The Student Room Group

Criticised for not giving up my seat on the train

So today, I was sitting on a seat that I reserved on the train from Kings X to Cambridge with my laptop and this incredibly rude and obnoxious old woman boards the train (she must have been around 70) comes up to my seat and demands that I give her my seat. So I said, 'excuse me but I paid £20 for this seat to be reserved, I think you should ask one of the guys who haven't reserved a seat. But of course this woman starts complaining that I'm selfish and an old woman should have number one priority over me. The woman next to me said that it was quite mean that I didn't give this lady my seat but I reserved it and it was £20!! I would have given it to her had it not been reserved.

Do you guys think I'm in the wrong or right because lots of people said that I should have given it up but I wasn't going to if it cost me £20 to reserve the damn thing.
You were right.
She's not your problem, even if you didn't reserve it you're not obligated to give away your seat.
Just because she is old does not mean she has the right to take your seat, especially if you have paid for it. In fact there are seats allocated for the less able.

I would have done the same.
Kings Cross to Cambridge isn't a long journey. You paid for your seat so you should sit there. If she was kinder about it, maybe somebody overhearing your conversation would've offer her their seat. Since nobody did, as you say, then I guess she was extremely rude! I don't know why she wanted that exact seat; couldn't she have just walked through to the next carriage? Unless she was moderately or severely unable :smile: xx
Reply 5
Old people like that are ********s. I've had a few do that to me, luckily on one occasion another elderly woman stood up for me and started yelling back at the person for giving my trouble and giving old people a bad name looool

It felt nice.
I've never known anyone to be able to reserve a seat on the Kings Cross to Cambridge train. If you could, I'm sure it would be a tad cheaper than a score... and have some way of identifying itself as a reserved seat.

Something's not quite right...
Yeah *******s to her, she could have picked anyone in the carriage to whinge at.
Reply 8
Original post by rockrunride
I've never known anyone to be able to reserve a seat on the Kings Cross to Cambridge train. If you could, I'm sure it would be a tad cheaper than a score... and have some way of identifying itself as a reserved seat.

Something's not quite right...

Your troll sense is dead on sir.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3306389
If you look on trainline.com, the standard fare is £24 for a return trip from London Kings X to Cambridge

No trolls my good fellow, this happened this morning on my trip back to Cambridge
Original post by HolyPotterhead12
No trolls my good fellow, this happened this morning on my trip back to Cambridge

You cannot reserve a seat on a Great Northern service. It is simply not possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending