The Student Room Group

Do you think white people have advantages ?

Scroll to see replies

The actual question is: "Do you think the State should distribute its resources by penalising white and rewarding non-white characteristics", which is the inevitable intent of the hyper-egalitarian loons when they assert that whites are "privileged" and other races are "oppressed".
In some ways, yes, in other ways, no. Sometimes the opposite.

'White privilege' is something very subjective to what's going on, where, and who's involved. Chalking things up to white privilege and failing to consider a whole bunch of other important factors is an unfortunately common practice nowadays.
Original post by TheBlackRose
Everyone always says your lucky and stuff. I don't think white people have advantages or anything in society

Yes. It's bit a like how men are lucky and tend to have more opportunities because they are less likely to suffer from discrimination because of their gender. Sexism tends to mainly affect women especially job wise, and there's plenty of evidence showing that men are paid more than women on average

The majority of the population in the UK is white and whether we might like it or not there are a lot of prejudiced people and sometimes people might not even acknowledge their prejudices, its normal. So when it comes to jobs for example one might be more inclined to employ someone who looks similar to them and thus less threatenening. Studies have even shown that people of ethnic minority backgrounds are less likely to get jobs than white people.

Its a bit like if you migrated to the middle east, lets say iraq, you would probably be less likely to get a job than a native iraqi because you are white.

Though I could argue that besides the middle east, white people actually have a greater advantage than other ethinicities because in a lot of societies which were colonised by the british or other western countries, white people were viewed as superior and this mentality still prevails across the world. For example a lot of cultures have the view that the lighter your skin is i.e the more european you look the more beautiful and superior you are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheAbyss
Yes. It's bit a like how men are lucky and tend to have more opportunities because they are less likely to suffer from discrimination because of their gender. Sexism tends to mainly affect women especially job wise, and there's plenty of evidence showing that men are paid more than women on average

You might want to broaden your sources there.
Original post by caravaggio2
You might want to broaden your sources there.

I don't understand what you mean. Do you not agree that men are paid more on average than women even when doing the same job. Do you want me to provide sources for this? Was my point not valid?
I don't understand what you mean. Do you not agree that men are paid more on average than women even when doing the same job. Do you want me to provide sources for this? Was my point not valid?

Two people doing the same job in the same company with the same qualifications get paid the same amount. It is the law and if it is broken one can take their employer to court over discrination under the Equality Act 2010.
I can confirm, we do indeed have many advatages.
No, they do not. White working class are the bottom of the shoe in UK. Certain minority groups have special priviledged status where they are beyond reproach.

If white people did have advantages, it's is because they are a majority because it's there own continent. Those who do not like that can leave and be part of racial majority if thats what they want. But people are hypocrites I have noticed so they will stay here and whinge and whine.

I am mixed, and my white working class side of family work tremendously hard every day. This talk of white priviledge is just so utterly offensive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bill_Gates
As stated yes but it is a white majority country. However i personally don't really mind i quite like being the "underdog" #Roar

I think blacks are the most disadvantaged in society however it hasn't held other ethnic minorities (Jews) from excelling.

But tbh i think the current "mixed" nature of most the prosperous parts of the world, i don't think colour is the defining issue but I'm not naive enough to deny it all together.

Bill.

being Jewish myself certainly now at least I would consider I have it easier than other ethnic minorities due to not being visibly not of British origin.
Obviously my grandparents generation had a lot more to overcome due to only being allowed to work in certain jobs, even in the UK.
The problem with this talk of privilege is that it's based on outdated ideas.

I wouldn't for a second say that white people aren't to a degree advantaged in society, but this racial privilege thing is not something that nowadays only effects white people and it is also not nearly as pronounced as it used to be. To the point that in most situations your race is not going to afford you any real tangible privileges.
Original post by capitalismstinks
No, they do not. White working class are the bottom of the shoe in UK. Certain minority groups have special priviledged status where they are beyond reproach.

If white people did have advantages, it's is because they are a majority because it's there own continent. Those who do not like that can leave. But people are hypocrites I have noticed.

When my family immigrated to U from Asia.white people were in desperate poverty. This talk of white priviledge is just so offensive.

As I explained in my earlier post, white people do have advantages whether working class or not. In the same way men have advantages to women esp in terms of employment and pay. The gender pay gap has been on the decline but men still earn on average 17% more than women. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gender-pay-gap-falls--but-men-still-earn-175-more-9871401.html

Just as men have an advantage over women white people also have an advantage over minorities. There are far more likely to get a job than minorities for example.This is like you've said because 'they are the majority, its there own continent'. Therefore the majority have an upperhand in society than the minority, this is normal just like if you went to the middle east you would be at a disadvantage compared to the majority.

Though you can go anywhere else in the world and you will be at an advantage because white people are deemed as superior in s many societies because of colonisation.

"Those who do not like that can leave" - You have to understand that the UK is involved in causing destabilisation in africa and asia because of their divide and rule tactics, starting illegal wars, supporting human rights abusers by supplying them with weapons which then leads to many people leaving their inhabitable countries to the UK. I am by no means blaming the UK for immigration but I am trying to say that there is a reason why there are so many people immigrating.

I personally haven't heard a minority complaining about how bad the UK is and wanting to leave but people sometimes point out how the system is unfair to give them a better chance at life. Just like how women campaign for equality to men.
Everybody has the right to access these privileges regardless of race or color.
If you're good, you're good. If not, then not.

Simple.
(edited 8 years ago)
--

Yes, and what you explained i completely disagree with. It has no basis in reality, its just a cobbled together bunch of cherry picked chinese whispers.

The system is stacked in favour of the rich regardless of their racial backgrounds. To suggest white working class people have easier lives and greater social mobility because of their race is just pack of lies. In fact, in the politically correct society, the opposite is true.

The system is obsessed with filling various 'diversity' quotas and so white working class are left behind. Nobody cares how many white working class people go to uni, or are in boardrooms, or are in government etc etc. All the system cares about is visible minorities and making sure they are represented -- this does not even extend to all minorities, but mainly black and then Indian sub continent Asians way behind in second. Like white working class, other minorities are completely excluded from diversity quotas.

White working class are routinely left behind, just look at how the system has abandoned white working class students. This group is now the worst performing group which was not true just a few years ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
Two people doing the same job in the same company with the same qualifications get paid the same amount. It is the law and if it is broken one can take their employer to court over discrination under the Equality Act 2010.

The gender pay gap is not as bad as it used to be and is improving but on the whole men are still earn 17% more than women. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gender-pay-gap-falls--but-men-still-earn-175-more-9871401.html
Original post by capitalismstinks
Yes, and what you explained i completely disagree with. It has no basis in reality, its just a cobbled together bunch of cherry picked chinese whispers.

The system is stacked in favour of the rich regardless of their racial backgrounds. To suggest white working class people have easier lives and greater social mobility because of their race is just pack of lies. In fact, in the politically correct society, the opposite is true.

The system is obsessed with filling various 'diversity' quotas and so white working class are left behind. This is easily seen in how white working class students have been abandoned by the system, and are now the worst performing students.

Why is it hard to understand that being white (the majority of the population) you are more likely to get advtanges in employment. This has been proven countless times. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-muslims-face-worst-job-discrimination-of-any-minority-group-9893211.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20608039

You are right that the government has quotas to fill in some and by no means the majority of jobs to allow minorities a chance to gain employment in certain jobs.

However, the government also has quotas for people from low income backgrounds. Maybe you have just not come across them but I have seen plenty of these incentives. For example the civil service summer diveristy programme not only gives opportunities to people from minority backgrounds but also to people from low income backgrounds aswell.
The gender pay gap is not as bad as it used to be and is improving but on the whole men are still earn 17% more than women. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gender-pay-gap-falls--but-men-still-earn-175-more-9871401.html

The Gender Pay gap is a joke. It is silly to compare all working women to all working men because it does not give an accurate representation. Men and women tend to work in very different industries, generally speaking men tend to go for higher paying roles which have more risk and women tend to go for lower paying work which carries less risk.

The only way one can prove discrimination is by showing that two people doing the same job are paid different due to their gender however this is illegal under the Equality Act 2010, which you seemed to completely ignore in my previous post.

See here for more information on the Gender Pay Gap Myth.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55534893
The Gender Pay gap is a joke. It is silly to compare all working women to all working men because it does not give an accurate representation. Men and women tend to work in very different industries, generally speaking men tend to go for higher paying roles which have more risk and women tend to go for lower paying work which carries less risk.

The only way one can prove discrimination is by showing that two people doing the same job are paid different due to their gender however this is illegal under the Equality Act 2010, which you seemed to completely ignore in my previous post.

See here for more information on the Gender Pay Gap Myth.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55534893

Thats a fair enough point to make and I will research more into this.

My reason for discussing sexism was to highlight the fact that just as women can be discriminated against, minorities are also subject to discrimination
Thats a fair enough point to make and I will research more into this.

My reason for discussing sexism was to highlight the fact that just as women can be discriminated against, minorities are also subject to discrimination

Everyone can be subjected to discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compared to who?
Everyone can be subjected to discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ofcourse. But people who are different from the majority of the population like the disabled, LGBT, religion and ethnic minorities experience a greater level of discrimination. If you are English and middle class for example you are likely to be at an advantage and likely to have more opportunities than those that do not fit in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending