The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

How safe do you think a career on the Fast Stream is with a Conservative government and planned cuts??
Original post by ProbablyNoGod
How safe do you think a career on the Fast Stream is with a Conservative government and planned cuts??

They won't be cutting the fast stream. I imagine all our posts are 'lifed' to 4 years at least (assuming we post rotate with other fast streamers).
Any fellow European fast streamers...I've just been told that we face another couple of weeks of waiting :frown:
Had my DaT FSB on Wednesday, found out I passed on Friday, so not sure about other streams that have FSBs, but for DaT'ers at least they're working through us now
Skarm, I also had the DAT stream wed and passed. Congrats! :smile:
Preparing for my DAT FSB in a couple of days - those of you that have had yours, do you have any general tips on how I should be preparing? Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by kongming
Preparing for my DAT FSB in a couple of days - those of you that have had yours, do you have any general tips on how I should be preparing? Thanks a lot :smile:

Hi. I took the DaT FSB last wednesday and thankfully found out friday that I passed!

In terms of tips there is nothing on the day that will trip you up outside of what is on the briefing document provided for the FSB. There is a practical exercise similar to the FSAC- on this I dont feel there are any tips to be had, time management is the key and reading any instructions. I wont give any clues as to the topic as it may be unfair and it might not be the same topic anyway.

The interview part is based on the questions outlined in the brief, study those and have an answer to each one and you will be fine. They will drill into your answers so make sure you have detail in each area.

I would personally say use the examples you know best, rather than using ones that demonstrate technical knoweldge for the sake of it. My personal opinion is that it was not as demanding as the FSAC because it is a much shorter day, but I would not know if that is an opinion shared by others. You have done amazing to get there and for sure have the capacity to pass the FSB if you have passed the FSAC, regardless of your score at FSAC, I got 15.6 and thought I had no chance and have now been accepted.

All the best
Thanks a lot for the reply!

Is the interview simply set up in the same competency format as the FSAC then? As in "Give us an example of when you..."? Because I can see that making sense for things like "building effective business relationships" or "drive for results" but less so for the questions about "how DAT can change government's interaction with the public" etc.

Never been great at competency interviews anyway, and similarly I'm a bit worried about my chances as I only got 15.02 at FSAC, but hopefully I can still scrape through! Who knows, maybe I'll be joining you on the scheme :smile:
I won't go into detail about the questions, but I went through the bullet points in the brief and was not asked anything that I had not previously prepared for. The format is slightly different becuase, as you know, there are 3 assessors rather than one, but I was allowed to expand on each question and then if there was anything further needed the assessors would ask a direct question.

Also, your previous FSAC score will not be used to determine your pass/fail on the day. At the start, you are in the same posistion as someone who got full marks! As far as I know the assessors don't know anything about you, where you live/study/work, or how you have performed previously so please do not take this into the day as a negative (equally for anyone reading who got a high score do not be over confident- you are starting from scratch here)

The FSAC scores are an average and they do not expect anyone to be getting 4's in each. Also, some may have got 3/4's in all categories, then fell below a 2 in one, and would not have progressed to this stage.

As with the FSAC, get a good nights sleep and eat properly before, you will need to be at your best mentally in order to show your potential on the day

Is the interview simply set up in the same competency format as the FSAC then? As in "Give us an example of when you..."? Because I can see that making sense for things like "building effective business relationships" or "drive for results" but less so for the questions about "how DAT can change government's interaction with the public" etc.

Never been great at competency interviews anyway, and similarly I'm a bit worried about my chances as I only got 15.02 at FSAC, but hopefully I can still scrape through! Who knows, maybe I'll be joining you on the scheme :smile:
Reply 3169
Anyone heard anything from GCS FSB?

Read the governments digital strategy. Best advice I could give. Also, don't be afraid to have a laugh.
Unsuccessful for the diplomatic service, hope others got better news!
Same here
Original post by AlFS94
Anyone heard anything from GCS FSB?

Nothing here!
Probably nothing for GCS for at least a week or two. What do we think the chances of getting offered a standard role are if we don't pass FSB?
Original post by berlinyorky
Same here

Also unsuccessful... Will be moving on with the central departments option and good luck to everyone else!
Reply 3176
Anyone know when the DS developed vetting process starts/how long it takes?
Had my DAT FSB on Thursday and just found out I passed!
Original post by Magnum Opus
Probably nothing for GCS for at least a week or two. What do we think the chances of getting offered a standard role are if we don't pass FSB?

Argh, this wait is awful!! Fingers crossed we'll know by this time next week (although I fear it wont be until the evening of next Friday!)

At my FCAS there was a girl who had only just failed the AC last year and she said she'd been invited to join a graduate pool and had as a result got a 6month paid internship.... so hopefully if we're unsuccessful at this stage that will be offered to us! However, a standard role would of course be better- I am unaware of any protocol surrounding that, though.
Just heard from comms - no message though, just was randomly checking

SUCCESSFUL!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending