certainly, SubhaanAllah.
Do you know of the context in which it was revealed, Dima?
Certainly, SubhaanAllah.
Do you know of the context in which it was revealed, Dima?

I've just checked, and according to the tradition it was a Meccan surah about the delay in revelation and how the Meccans began questioning the Prophethood and mocking the Prophet, right? "Your Lord has not taken leave of you" seems to be in reference to that.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've just checked, and according to the tradition it was a Meccan surah about the delay in revelation and how the Meccans began questioning the Prophethood and mocking the Prophet, right? "Your Lord has not taken leave of you" seems to be in reference to that.

Indeed. The most powerful aspect of the Surah to me is its appeal as consolation in times of difficulty and distress. I posted some tafaseer which commented on the beginning ayaat of this Surah a while back, which I will post again below :smile:
وَالضُّحَىٰ
وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا سَجَىٰ

And by the night when it is still (or darkens);
Your Lord (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) has neither forsaken you nor hated you.

[Surah ad-Duhaa]

"...This was the state when this Surah was sent down to console the Holy Prophet. In it, swearing an oath by the light of the day and the peacefulness of the night, he has been told: "Your Lord has neither forsaken you, nor is He displeased with you." The relevance of the oath by these two things to the theme is: "Just as brightening up of the day and spreading of the night with darkness and stillness is not for the reason that Allah is pleased with the people during the day and displeased with them during the night but both states are based on supreme wisdom and expedience, so sending down of revelation to you at one-time and suspending it at another time, also is based on wisdom and expedience; it has nothing to do with Allah's being pleased with you when He sends down revelation and his being displeased with you when He suspends it. Besides, another relevance of the oath to the subject is that if man is constantly exposed to the light of days it wearies him; so, it is necessary that night should fall after the day has remained bright for a certain period so that man may have rest and peace in it. Likewise, if you are constantly exposed to the light of revelation, your nerves would not stand it. Therefore, fatrah (break or gap in the revelation) also has been provided by Allah on account of expedience so that the effects of the strain of revelation that you have to bear pass away and complete peace is restored to you. In other words, rising of the sun of -revelation is analogous to the bright day and the period of the fatrah to the stillness and peace of the night."

[Tafheem al-Quran]

"الضُّحَىٰ refers to the time of mid-morning when people begin their daily routines and after resting the whole night start their day with a new vigour.

The Qur’ān has presented the night as an evidence on various aspects depending upon the context, as is evident from this tafsīr. Here the wordsِ إِذَا سَجَىٰ qualify it. The word سَجَىٰ َ means “to become stationary” and “to come to a standstill”. This shows that that part of the night is implied here which becomes still and silent from the noise and clatter of the day and of the early part of the night and is able to provide comfort to man. In other words, in contrast to the part of the day which is referred to by the word الضُّحَىٰ َ
the words وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا سَجَىٰ refer to the corresponding part of the night.

A little deliberation shows that the day and the night are totally different from one another with regard to their outlook, nature and the effects they produce; however, despite this difference, man needs both, and this world, in its collective capacity, also needs both the night and the day for its sustenance. It is God’s great mercy that He created the night with the day and the day with the night, and both work in complement to each other to keep this world in existence. The Qur’ān has referred to this complementary nature of day and night at various instances:

He it is who has made the night dark for you so that you can receive
comfort in it and made the day bright. (10:67)

And of His mercy is that He has made the night and day so that you
can receive comfort in the night and seek His bounty in the day so
that you become grateful [to Him]. (28:73)

It is to validate this premise that oaths are sworn by various phenomena of the physical world in the previous verses. The implication is that just as in this world the heat and light of the sun are essential and so are the darkness and stillness of the night, in a similar manner, the trials of happiness and sorrow, ease and difficulty, affluence and poverty are essential for the spiritual and moral development of man. It is through these circumstances that the Almighty tests a person whether he becomes thankful in hard times and patient in bad ones. In other words, the Prophet (sws) is assured that if at that time he was facing stiff opposition and had little following and meager resources and divine guidance and revelation were also not to his satisfaction, then this does not mean that his Lord had abandoned him or was displeased with him: these circumstances are a trial and test to train and instruct him in order to fully prepare him to bear his responsibilities."

[Taddabur-e-Quran]

"This sūrah, in subject matter, expression, images, connotations and rhythm provides a touch of tenderness and mercy. It is a message of affection, the touch of a benevolent hand to soothe pain and remove hardship. At the same time, it generates an air of contentment and confident hope.

The sūrah is dedicated in its entirety to the Prophet (peace be upon him). It is a message from his Lord which touches his heart with pleasure, joy, tranquillity and contentment. All-in-all, it proffers mercy and compassion to his restless soul and suffering heart.

Several accounts mention that the revelation of the Qur’ān to the Prophet came, at one stage, to a halt and that the angel Gabriel stopped coming to him for a while. The unbelievers therefore said, “Muĥammad’s Lord has bidden him farewell!” God therefore revealed this sūrah.

Revelation, Gabriel’s visits and the link with God were the Prophet’s whole equipment along his precarious path. They were his only solace in the face of hard rejection and his sole comfort against outright repudiation. They were the source from which he derived his strength to stand steadfast against the unbelievers who were intent on rebuff and refusal, and on directing a wicked, vile attack against the Prophet’s message and the faith he preached.

So when the revelation was withheld, the source of strength for the Prophet was cut off. His life spring was sapped and he longed for his heart’s friend. Alone he was left in the wilderness, without sustenance, water, or the accustomed companionship of his beloved friend. It was a situation which heavily taxed human endurance.

Then this sūrah was revealed and it came as a river of compassion, mercy, hope, comfort and reassurance. “Your Lord has neither forsaken you, nor does He hate you. Surely the life to come will be better for you than this present life. And, certainly, in time your Lord will be bounteous to you and you will be well pleased.” (Verses 3-5) Your Lord has never before left you or rejected you, or even denied you His mercy or protection. “Has He not found you an orphan and given you a shelter? And found you in error, and guided you? And found you poor and enriched you?” (Verses 6-8)

Do you not see the proof of all this in your own life? Do you not feel it in your heart? Do you not observe it in your world? Most certainly, “your Lord has neither forsaken you, nor does He hate you.” (Verse 3) Never was His mercy taken away from you and nor will it be. “Surely the life to come will be better for you than this present life.” (Verse 4) And there will be much more: “And, certainly, in time your Lord will be bounteous to you and you will be well pleased.” (Verse 5)

This statement, is given in the framework of a universal phenomenon: “By the bright morning hours, and the night when it grows still and dark.” (Verses 1-2) The expression spreads an air of affection, kindliness and complete satisfaction. “Your Lord has neither forsaken you, nor does He hate you. Surely the life to come will be better for you than this present life. And, certainly, in time your Lord will be bounteous to you and you will be well pleased. Has He not found you an orphan and given you a shelter? And found you in error, and guided you? And found you poor and enriched you?” (Verses 3-8) Such tenderness, mercy, satisfaction and solace are all felt in the sweet and soothing words which softly thread along the sūrah echoing the morning hours and still night, the times most conducive to clarity. During these periods one’s reflections flow like a stream, and the human soul is best able to communicate with the universe and its Creator. It feels the universe worshipping its Lord and turning towards Him in praise with joy and happiness. In addition, the night is described as growing still and dark. It is not the dark gloomy night as such but the still, clear and tranquil night, covered with a light cloud of sweet longing and kind reflection. It is a picture similar to that of the orphan’s life. More still, the night is cleared away by the crossing morning and thus the colours of the picture beautifully match those of the framework, making for perfect harmony."

[Fee dhilal al-Quran]
Indeed. The most powerful aspect of the Surah to me is its appeal as consolation in times of difficulty and distress. I posted some tafaseer which commented on the beginning ayaat of this Surah a while back, which I will post again below :smile:

Cool, I'll have a read :smile:
Cool, I'll have a read :smile:

:h:

It might interest you to know that this Surah, like many others, is divided thematically and corresponding to this is the rhyme theme.

The first section rhymes, ending in a particular letter. This is all consolation. This is the bulk of the Surah.
The second section rhymes within itself. It negates 2 acts of negligence, 2 acts that are shunned.
The last ayah is by itself. The previous section was instruction by negation, whereas this section (the ayah itself) is instruction through encouragement of propagation.
Zaynab bint Kamal al Maqdisiyyah was a teacher of Imam adhDhahabi. She used to teach in her house, from morning 'till evening, and taught more than 400 books of hadith to hundreds of students daily.

A'ishah bint Ibn al Hadi was appointed by the khalifah to teach hadith in the Grand Masjid of Damascus. She had the shortest sanad (chain) of Saheeh alBukhari.

In the field of hadith, there are over 9000 female scholars known by name - and such scholars were not limited only to the sciences of hadith, but often excelled in fiqh, tafseer, and other fields as well.

- Via Sh Muhammad Akram Nadwi.

Short post about some works of women in Islam. :smile:
Rofl
According to a so called Muslim, the members on this thread are crazy. So much so, he decided to create a thread on it :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

SubhaanAllah. It is not a statement to be taken or given lightly. I guess I feel 'like I am 5' when I realise how much of Islam, or even just the Quran, there remains to be studied. The study of Islam is as if a man where to depart from the shore in his boat and travel towards the horizon. He would think that at the horizon, he will arrive at his destination, at the next shore. But as he gets nearer to the point which he saw at the horizon, he only realises that there was no shore - rather there remains much distance to be covered to another similar point at the horizon, which may well be but a step in his journey.

Brother, I really like the way you arrange words :h:

Jazakallahu khayran for the posts anyway

[Source: Tafseer Ibn Kathir, on Surah al-baqarah verse 34]
(edited 8 years ago)
Imam Ibn al-Qayyim (rahimahullah) said:

“In short, there is nothing more beneficial for the heart than reading the Qur’aan and with contemplation and reflection…

If people were to possess a realization of what recitation of the Qur’aan with contemplation contains, they would devote themselves to it at the expense of anything else.

When the person reads it with reflection and he comes across an aayah that he is in need of, for the cure of his heart, he repeats it, even if he does so a hundred times or the whole night. Hence, to recite a single aayah of the Qur’aan with contemplation and reflection is better than reciting the Qur’aan to completion without any contemplation or reflection.

It is also more beneficial for the heart and more conducive to attaining eemaan and tasting the sweetness of the Qur’aan.”

[Miftaah Daar as-Sa’aadah]
Lol the moment when a guy who can't read/speak arabic says the Qur'an is vague in arabic. Sounds legit.

Latest

Trending

Trending