The Student Room Group

C1 Questions - Help needed.

Thanks all for helping, everything solved. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
For the last bit of inequalities, I always sketch a graph with the two x values.
If the original inequality is >0 the values are when the graph goes above the x axis and if the original inequality is <0 the values are when the graph goes under the x axis.

This is because for >0 , the curve is more than 0 and when the curve goes above the x axis, it is above y=0, so it is more than 0 and it's the opposite for <0.

Idk if that's clear enough but it's how I learnt it. :smile:
Reply 2
Cancel off question 13 (ii) and (iii). Know how to do them, on the second paper.
Reply 3
Original post by Dr. Swiftie
For the last bit of inequalities, I always sketch a graph with the two x values.
If the original inequality is >0 the values are when the graph goes above the x axis and if the original inequality is <0 the values are when the graph goes under the x axis.

This is because for >0 , the curve is more than 0 and when the curve goes above the x axis, it is above y=0, so it is more than 0 and it's the opposite for <0.

Idk if that's clear enough but it's how I learnt it. :smile:

Omg yes. Now you clicked something in mind, I remember my teacher telling us that. Thanks.
Original post by Slenderman
Edit: How do you do the last bit of solving a quadratic inequality? I can get the two numbers but I just can't seem to work out whether they need to be < or >. If ya get what I mean.

Sketch the graph and identify where it is >0 and where it is <0.
for the 13 on the first paper, put it in to one equation and use a quadratic equation to show that there is a positive root
Reply 6
Yep I can do it now, thanks.
For 12iii on second what did you get in th a(x+b)^2-c equation?
Reply 8
Original post by liverpool2044
for the 13 on the first paper, put it in to one equation and use a quadratic equation to show that there is a positive root

Hmm I see so you use the quadratic formula on it. I will try this now.
Reply 9
For 12iii on second what did you get in th a(x+b)^2-c equation?

I got 3(x+1)^2 +7
Reply 10

I used b^2 - 4ac and got k +/- square root k^2 + 8

Now what?
I got 3(x+1)^2 +7

Good, so you know the minimum point is going to have y coordinate 7 so its always going to be above the x axis
Reply 12
I see, that's so simple. The way they worded it made me confused. Thanks.
I used b^2 - 4ac and got k +/- square root k^2 + 8

Now what?

you know its going to have to be greater than 0 so put it into the quadratic formula so it applies to all values for k
Reply 14
you know its going to have to be greater than 0 so put it into the quadratic formula so it applies to all values for k

Okay. So I got.. the same thing over 2. (I used b +/- square root b^2-4ac all over 2). Is this right so far?
k+ root k^2-8 is greater than or equal to zero for all values of k is what you need to say. This shows a positive root for x^2 and so an intersection.
Reply 16
I'm not doing C1 again. But what knowledge do you need for FP1?
Reply 17
Okay thanks everyone, everything is solved.

Quick Reply

Latest