The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels for a course in Computer Science or Computer Games Development

Scroll to see replies

It's up to you.
But, bear in mind that not all unis accept ICT, unless you do maths/physics.
I would advise you do computer science A-Level, rather than ICT.
I didn't know what I wanted to study at uni when i chose my a-levels.
However, I liked the fact I chose something different which gained me knowledge, outside my field of study. Also, keeping "doors" open is a good idea.
It's up to you.
Reply 21
Original post by Harry-Potter
It's up to you.
But, bear in mind that not all unis accept ICT, unless you do maths/physics.
I would advise you do computer science A-Level, rather than ICT.
I didn't know what I wanted to study at uni when i chose my a-levels.
However, I liked the fact I chose something different which gained me knowledge, outside my field of study. Also, keeping "doors" open is a good idea.
It's up to you.

I will probably end up picking Maths, Physics and either Further Maths, Computer Science or Biology.

If all fails, then ICT
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Meninist
I will probably end up picking Maths, Physics and either Further Maths, Computer Science or Biology.

If all fails, then ICT

Im gona keep bugging you on this but doing computer science does NOT give you an edge over other applicants. Further maths will, it will help you greatly when you get into uni, give you lower offers for having taken it, and the computer programming experience you would get from comp sci A level will be covered in the first term of a degree.
Reply 23
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Im gona keep bugging you on this but doing computer science does NOT give you an edge over other applicants. Further maths will, it will help you greatly when you get into uni, give you lower offers for having taken it, and the computer programming experience you would get from comp sci A level will be covered in the first term of a degree.

I will push for Further Maths, but I would have to use that support program. Also, is this just for a computer science course? Would these subjects get me into the other course I specified, Computer Games Development?
I will push for Further Maths, but I would have to use that support program. Also, is this just for a computer science course? Would these subjects get me into the other course I specified, Computer Games Development?

No it will get you into both, it will make computer science much easier to get into, computer games development you can get in with anything, if you look at entry requirements for courses. However I would recommend computer science as it is more highly regarded and it can lead into computer games development if you want but you will be in a much better position to get jobs in the gaming industry.
I think async is missing the point of the thread which is choosing appropriate A levels for a computer science course.
Reply 26
Do further maths... from friends who are actually studying computer science at good universities, they dont really care about your enthusiasm, experience helps but further maths should be a must, at one of my friends cambridge interview he got asked only maths questions. The guy saying you dont need to do it and it worked for him is an anomaly and he probably does not attend the most reputable of universities (yes it matters, sorry if I offended you Async)

Yes they do care about your enthusiasm and experience. I find what you have said to be very offensive, and it's the typical TSR mentality that you must go to a "good" university, and if you don't then your life will equate to nothing.

When did I say you didn't need maths? I said maths is important, however enthusiasm, aptitude and experience is more valuable. Not everyone who is good at maths will be good at Computing. I know so many good mathematicians that failed their A-Level Computing course, and vice versa.

It is very important for OP to get experience good for programming and learn it well before getting into a CompSci course. His extensive experience will be better value and help him to cope with the course.

Why isit mandatory that OP must go to Cambridge, Oxford?

Your forgetting, Game development is a very practical subject, most of the "top" ranked unis just focus more on the theoretical aspects, which is probably why you need maths.
Reply 27
I appreciate all the help from you guys, I will be going for Maths, Physics and hopefully Further Maths as it is what Universities are looking for in requirements - while I also have the enthusiasm to do it. I will take on board what you have said though Async and take on some coding and what not in my spare time, and learn more about it before throwing all my eggs into one basket, one might say.
Reply 28
Original post by Bobjim12
I think async is missing the point of the thread which is choosing appropriate A levels for a computer science course.

Fair enough I might have. To be honest, I have such a strong bias against maths. I remember being in OPs position sometime 2 years ago, I was recommend to go with maths cuz I wanted to do CompSci. I ended up hating that first year of college, absolutely struggled with maths regardless of how hard I tried. I have never ever tried so hard at something, only to fail it due to how my brain works. But, I was still very good at programming/computer science course despite me being crap at maths which surprised all of my teachers.

Anyway, I found out I had some variant of dyscalculia which made maths a nightmare for me. If I had known that this would of happened, I would NOT have chosen maths at all. I just don't want the same thing happened to someone else. That's why I get a bit "attacky" when people say you need Maths for Computer Science. It brings back that frustration and depression I felt when I used to do maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Async
Fair enough I might have. To be honest, I have such a strong bias against maths. I remember being in OPs position sometime 2 years ago, I was recommend to go with maths cuz I wanted to do CompSci. I ended up hating that first year of college, absolutely struggled with maths regardless of how hard I tried. But, I was still very good at programming/computer science course despite me being crap at maths. If I had known that this would of happened, I would NOT have chosen maths at all.

Anyway, I found out I had some variant of dyscalculia which made maths a nightmare for me. I just don't want the same thing happened to someone else. That's why I get a bit "attacky" when people say you need Maths for Computer Science.

I see what you're saying, it is still relevant though to suggest other beneficial things i suppose,

We cool? :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by Bobjim12
I see what you're saying, it is still relevant though to suggest other beneficial things i suppose,

We cool? :wink:

Yeah, is fine we cool don't worry. :h:
Original post by Async
Yes they do care about your enthusiasm and experience. I find what you have said to be very offensive, and it's the typical TSR mentality that you must go to a "good" university, and if you don't then your life will equate to nothing.

When did I say you didn't need maths? I said maths is important, however enthusiasm, aptitude and experience is more valuable. Not everyone who is good at maths will be good at Computing. I know so many good mathematicians that failed their A-Level Computing course, and vice versa.

It is very important for OP to get experience good for programming and learn it well before getting into a CompSci course. His extensive experience will be better value and help him to cope with the course.

Why isit mandatory that OP must go to Cambridge, Oxford?

Your forgetting, Game development is a very practical subject, most of the "top" ranked unis just focus more on the theoretical aspects, which is probably why you need maths.

He doesnt need to go to Oxbridge, what I was trying to make clear was that for any russell group university will require AT LEAST maths if not further maths. I am not discrediting what you have done, but when applying to those unis his A level choices and maths ability are more important that experience unless he is some godly coder in Java or C++ etc. Your life wont equate to nothing if you dont go to a russell group university however you have a much higher chance or doing well if you do, it is about playing the odds. Someone from Bolton university could be far more successful than someone from Cambridge, or Bristol or Bath but the likely hood is he wont be. That is what I am trying to get across. If the OP does not care which university he goes to and wishes purely to go into game design then fair play, he will head your points I am sure. I am just giving the OP another point of view, it cannot just be dominated by someone shouting that maths is not important when in reality it is. Just because you struggled doesnt mean everyone else will, everyone has their talents.

(I cant do languages to save my life, getting a C in french 2 years ago has been the best news I ever heard, forget the rest of the better grades).
Reply 32
He doesnt need to go to Oxbridge, what I was trying to make clear was that for any russell group university will require AT LEAST maths if not further maths. I am not discrediting what you have done, but when applying to those unis his A level choices and maths ability are more important that experience unless he is some godly coder in Java or C++ etc. Your life wont equate to nothing if you dont go to a russell group university however you have a much higher chance or doing well if you do, it is about playing the odds. Someone from Bolton university could be far more successful than someone from Cambridge, or Bristol or Bath but the likely hood is he wont be. That is what I am trying to get across. If the OP does not care which university he goes to and wishes purely to go into game design then fair play, he will head your points I am sure. I am just giving the OP another point of view, it cannot just be dominated by someone shouting that maths is not important when in reality it is. Just because you struggled doesnt mean everyone else will, everyone has their talents.

(I cant do languages to save my life, getting a C in french 2 years ago has been the best news I ever heard, forget the rest of the better grades).

Everyone else in my college stuggled with maths. I understand what you're saying when you put it that way.

I tend to assume that maths is hard and that most people will sturggle with it. But yes you're right, however the mass majority of the populate do struggle with maths due to the way our brains are wired. I guess my experience with maths is what fuels my bias towards it
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3316335&page=2&p=55706493&highlight=#post55706493
Original post by Async
Everyone else in my college stuggled with maths. I understand what you're saying when you put it that way.

I tend to assume that maths is hard and that most people will sturggle with it. But yes you're right, however the mass majority of the populate do struggle with maths due to the way our brains are wired. I guess my experience with maths is what fuels my bias towards it
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3316335&page=2&p=55706493&highlight=#post55706493

Alright, good to see we are all friends again :smile:
And we're the 3 best friends that anyone can have
Reply 35
Original post by Async
Maths would be beneficial to game development, but it's not a necessity. Psychics is not really related to game development. IF i was you I strongly suggest you learn to code over the half term and try to develop some games. See if you like it or not. You might be signing yourself up to something you cannot handle.

It's good you have some interest in the subject, but you will need programming experience to understand how game dev will work. I know a good game dev, that didn't even do Maths, he does a BTEC Extended Diploma in Game Development.

Also, you will have to spend HOURS UPON HOURS to get good at Coding/Game Dev. But if you enjoy it, you won't see it as that.

Whaaaaaat? Physics is completely relevant to game dev. personally i dont see it as necessary for comp sci but my module in game dev. had quite a bit of physics, one of the major sector where it is actually relevant imo.
Reply 36
if I were you i would just take subjects that you enjoy and try to be relevant to comp sci

physics isnt required as someone previously stated nor is it entirely relevant (except when regrading my last post)

Maths is required for some unis but that is very much the minority, take it if you can same goes with FM.

ignore people recommending chem and bio, thats just stupid, dont bother, Psychology however could be useful if you look into going into AI?

Computing/comp sci/IT at A level or BTEC is relevant but for some reason isnt regarded entirely well, personally i believe this to be just as good (if not better) preparation (or any other form of programming) for CS as Maths and Sciences and thats coming fro a CS undergrad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Async
Chemistry? Chemistry is barely related to Computer Science. An A-Level in Computing or Computer Science would be more suitable(I know his sixth form doesn't do it).

because he said that he wanted to do chemistry or biology, i didn't say it was going to be related, and with the options his sixth form have given him he is going to have to take something he enjoys as there aren't many others necessary such as computing or further maths :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by yt7777
Whaaaaaat? Physics is completely relevant to game dev. personally i dont see it as necessary for comp sci but my module in game dev. had quite a bit of physics, one of the major sector where it is actually relevant imo.

Ohh sorry, my bad. I wouldn't know cuz I don't do game dev, I was just assuming.
So I have the choice of picking either Physics, Maths and Biology/ICT or Maths, Chemistry and Biology/ICT and I am hoping to go to university for a course in either Computer Science or Computer Games Development.

What subjects do you think I should choose, and if you have other recommendations then state them. I don't know about ICT as apparently it doesn't count as Computing, which is not available here. Nor is Further Maths.

Also, which of the two courses is better?

Heyo,

I do games development. Universities definitely look for a computing background when doing a games course, so ICT would probably be a minimum. Maths and Physics aren't necessarily needed to be able to program, especially considering libraries can help with that, but it definitely does help and looks good on your CV/application.

As for your computing dilemma, ICT does not count as Computing, but they don't really differentiate on applications, they are both worth the same UCAS points. If you do ICT, you'll probably want to do some programming outside of the course to show you're capable.

Quick Reply

Latest