The Student Room Group

AS AQA Sociology Families + Households

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Protégé
Too much or too little?

If you meant 5 sides as in the whole exam paper, that's a good amount!

If you were talking about an essay, I'd just wanna know how you write so much in such little time! :ninja:
Original post by shanefarre11
Yeah, I'm not sure if I was right but I answered the first 24 mark question by just explaining each theories opinions on policy, so, functionalist, new right, feminist and Marxist, I did include examples of policy for each one but I think you were just meant to say policies. All of my friends had just written just about specific policies and their effects on society, will I get any marks?

I did the same, the question didn't ask about Sociological views but I did it anyway. I think as long as you mentioned the policies you will get marks, though less than if you would have entirely focused on policies. Though that's if the question is indeed focused only on policies and disregards the sociological perspectives.
Original post by shanefarre11
Yeah, I'm not sure if I was right but I answered the first 24 mark question by just explaining each theories opinions on policy, so, functionalist, new right, feminist and Marxist, I did include examples of policy for each one but I think you were just meant to say policies. All of my friends had just written just about specific policies and their effects on society, will I get any marks?

The best answers always interweave theory. On the contrary, only talking about social policies is actually what makes you lose marks. Don't worry!
Original post by thecatwithnohat
If you meant 5 sides as in the whole exam paper, that's a good amount!

If you were talking about an essay, I'd just wanna know how you write so much in such little time! :ninja:

I meant the whole exam paper, lol. How much did you write?

Original post by SaifJalali
I did the same! What points did you use? I used Functionalism, Marxism, New Right, Feminism and Marxist Feminism.

So I suppose you could say 4 + 1 sub-perspective.

Bare in mind I'm talking about the whole exam, not just the one essay.

I used Functionalism, New Right and Feminism, I used Donzelot's opinion on social policies policing and controlling the family but I never explicitly mentioned Marxism.
Original post by Protégé
I meant the whole exam paper, lol.

lmao perfect length then.
how many policies/laws did people mention?
The thing is, item B was really straightforward in the sense that as long as you talked about adults/children being separate and then contrasted this with the boundary being blurred, you essentially referred to the item!

Since the question was specified on one select aspect of childhood, as long as you talked about the correct points, you essentially incorporated 2B!

My paragraphs were:
Postman, disappearance of childhood and sue palmers toxic childhood
Aries march of progress
Nick Lee dual status
Democracy of emotions and globalisation of western childhood
Then concluded by saying that it wasnt as simple as saying that childhood does or doesnt exist anymore
Do you think that makes it seem like I did read the item
Original post by Protégé
I meant the whole exam paper, lol. How much did you write?

Bare in mind I'm talking about the whole exam, not just the one essay.

I used Functionalism, New Right and Feminism, I used Donzelot's opinion on social policies policing and controlling the family but I never explicitly mentioned Marxism.

I had to ask for a second answer booklet. All in all I think I wrote 8-9 pages lmao.

I wanted to use Donzelot's theory, but I figured I would be better off incorporating the main four as opposed to a tertiary, although one could probably make the argument the Donzelot's theory was more sophisticated if you explained it fully. Nonetheless, I'm sure either is fine.

Did you talk about historical social policy? I didn't have time to write a full paragraph on it, so I just briefly mentioned it in my conclusion along the lines of "in order to truly examine the extent influence social policy has on family life, one must put it into context against Nazi policy" etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 188
I didn't really talk about how the goverment policies impacted family life more about what New Right and Feminist thought on them????? Is this wrong
Original post by MC777
I didn't really talk about how the goverment policies impacted family life more about what New Right and Feminist thought on them????? Is this wrong

It's right what you've mentioned, you just haven't mentioned all of the perspectives.

I had to ask for a second answer booklet. All in all I think I wrote 8-9 pages lmao.

I wanted to use Donzelot's theory, but I figured I would be better off incorporating the main four as opposed to a tertiary, although one could probably make the argument the Donzelot's theory was more sophisticated if you explained it fully. Nonetheless, I'm sure either is fine.

Did you talk about historical social policy? I didn't have time to write a full paragraph on it, so I just briefly mentioned it in my conclusion along the lines of "in order to truly examine the extent influence social policy has on family life, one must put it into context against Nazi policy" etc.

Gah, I completely forgot to mention those :cry2:
Original post by chazzamee
My paragraphs were:
Postman, disappearance of childhood and sue palmers toxic childhood
Aries march of progress
Nick Lee dual status
Democracy of emotions and globalisation of western childhood
Then concluded by saying that it wasnt as simple as saying that childhood does or doesnt exist anymore
Do you think that makes it seem like I did read the item

With Postman's theory you definitely did at least partially. When talking about the toxicity of childhood did you elaborate on it along the lines of it "blurring the line between childhood/adulthood?" If I'm not mistaken 2B was quite similar to that statement.

Bloody hell mate, how the hell do you write so fast?

Yes, I realised that I had left it in so I just made a quick paragraph about the efforts to increase fertility by Nazi Germany, Romania and Communist Russia.
Reply 192
I'm kind of nervous about my Marxist one now :O.

The question was asking for the functions of the family from a Marxist view right?

The points you gave pertain to Marxist Feminism, but I would assume both are correct seeing as they both involve Marxism... I think lol :s-smilie:

Your answers are perfect!
It's right what you've mentioned, you just haven't mentioned all of the perspectives.

Gah, I completely forgot to mention those :cry2:

Don't worry - it isn't that important. I just thought it would be nice to have a point of reference as part of AO2.
With Postman's theory you definitely did at least partially. When talking about the toxicity of childhood did you elaborate on it along the lines of it "blurring the line between childhood/adulthood?" If I'm not mistaken 2B was quite similar to that statement.

My point was along the lines of the idea that it meant that children were exposed to adult practices
I can only hope I get a nice marker!
Don't worry - it isn't that important. I just thought it would be nice to have a point of reference as part of A02.

Look at you, ticking all those boxes for an A :sexface: good on you!
Original post by Protégé
Bloody hell mate, how the hell do you write so fast?

Yes, I realised that I had left it in so I just made a quick paragraph about the efforts to increase fertility by Nazi Germany, Romania and Communist Russia.

I do English, History, Sociology and Psych, I think my body has just adapted to the speed lol :tongue:. Plus writing has always been my forte, so I mean, hey.
Look at you, ticking all those boxes for an A :sexface: good on you!

You have no idea how nice that is to hear lol! I'm trying to apply to Cambridge next year and you need 90% UMS in pretty much every exam so I'm just contemplating all the stupid mistakes I may have made :s-smilie:
I do English, History, Sociology and Psych, I think my body has just adapted to the speed lol :tongue:. Plus writing has always been my forte, so I mean, hey.

I do History, Sociology, Psychology and IT. I usually write less but with just concise points that get the marks. That's one of the reasons I dislike Sociology, the mark scheme is just weird. My teacher told me to just write down everything I know about a topic in an essay question..
Original post by Protégé
I do History, Sociology, Psychology and IT. I usually write less but with just concise points that get the marks. That's one of the reasons I dislike Sociology, the mark scheme is just weird. My teacher told me to just write down everything I know about a topic in an essay question..

It's true. I think Sociology is one of the only subjects in which you can talk about completely different theories (obviously pertaining to the same topic) yet still get the same, if not higher marks than someone else. I suppose in a way that could be a good thing though as instead of assessing your ability to regurgitate information you are actually being assessed on your clarity/organisational skills.

Whatever the case may be, let's just hope we all get what we want!

Quick Reply

Latest