The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography Unit 1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ah1998
"Explain how human activities contribute to the enhanced greenhouse effect" [15 Marks].

I only mentioned atmospheric pollutants trapping more heat at ground level and I didn't mention anything else as I forgot the other one. I then went on about the tipping point, positive feedback loops and what would happen if.

How many marks do you think I have gotten and did anyone else do the same thing. I forgot about the other one and wrote a paragraph about something which the question wasn't asking about.

Thoughts anyone??

I didn't think it had anything to do with the tipping point as it said human activities and how it contibuted to the enhanced greenhouse effect. so enviromental degradation less carbon sinks, more demand for transport meaning more fossil feuls burned, and more up and coming NIC which means more industry so more fossil feuls burned and so2 causes degradation. I think thats it IDK:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Reply 161
Ah #fail lol
For the question about physical factors that cause drought in California is ENSO (i.e. La Niña) a physical factor? I'd say that it's more to do with meteorology, so I avoided mentioning it (I wrote about Santa Ana winds being channeled through the mountains mountains being the physical feature... And the relative lack of lakes/water sources, although that's unlikely to get a mark).
Original post by ah1998
Ah #fail lol

Nah I think you got some marks mabey 5 or 6 :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by ombtom
For the question about physical factors that cause drought in California is ENSO (i.e. La Niña) a physical factor? I'd say that it's more to do with meteorology, so I avoided mentioning it (I wrote about Santa Ana winds being channeled through the mountains mountains being the physical feature... And the relative lack of lakes/water sources, although that's unlikely to get a mark).

I think what it meant by physical factors is that its caused by nature as opposed to human factors I wrote about ENSO the Santa Ana dry winds period and just that the general climate of Cali made it less suseptable to rain
Reply 165
Unofficial markscheme?
Hey, what did you guys write about the fairtrade question?
I just used a case stUdy about fair trade and wrote the positives for that pixilated ase studies idk we never really learnt it. Just given a respece and made our own notes on it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lucas007
Hey, what did you guys write about the fairtrade question?

I rote how it would provide more disposible income to farmers as increased profits this means that there will be a positive multiplier because more people are buying things so more businesses so more economic development closing the wealth devide gap. Then I used starbucks and their fair trade with ethiopian coffe farmers

but like I don't think thats worth 5 :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jazzdorgan
I did question 10, I forgot to mention any named examples in part b), do you think it will matter?? ://

wasn't the whole point of the question that you compare 2 named examples? I did the same question and basically did 1 paragraph on the UK then one on Spain and compared them
Guys we really need an unofficial mark scheme
Anyone else do question 7?

Also, what did you put for part A and B?
Original post by qwerty123A
Anyone else do question 7?

Also, what did you put for part A and B?

I did question 7!! none else did it in my class though:frown:
Reply 173
Yeh I did nine i literally just named global groupings for each paragraph and wrote what they do
Original post by ola3531
I thought it was a good paper I did Q9. Did anyone else ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 7, for a I said that the predictions show an increase in people living in urban areas, therefore more people are susceptible and its more likely its going to be disaster. Also, more people=urbanisation-leads to floods(reduced infiltration) and landslides (deforestation). Also said more people in sub-saharan which is drought prone-low capacity to cope-at risk to secondary effects. Also very briefly went back and added how more people living in Philippines which is a hazard hotspot.

For b, Physical factors include warm seas in tropics and Australia means flooding due to evaporation and condensation...Also, eustatic sea level rise in Tuvulu and Bangladesh causes flooding-caused by greenhouse effect melting ice caps (albedo effect) and thermal expansion. Also put isostatic like in New Orleans causing cities to be below rivers. Concluded by saying that theres no general trend in distribution like tropical storms, and that its hard to mitigate the effects of physical factors but we can prevent anthropogenic causes which exacerbating the problem like the enchanced greenhouse effect.
Also for the 'name 2 short term natural causes of climate change' I originally put volcanic eruptions and solar output variations but then changed it right at the end because I didnt think they were actually short term- changed it to El Nino and La Nina but everyone else said that they put what I originally put- guess I lost out on 4 marks. Can you confirm? and condemn me to my doom
Original post by kaaatiiie
I did question 7!! none else did it in my class though:frown:

Yeah i was one of the only people to do it in my class also. For part A i spoke about the disaster risk equation and population density increases vulnerability etc. For part A i spoke about Cyclone belt, and philippines within it, Low lying land, thermal expansion and melting of ice etc that can contribute to flooding, wbu?
Original post by qwerty123A
Yeah i was one of the only people to do it in my class also. For part A i spoke about the disaster risk equation and population density increases vulnerability etc. For part A i spoke about Cyclone belt, and philippines within it, Low lying land, thermal expansion and melting of ice etc that can contribute to flooding, wbu?

In part A i spoke about high population density and people moving to vulnerable areas and therefore at more risk and for part B i talked about the Philippines also talking about the low-lying, flat and small islands. Also thermal expansion and melting ice causing sea levels to rise. :smile:
We basically wrote about the same things lol, I hope we get the marks:smile:
Did anyone explain the natural greenhouse effect for question 8 b and then go on to talk about human activities leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending