The Student Room Group

AQA History HIS1C 13 May European Reformation

Exam is tommorow! Any last minute revision tips?

Also could anyone fully explain why Luther issued the 95 Thesis?

I have a muddled understanding

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrojanH
Exam is tommorow! Any last minute revision tips?

Also could anyone fully explain why Luther issued the 95 Thesis?

I have a muddled understanding

Thanks

How far do you understand?

I am worried about the diet of speyer bit!
Reply 2
Luther issued the 95 theses mainly to show his beliefs and theology. He believed in justification by faith and scriptures alone, and so thought you can be forgiven for your sins through faith in God.
He issued them as an attack on the sale of indulgences which he claimed was unnecessary due to his theology. Not only the sale of indulgences in the fact it was fleecing poor people of their money, but the actual selling of them by Johan Tetzel. Tetzel used manipulations and emotional blackmail to get people to buy the indulgences. Luther thought they were a way of satisfying the corruption of the hierarchy of the Catholic Church.
Finally, Luther issued the 95 theses as an attack on the lack of papal leadership. At that time, (I think) pope Leo X was pope, and he was encouraging the sale of indulgences to gain money to build St Peter's Basillica.

That's what I've got anyway! :smile:
Reply 3
Can someone help me on Calvin ://
What part of Calvin do you not understand? :smile:
Reply 5
Will :biggrin:

"how successful was Calvinism in establisghing itself in Europe by 1564" . Don't have three solid points at all. Also, I only have two factors on why calvin was able to overcome his enemies in Geneva in 1553 to 1555. I have the support of the Church and the support of syndics.

thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by iAmWillJP
What part of Calvin do you not understand? :smile:

"how successful was Calvinism in establisghing itself in Europe by 1564" . Don't have three solid points at all. Also, I only have two factors on why calvin was able to overcome his enemies in Geneva in 1553 to 1555. I have the support of the Church and the support of syndics.

Original post by Chesk12

Yes, I agree the establishing itself in Europe question is not one of my strong ones.

Here is what I have got for some form of plan:

Yes it was successful:

Success in Geneva

Potentially speak of how he was able to establish the Calvin church so well there.

Success else where in Europe

Scotland - 1560 the Scottish parliament set up a church in the model of Calvinism.

John Knox established a form of Calvinism via the Confession of Faith in 1560.

Netherlands - 2% (not much I know, you could argue either side for this point) were converted to Calvinism.

No it wasn't:

Germany

There was not much luck in Germany, the already spreading Lutheran movement left little room for Calvinism.

The Peace of Augsburg 1555 did not include Calvinism.

Elsewhere

England - it appealed to the urban worker and enjoyed a little success, but didn't last long as it was condemned by the monarchy.

Generally difficult to implement where there was a large country with a strong infrastructure. Calvinism was only successful in concentrated areas with in Europe generally.

It is not the greatest question, I'm with you on that - this is the only kinda idea I have.

For opposition my plan is this:

Calvin’s reaction to the challenge posed by the anti-Trinitarian Servetus gained him widespread popular and elite support and enabled him to present himself as the defender of orthodox Christian doctrine

the support over Servetus from other Swiss cities meant that he could present himself as being in the mainstream of the reform movement rather than as a radical outsider

Calvin was able to exploit his increased influence to ensure the defeat of the Libertines in their conflict over the jurisdiction of the Consistory

This links to the growing support for who Calvin was being viewed as, defender of faith.

Consistory was checking up on people and enforcing people, shows controlling.

Calvin enjoyed increased support,

This was bolstered by French immigrants. As a result his supporters triumphed in the Council elections in February 1555

Pro French syndics

The Council were pleased that prostitution and violence was stopping.

The fact he was seen as a defender of faith linked into the growing support from the people of Geneva and the defeat of the libertines and influx of French immigrants and pro-french syndics gave him greater control over the council.
For this question I kinda took the stance, of using an example of when he overcame opposition and said why he was able to do it.

Hope this is of some help! :smile:
Calvin for me is my weaker side for nicely structured responses I must say.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
This is awesome guys really fantastic response from above!

Any predictions on what will come up, we really should do some predictions and answers to help each other - I'm probably amongst the weaker candidates out there :biggrin:

Also I'm a bit dubious on how to answer "How far was the papacy responsible for bringing about reform of the Catholic Church by 1564?" Let me know if this is along the right lines:

For:

Paul III:
- implemented administrive reform e.g sent Bishops back to Diocese
- implemented examination of Catholic Church e.g The Consilia
- Supported new orders e.g Capuchins & Barnabites (expand a bit here say orders showed religious revival and stuff)
- brought about Jesuits (good counter reformers)
- made leaders of some orders cardinals (showed reform ie awarded by merit not money, e.g simony)
Therefore shows Papacy was attempting reform

Against:

- Paul III didn't actually implement it (consilia)
- ruthless senseless Catholic wars?
- work of humanists and protestants put pressure and effectively brought reform
- Popes had kids, simony (innocent VIII sold papal tiara for 100,000 ducats), pluralism (archbishop of Mainz), abseenteism (Arch of Sens) showed corruption rife
- building of St Peters Basillica vs helping faithful poor with hospitals etc + indulgences highlighted corruption
- Catholics rejected reform demands eg diet of speyer, showed unwilling
- Pressure from Schmalkaldic League & Torgau put pressure for reform
- Lutheranism & Calvinism threatened unity of Catholicsm and so pressured for reform

What else would you guys write? Also how would you answer "Explain why Anabaptists were crushed" and also what sort of marks are you getting per 12/24m q & and your grades?
Factors suggestingthe importance to reform of the Church of the Papacy might include:

the role of Paul III in commissioning the Consilium, formally approving the Jesuits, establishing the Roman Inquisition and establishing the Council of Trent

the roles of Julius III and Pius IV in reviving the Council of Trent and, in the case of the latter, beginning the process of enforcing Tridentine decrees

the role of Paul IV in enforcing his own (rather narrow) vision of Catholic reform

the role of the papacy in the encouragement of the Jesuits and the other New Orders.

the reassertion of papal authority and primacy.

Other factorsassisted the process of reform:

the effects of the New Orders

Possible it was all to do with the need for reform and it was very much ad hoc.

Oratory of Divine Love brings back discipline and gets rid of superstition.

Somaschi was all about pastoral work and charity.

Theatines were about living in poverty, not lavish lifestyles the higher clergy were living in.

the early work of the Jesuits

Papacy founded these and supported them

Acting as pastors

Spiritual Exercises

Education

Confessors and popular amongst higher classes.

the eventual assertiveness of the Council of Trent

Popes had huge role in organising this and chairing it with Legates.

Reforms Bishops and Priests and their roles.

Carlo Borromeo was an exemplar example of a Bishop and responsible for Council of the Trent and showed the success of the the Trent

Potentially mention the response of the Lutheran reformation that drives the reform and essentially was why they reformed it.

[font="Calibri"]Key point is that the Papacy played a huge role in all the above and are basically essential in bringing about reform of the church - which is as you would expect as the papacy are the only people capable.

The way I structured that essay is different to yours, but I think you could do it your way and be fine. That is just how I tend to work those particular ones.

For the anabaptists, I do the religious, political and socio-economic reasons why they were crushed with specific examples of different groups. For the Münster question, you have to be specific but theres still stuff to talk about for all the those 3 factors.

I'm averaging around 10-12 and 20-24, but in exam conditions and pressure of not knowing what the heck will come up, it is hard to say on the day. Just hope the best and stick to good exam technique - it's all you can do.

PEEL as much as you can, always link to the question.
For 24 markers, have an argument and keep going back to it and link factors. In the conclusion, say the most important and why etc.
For 12 makers, always do links where you can and state at the end in a mini-conclusion which is the most important and why if applicable.

Reply 10
Factors suggestingthe importance to reform of the Church of the Papacy might include:

the role of Paul III in commissioning the Consilium, formally approving the Jesuits, establishing the Roman Inquisition and establishing the Council of Trent

the roles of Julius III and Pius IV in reviving the Council of Trent and, in the case of the latter, beginning the process of enforcing Tridentine decrees

the role of Paul IV in enforcing his own (rather narrow) vision of Catholic reform

the role of the papacy in the encouragement of the Jesuits and the other New Orders.

the reassertion of papal authority and primacy.

Other factorsassisted the process of reform:

Potentially mention the response of the Lutheran reformation that drives the reform and essentially was why they reformed it.

Key point is that the Papacy played a huge role in all the above and are basically essential in bringing about reform of the church - which is as you would expect as the papacy are the only people capable.

The way I structured that essay is different to yours, but I think you could do it your way and be fine. That is just how I tend to work those particular ones.

For the anabaptists, I do the religious, political and socio-economic reasons why they were crushed with specific examples of different groups. For the Münster question, you have to be specific but theres still stuff to talk about for all the those 3 factors.

I'm averaging around 10-12 and 20-24, but in exam conditions and pressure of not knowing what the heck will come up, it is hard to say on the day. Just hope the best and stick to good exam technique - it's all you can do.

PEEL as much as you can, always link to the question.
For 24 markers, have an argument and keep going back to it and link factors. In the conclusion, say the most important and why etc.
For 12 makers, always do links where you can and state at the end in a mini-conclusion which is the most important and why if applicable.

Again, thank you for this clear piece of information - it will definetly help.

Could you send me a link to an exampler essay (12/24m) to see just how you always link back, I can write them and have gotten full marks a few times I just need to keep rehearsing the key points (bad memory).

Also what the hell is PEEL?! :biggrin: No, I'm joking - guessing it's Point Evidence Explain Link.

Appreciate it :smile:
PEEL is Point Evidence Explain Link :biggrin: Although at AS level, It is good to Point, Ev, Ex, Ev, Ex, Link to expand your point where possible.

Here is some AQA ones I found online for a 2009 paper, some are good examples:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2040-W-TRB-U01SA-HIS1C.PDF
x

Can I just say, your going to smash that exam tomorrow :biggrin:

Me on the other hand really struggled with unit 1, unit 2 on the other hand is a dream! I have no idea how tomorrow will go..
Reply 13
Hi! I'm doing the exam as well tomorrow,

what are your predictions? do you think anabaptists will come up as a 24 mark and not luther? i'm fine with it as a 12 mark

there are three questions so there HAS to be either calvin or luther in one of the questions! what else could it be? and the third one will be jesuits and/or catholic reformation.

what are you predictions for the 24 markers? do you think Luther and Calvin will come up? if so , which area? in Luther its usually a given time period and a why factor, which time period do you think? last year it was 1525-1546. and for calvin its either a why factor to his success or how successful he was, which one do you think it will be?

Calvin questions usually have a 12 marker that is form unit 3 ,which is anabaptists, or there was one paper where it was from the same unit. and for Luther questions both 12 and 24 markers are usually from the same unit.

But I hope there is a luther questions or I'm screwed!:cry2: there was one paper in 2011 which had two unit 3 (anabaptist) questions... do you think it is likely to be that way this year since it hasn't come up in a while!?!? ugh i really hope not!!!

Please reply asap!
Reply 14
Original post by ohgod897
Hi! I'm doing the exam as well tomorrow,

what are your predictions? do you think anabaptists will come up as a 24 mark and not luther? i'm fine with it as a 12 mark

there are three questions so there HAS to be either calvin or luther in one of the questions! what else could it be? and the third one will be jesuits and/or catholic reformation.

what are you predictions for the 24 markers? do you think Luther and Calvin will come up? if so , which area? in Luther its usually a given time period and a why factor, which time period do you think? last year it was 1525-1546. and for calvin its either a why factor to his success or how successful he was, which one do you think it will be?

Calvin questions usually have a 12 marker that is form unit 3 ,which is anabaptists, or there was one paper where it was from the same unit. and for Luther questions both 12 and 24 markers are usually from the same unit.

But I hope there is a luther questions or I'm screwed!:cry2: there was one paper in 2011 which had two unit 3 (anabaptist) questions... do you think it is likely to be that way this year since it hasn't come up in a while!?!? ugh i really hope not!!!

Please reply asap!

My predictions are Exp why Anabaptists were crushed [12m], Extent to which PrintingPress/etc was important in Luther [24m]
Exp why Peasants War [12m]
Explain Calvin importance/something else e.g Consistory in Genevan Reformation [24m]

I never answer the pesky Jesuit questions as their 24 marks are always about annoying Popes that never did anything.

Also I based these on the history of AQA past papers i.e why hasnt come up, most likely etc. literally they cant ask that many questions, you'll all have a good time as long as you practise papers and make key points of summary! :smile:

P.S Some questions - How many sides of A4 do you write for each question under timed conditions (with marks your getting), I write about 1 side for 12m and 2 1/2 sides for 24m (is that enough), usually its 3 1/2 except have made more compact to save time in exam as you barely get any in this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Thank you!

but last year they had the same questions about anabaptists (why they were crushed) , would they not avoid it this year?

ughh i know but I'm really panicked, and yeah, literally don't know a thing about the catholic reformation and council of trent, not even going to bother now. i know a little about jesuits though

I usually write 1 1/2 for 12 mark and 2 1/2 or 3 for 24 mark. but I've always had trouble with timing and am rarely able to finish it, unfortunately didnt ask for extra time earlier on!

could you tell me why you think they'd ask about printing press and reason for calving success (hope you're right! )
Reply 16
Original post by ohgod897
Thank you!

but last year they had the same questions about anabaptists (why they were crushed) , would they not avoid it this year?

ughh i know but I'm really panicked, and yeah, literally don't know a thing about the catholic reformation and council of trent, not even going to bother now. i know a little about jesuits though

I usually write 1 1/2 for 12 mark and 2 1/2 or 3 for 24 mark. but I've always had trouble with timing and am rarely able to finish it, unfortunately didnt ask for extra time earlier on!

could you tell me why you think they'd ask about printing press and reason for calving success (hope you're right! )

Have you read the questions the year before? Or the year before that? Take a glimpse at the entire AQA History Past Papers and you'll find they only ask around 10 different questions, the rest are recycles/variations of that. Just read the book and have points to argue - all you need mate, nothing to worry about... just write faster too, In timed conditions you should write 1page for 12m and then 2/12 sides for 24m or whatever you can fit within a 35minute period (per question)
Original post by TrojanH
Have you read the questions the year before? Or the year before that? Take a glimpse at the entire AQA History Past Papers and you'll find they only ask around 10 different questions, the rest are recycles/variations of that. Just read the book and have points to argue - all you need mate, nothing to worry about... just write faster too, In timed conditions you should write 1page for 12m and then 2/12 sides for 24m or whatever you can fit within a 35minute period (per question)

Exam is in the afternoon right? I just want to make sure
Reply 18
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Exam is in the afternoon right? I just want to make sure

Hahaha :smile:

Yes it is 1:15PM

Best of luck, everyone that goes on the TSR does well! :P
Reply 19
Original post by TrojanH

i looked at june 2014 paper.

yeah I'll try but it's difficult for me to fit everything into one page...

thank you, and good luck today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending