The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
for the economic effects of global warming on Africa without referring to agriculture I did 2 points. 1) drought leads to desertification meaning the land isn't suitable to develop on e.g. in the sahel region and 2) global warming will cause rising sea levels - coastal areas in africa may suffer from flooding, which will damage buildings and infrastructure e.g. cape town
anyone do anything similar? my teacher said it will get good marks
Reply 81
Original post by TypicalAsian
What did you guys write for the fair trade question?

I think I lost marks there

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the three features of an ethical product I wrote 1) Using less packaging or more made of recyclable materials 2) Using organic production processes through a lack of fertilisers and pesticides etc. and 3) Using less plastics which would have to be disposed in landfill sites.

What was the second part of that question?
Original post by TheStruders
I was really hoping for a Philippines question :frown:

Same, the only reference I made to Philippines was in question part A. But it wasn't really disaster hotspot question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Guys, was the question about economic effects on Africa ask about reasons excluding agriculture? :confused:
Original post by sxxxxt
Guys, was the question about economic effects on Africa ask about reasons excluding agriculture? :confused:

yeah
Reply 85
Original post by qwerty123A
yeah

Damn - lost marks there, as well. Greaaat!
Reply 86
Ikr I was like wtf when I saw it like what else is there to say? I know I defo mentioned healthcare costs due to malaria and water conflict/shortages for industry. Hoping I mentioned flooding and infrastructure damage. I really can't remember.
Reply 87
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Anyone else pick question 10 for section B?

I did! I really liked that question, wanted something on tnc or globalisation but migration was good as b) you could mention about retirement flow of Spain and workers from Poland to UK
Original post by 09legret
I did! I really liked that question, wanted something on tnc or globalisation but migration was good as b) you could mention about retirement flow of Spain and workers from Poland to UK

Was the 10 b) the IMPACTS of migration f on host countries? I just erong about the costs and benefits to the host like grey pound in spain and labour in the UK, what did you write
Reply 89
Original post by Praveen101
Was the 10 b) the IMPACTS of migration f on host countries? I just erong about the costs and benefits to the host like grey pound in spain and labour in the UK, what did you write

I mentioned the grey pound. I think you answered the question. Impacts/Cost Benefits are the same thing. Right?
Original post by sxxxxt
I mentioned the grey pound. I think you answered the question. Impacts/Cost Benefits are the same thing. Right?

I was unsure when it meant by contrasting

how i did it was
Poland to UK (workers)
Costs to the UK
Benefits to the UK
Uk to Spain (tourists)
Costs to spain
Benefits

im worried i did the wrong thing i didnt contrast anything specifcally
Reply 91
I was unsure when it meant by contrasting

how i did it was
Poland to UK (workers)
Costs to the UK
Benefits to the UK
Uk to Spain (tourists)
Costs to spain
Benefits

im worried i did the wrong thing i didnt contrast anything specifcally

I hated the wording of the question. I always made sure I wrote something like "Spain will gain migrants with the grey £ compared to the UK who will lose this" and then obviously develop the point. I am not sure if you needed to do this, though. Depends on the mark scheme, which can be a tad funny.
Do you guys the grade boundaries for this exam will be fairly high

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by Remne
I have no common sense :frown: Struggled to talk about why California receives drought - only mentioned La Nina!

Also dat question about economic effects of global warming on Africa WITHOUT referring to agriculture?!?

Flooding of coastal cities i.e. Alexandria and pressure on healthcare due to more spreading of disease
have you guys started studying for unit 2? any predictions?
Original post by TypicalAsian
Do you guys the grade boundaries for this exam will be fairly high

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its already around give or take 60/90 which is pathetically low, they cant reduce it anymore because then it would be ridiculous , how can an A be less than 65%
Reply 96
Original post by Sutty1
for the economic effects of global warming on Africa without referring to agriculture I did 2 points. 1) drought leads to desertification meaning the land isn't suitable to develop on e.g. in the sahel region and 2) global warming will cause rising sea levels - coastal areas in africa may suffer from flooding, which will damage buildings and infrastructure e.g. cape town
anyone do anything similar? my teacher said it will get good marks

did the second point but for the first point how would desert prevent development? I said that there will be more pressure on healthcare because of increased malaria and cholera ( from dependance on low quality water sources) and that would put pressure on government budget
Reply 97
Original post by James9072
Found this paper quite nice, managed to finish with about 10-15 minutes left... one question I wasn't sure on was how farmers in south africa may adapt to changes in rainfall and increased temperature, just talked about genetically modified crops to counteract the increase in insects due to higher temperature, and that they might plant different crops

OMG HOW DO YOU FINISH 15 minutes early :eek::eek::eek:
Original post by beachelsea
have you guys started studying for unit 2? any predictions?

I sat the Unit 2 exam last year. I'm not doing it again but I don't think sustainability will come up in the rebranding sections - it's highly likely to ask a question about contrasting rural and urban rebranding in that section because they haven't asked that for a while - that's what I thought would come up last year.

Good Luck :smile:
Its already around give or take 60/90 which is pathetically low, they cant reduce it anymore because then it would be ridiculous , how can an A be less than 65%

Last year you needed 80/120 UMS for an A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending