The Student Room Group

No alcohol at university?

Hey guys,
I'm going to university this September but I don't drink and everyone seems to think it's either a) laughable not drinking at university or b) not possible staying sober at university.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience of not drinking at university or any tips? I've never been to a club or bar before but I imagine I'll give it a go at least once whilst at Uni but I have no idea what I'd have the option to order? I can't have gluten (some beer for example isn't suitable for coeliacs) and I'm vegan.

I'm aware all these restrictions on what I can consume will make it harder for me to relax and order a drink so I'm a bit vary of even trying at all. I've heard of a club soda? but that's it for non alcoholic drinks that are widely available in bars/clubs. Any suggestions?
Original post by EraseMeElysion
Hey guys,
I'm going to university this September but I don't drink and everyone seems to think it's either a) laughable not drinking at university or b) not possible staying sober at university.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience of not drinking at university or any tips? I've never been to a club or bar before but I imagine I'll give it a go at least once whilst at Uni but I have no idea what I'd have the option to order? I can't have gluten (some beer for example isn't suitable for coeliacs) and I'm vegan.

I'm aware all these restrictions on what I can consume will make it harder for me to relax and order a drink so I'm a bit vary of even trying at all. I've heard of a club soda? but that's it for non alcoholic drinks that are widely available in bars/clubs. Any suggestions?

Coke J20 Soda and Lime/Blackcurrant Virgen cocktails other common soft drinks Sprite Fanta etc Appetiser to name a few
Reply 2
Any kind of mixers can be drunk on their own or combined e.g. soda water and lime, lemonade and orange squash, fruit juice (orange, pineapple, apple, grapefruit, cranberry are all commonly used in bars/pubs), bitter lemon, tonic water etc.

Grapefruit or orange juice topped up with lemonade and served with ice, is one of my favourites.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys,

Im at uni and haven't drunken once :smile: More importantly I have plenty of friends who don't drink. Those who do drink don't go clubbing and aren't really "drinkers". At university you will easily find people like you so do not worry (I worried as well when I started).

My best advice is check if your university has a 1st year meeting session and if there is an alcoholic and non-alcoholic version of this (there was here). Just go to the non-alcoholic one and you are sorted :P Even if they don't you will not struggle to make friends even if you don't drink.
should you ever decide you want to try alcohol http://munchyy.com/gluten-free-alcohol-list/ Check if they are vegan here http://www.barnivore.com/

However if you don't want to drink you'll find plenty of other people who either dont drink at all or drink very little, at least int he first year :smile:
I know its preference, but what is the exact reason for not wanting to drink at this stage in your life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not a crime, I remember going on a Pub crawl and I remember that some people didn't drink. Due to my medical condition, I only can drink up to an extent!
Original post by Nvmthename
I know its preference, but what is the exact reason for not wanting to drink at this stage in your life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm quite petite and don't eat much so I can drunk one two or three wkds, it's ridiculous. I don't really enjoy the taste of any drinks I've tried and nutritionally it seems like such a waste. I'm a bit of a control freak too so obviously I hate the affects of alcohol. It doesn't take much to "take the edge off" so to speak and I like having full control of my mental faculties :smile:
Hey guys,

I honestly wouldn't worry,

During my time at University i made tonnes of friends despite being a non-drinker. Aston, who coincidentally i now work for had plenty of clubs and societies to meet new people, just keep showing up and you'll make friends.

The one bit of advice i would give you though, is don't be scared to throw yourself out there, partake in activities people would normally do drunk, sober. It boosts your confidence and is a massive plus if you can enjoy a night out sober. It also stops giving people an excuse not to invite you out, people can be fun without alcohol.

If you have any questions i'm a survivor of a totally sober three years at university and happy to help.

Josh
Original post by Aston University
I honestly wouldn't worry,

During my time at University i made tonnes of friends despite being a non-drinker. Aston, who coincidentally i now work for had plenty of clubs and societies to meet new people, just keep showing up and you'll make friends.

The one bit of advice i would give you though, is don't be scared to throw yourself out there, partake in activities people would normally do drunk, sober. It boosts your confidence and is a massive plus if you can enjoy a night out sober. It also stops giving people an excuse not to invite you out, people can be fun without alcohol.

If you have any questions i'm a survivor of a totally sober three years at university and happy to help.

Josh

Thanks Josh, I'm glad to hear it can be done! Not drinking will be much better for my mind, wallet and health I think so I'm glad I'll be able to continue without being excluded. I'll definitely give most activities a go regardless of my sobriety :smile:
Reply 10
Whilst I don't have personal experience of this, my non-drinking friends say that normally there is no problem! If you are worried though, perhaps look and see if the uni has 'alcohol-free' accommodation on offer. It means that no alcohol can be consumed in the flat, so you will immediately meet a group of people in a similar situation as yourself. No matter what though, I'm sure you'll have an amazing few years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending