The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C1 - Wednesday 13th May 2015

Okay, so I couldn't find another thread about this exam (feel free to direct me to it if I'm just really bad at looking) so I thought I'd create this.

Reminder - the OCR C1 exam is on Wednesday 13th May in the morning. It is a non calculator paper and lasts for 1h 30min. The paper will be marked out of 72.
As guidance, the grade boundaries in the last two years were as follows:
June 2013: A - 60, B - 54, C - 48, D - 43, E - 38.
June 2014: A - 65, B - 59, C - 53, D - 47, E - 41.

Useful resources:
Past papers back to January 2005 with all the mark schemes. Alternatively papers are on the OCR website.
The specification can be found here (scroll to C1).
Useful revision notes here.

Good luck everyone! :smile:

C2 thread here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3320107

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloe-jessica

Please remove the link to stolen copyright material.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
Please remove the link to stolen copyright material.

Assuming it's the Solomon papers? Thought it was weird they were accesible on the internet but assumed it was fine to post them since they were free to find on this website. I've taken down the link to them, let me know if it's anything else. Sorry for including them, like I said I was unaware they were disallowed since they were posted there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hope everyone is feeling prepared for tomorrow, should be a fairly straightforward paper if it's anything like last year.

What do you guys think are the hardest past papers?
Original post by scrlk
Hope everyone is feeling prepared for tomorrow, should be a fairly straightforward paper if it's anything like last year.

What do you guys think are the hardest past papers?

2010 Jan was really difficult with the first principles and applications of differentiation questions.

I hope it is the same as last years. Just did it and got 70/72 based on the mark scheme that my teacher gave me.
Reply 5
I bet there will be an applications of differentiation question this year, I don't think I've seen one in the last few years.
Ok. Better get practising then as they are my weak area.
Reply 7
Original post by scrlk
I bet there will be an applications of differentiation question this year, I don't think I've seen one in the last few years.

I was thinking this too :smile: applications are alright, just often I forget that part of my answer is physically impossible once applied to the question if that makes sense.
I'm so nervous! Do you guys have any ppredictions for tomorrow?
What do you mean by 'applications of differentiation' - could you give an example question please? Thanks :smile:
Original post by nobodycarescarla
I'm so nervous! Do you guys have any ppredictions for tomorrow?

Well, I know what topics will come up as they always do each year lol
Original post by freyfreyy96
What do you mean by 'applications of differentiation' - could you give an example question please? Thanks :smile:

This came up in Jan 2007.
Reply 12
* C2 thread here *
Original post by Peppercrunch

This came up in Jan 2007.

Thank you that's great:smile:
Reply 14
Does anyone have any particularly difficult questions that they've come across?
Can someone help me with inequalities i always get the signs wrong :frown: thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Saraaliakaqueen
Can someone help me with inequalities i always get the signs wrong :frown: thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it easiest to learn from examples, so here are a few:
1) 5x + 3 > 7
5x > 4
x > 4/5
These are the easy ones haha :smile:

2) -7x + 2 > 19
-7x > 17
x < 17/-7
Note - if you're diving by a number that is negative, you need to flip the sign (i.e. > changes to < and < changes to > ). Loads of people always forget to do this.

3) x^2 + 4x + 3 > 0
Factorise to get (x+1)(x+3) > 0
Now draw the x^2 + 4x + 3 graph, which will be a positive parabola (aka a smiley face) since the x^2 term is positive and will cross the x-axis at -1 and -3, shown by the factorisation. As you want the area where the graph is above 0, you need either side of -1 and -3, so the answer is:
x < -3 or x > -1.
For quadratic inequalities, always draw the graph as it's the easiest way to find which area you want. If it's x^2 + ... > 0 you need the area above the x-axis, if it's x^2 + ... < 0 you need the area below the x-axis.

Hope that helped, if it didn't then let me know and I'll try again!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kawehi
Does anyone have any particularly difficult questions that they've come across?

This is probably one of the more difficult, by C1 standards anyway: (January 2011)

Strange to think that this is the first non-calculator exam I'll have done in 6 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
I find it easiest to learn from examples, so here are a few:
1) 5x + 3 > 7
5x > 4
x > 4/5
These are the easy ones haha :smile:

2) 0.7x + 2 > 19
0.7x > 17
x < 17/0.7
Note - if you're diving by a number that is a decimal, you need to flip the sign (i.e. > changes to < and < changes to >:wink:. Loads of people always forget to do this.

3) x^2 + 4x + 3 > 0
Factorise to get (x+1)(x+3) > 0
Now draw the x^2 + 4x + 3 graph, which will be a positive parabola (aka a smiley face) since the x^2 term is positive and will cross the x-axis at -1 and -3, shown by the factorisation. As you want the area where the graph is above 0, you need either side of -1 and -3, so the answer is:
x < -3 or x > -1.
For quadratic inequalities, always draw the graph as it's the easiest way to find which area you want. If it's x^2 + ... > 0 you need the area above the x-axis, if it's x^2 + ... < 0 you need the area below the x-axis.

Hope that helped, if it didn't then let me know and I'll try again!

Ohmygoodness why didnt i join this website before. You have been so helpful! May u get all the A*s in the world you absolute BABE

Posted from TSR Mobile

2) 0.7x + 2 > 19
0.7x > 17
x < 17/0.7
Note - if you're diving by a number that is a decimal, you need to flip the sign (i.e. > changes to < and < changes to >:wink:. Loads of people always forget to do this.

This isn't correct. You only change the sign when dividing by a negative number (an integer or otherwise).

Quick Reply