The Student Room Group

Should churches that post offensive messages on their walls/billboards be fined?

So this church that I go past every morning on my way to university and my way back has this tendency to put up controversial messages on their side wall every month. This month it's "Jesus: No one comes to the Father except through me" in huge writing which I found rather alarming. The month before that it was "Let the church help you" or some words to that effect.

Don't you just think that this is offensive? Not only to atheists but to other religions as well?

:rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Potentially offensive to you maybe, but it is their right to write that tbh. Freedom of religion, freedom of expression and all that :smile:

I also don't see what's so offensive about that?
(edited 8 years ago)
I was expecting that you'd seen something along the lines of "All gays are going to hell, let them know and make them repent".
It's not so much offensive writing I see, but over easter it was:

"Happy Easter to all Christians!
Good luck to all atheists!"

Like wtf we still celebrate easter and Christmas and stuff??
Reply 4
Original post by The_Internet
Potentially offensive to you maybe, but it is their right to write that tbh. Freedom of religion, freedom of expression and all that :smile:

I also don't see what's so offensive about that?

Well saying that there's only one way to heaven and it's through Jesus is rather offensive to other faiths since.

And the second one is offensive to both atheists and religious people because they are suggesting that people need help and are not fine which can be frustrating to just about anyone also it's preying on vulnerable people.
Reply 5
Original post by minimarshmallow
I was expecting that you'd seen something along the lines of "All gays are going to hell, let them know and make them repent".

It's not always about the gays SMH

I was expecting this tbh. The stuff in the OP is quite tame.
Original post by Daenerys...
Well saying that there's only one way to heaven and it's through Jesus is rather offensive to other faiths since.

And the second one is offensive to both atheists and religious people because they are suggesting that people need help and are not fine which can be frustrating to just about anyone also it's preying on vulnerable people.

I think you're looking too deep in to this tbh. Most mainstream religions say that "We are the only way in to heaven"
The Church is a business, why would it sell other people's products? Of COURSE their way is the only way into heaven.
Reply 9
I think you're looking too deep in to this tbh. Most mainstream religions say that "We are the only way in to heaven"

are you a Christian?
Reply 10
What you mean like this

And no, I think they should have the freedom to write this stuff.
It's not always about the gays SMH

No, but most of the offensive religious stuff you hear about is to do with gay people, particularly if we're talking Christianity (different story for Islam).

Also "Jesus: No one comes to the Father except through me" is just a statement specific to Christianity. Most other religions would not have this specific 'Father, Son, Holy Spirit' type thing so they wouldn't even be wanting to get to 'the Father' as the Christian faith would put it.

And "Let the Church help you" is a nice message actually. Unless it said to help you part with your money, hate your family and feel less about yourself, it isn't offensive (and that wouldn't be a great advertisement). Churches are generally helpful, a lot of people get a sense of community and support network. And this is from an atheist who left her Church when she was a lot younger because she didn't like some of the people who went there.
are you a Christian?

Nope
Original post by al_94
What you mean like this

And no, I think they should have the freedom to write this stuff.

I love when they expose their hypocrisy in this way.

I don't agree with this, mostly because it says "is still the law" as if we don't now have secular society and it hasn't actually been outlawed. You can't just change facts.

If Jesus would stone homos, that's good for him but he'd be put in prison for it. As would any followers that also did it. Religion is (quite fortunately) not a defense.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, but most of the offensive religious stuff you hear about is to do with gay people, particularly if we're talking Christianity (different story for Islam).

Also "Jesus: No one comes to the Father except through me" is just a statement specific to Christianity. Most other religions would not have this specific 'Father, Son, Holy Spirit' type thing so they wouldn't even be wanting to get to 'the Father' as the Christian faith would put it.

Exactly so that's what makes it offensive. You don't see jews/Budhists/mulism's writing stuff like this in huge font on bill boards or community notice boards never mind the whole side of a building so you can't miss it every time you drive or walk by. They should keep it to themselves is what I'm getting at.

And "Let the Church help you" is a nice message actually. Unless it said to help you part with your money, hate your family and feel less about yourself, it isn't offensive (and that wouldn't be a great advertisement). Churches are generally helpful, a lot of people get a sense of community and support network. And this is from an atheist who left her Church when she was a lot younger because she didn't like some of the people who went there

Actually that's exactly how they will help you. In what other way can they help you? They are just trying to get you through the door by being all "nice" and when they have you inside is when they start the self-loathing and brain washing.

I'm tempted to pop down there tomorrow when I have the day off and actually expose their BS. :mad:
Exactly so that's what makes it offensive. You don't see jews/Budhists/mulism's writing stuff like this in huge font on bill boards or community notice boards never mind the whole side of a building so you can't miss it every time you drive or walk by. They should keep it to themselves is what I'm getting at.

They shouldn't advertise themselves outside of their own premises because that's apparently offensive? I'll tell the coffee shop that recommends you come in and have a coffee because they think they have the best coffee in the country that this is offensive and they need to keep it to themselves if they think they have the best coffee in the country.

Actually that's exactly how they will help you. In what other way can they help you? They are just trying to get you through the door by being all "nice" and when they have you inside is when they start the self-loathing and brain washing.

I'm tempted to pop down there tomorrow when I have the day off and actually expose their BS. :mad:

Some of them do that, some of them don't. Some of them want you to make friends and have a community and support network... and hang on didn't I already say that in the above post?
My friend has leukemia and although he thinks his religion is just his relationship between himself and god, he visits Church because they support him. More than once someone has cooked him a meal and brought it over because he was too sick to cook. These are people he wouldn't have otherwise met.
Double standards.

If Charlie Hebdo can write whatever they want in the name of 'free speech' then so should the church.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Double standards.

If Charlie Hebdo can write whatever they want in the name of 'free speech' then so should the church.

Tbh, Charlie Hebdo was a double standard in itself in my view, but that's another debate entirely.
Tbh, Charlie Hebdo was a double standard in itself in my view, but that's another debate entirely.

I completely agree
Reply 19
That stuff is not even offensive :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest