The Student Room Group

M2 Normal reaction question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 000alex
So what counters the component of mg tangential to the slope? (so that the particle does not slip)

Nothing "counters" it, as such. The acceleration vector parallel to R combines with the acceleration vector down the slope to give an acceleration vector pointing to the centre of the circle.
Reply 21
Original post by atsruser
Nothing "counters" it, as such. The acceleration vector parallel to R combines with the acceleration vector down the slope to give an acceleration vector pointing to the centre of the circle.

So I don't get why the particle doesn't slip up or down the slope (change its radius of circular motion)

The only forces parallel to the slope are the component of mg (which is down the slope) and the force due to acceleration (which is down the slope also) right?
Original post by 000alex
So I don't get why the particle doesn't slip up or down the slope (change its radius of circular motion)

The only forces parallel to the slope are the component of mg (which is down the slope) and the force due to acceleration (which is down the slope also) right?

Everything you needed to know was in posts 2 and 5 (if I've got the right numbers).

For every question about motion in a horizontal circle, there are 2 equations:
upwards forces = downward forces
sum of horizontal forces = m a

If you are still up, go to bed
Original post by 000alex

Did you do M2 ocr today? If so, How was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MsFahima

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, went well, I think 71/72, absolute worst case 67/68 but according to the TSR mark scheme and friends it should fall below 71. Yourself? It was a really tough paper though, question 7 thank god I do M3.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I did, went well, I think 71/72, absolute worst case 67/68 but according to the TSR mark scheme and friends it should fall below 71. Yourself? It was a really tough paper though, question 7 thank god I do M3.

Hii. Can you direct me to the tsr mark scheme please?

And I couldn't do q7.. :frown: lost 11 marks and the rest was okay! Might have lost few here and there.. but overall I'm okay!

Ah lucky you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hii. Can you direct me to the tsr mark scheme please?

And I couldn't do q7.. :frown: lost 11 marks and the rest was okay! Might have lost few here and there.. but overall I'm okay!

Ah lucky you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... M3 was a big advantage.

1i) 8 m/s
1ii) 126m
2) 4.73 N , 51.6 degrees
3) 200N , 12,500 W
4i) 5.00 (center of mass)
4ii) 16N, 79/80N
5i) h = 1.4095
ii) 2.55 Ns upwards
5iii) 2.67J (cant remember exact so roughly this)
6i) QED
6ii)66.4degrees above 44.6 degrees below7i)
QED7ii) a less than or equal to 38i) QED
8ii) 0.75m/s, 1.8 m/s
8iii) 3.5 radians per second

I think I dropped 1-2 marks on 8ii as I misread weight of B as 0.3 kg, not 0.5 kg.
Yeah... M3 was a big advantage.

1i) 8 m/s1ii) 126m2) 4.73 N , 51.6 degrees3) 200N , 12,500 W4i) 5.00 (center of mass)4ii) 16N, 79/80N5i) h = 1.4095ii) 2.55 Ns upwards 5iii) 2.67J (cant remember exact so roughly this)6i) QED6ii)66.4degrees above 44.6 degrees below7i) QED7ii) a less than or equal to 38i) QED8ii) 0.75m/s, 1.8 m/s8iii) 3.5 radians per second

I think I dropped 1-2 marks on 8ii as I misread weight of B as 0.3 kg, not 0.5 kg.

Ah thank you!

Oopsie. I got most things right. Can't remember some of it. But yeah seems like I did alright.

Anyway, I'm going to do better in C3/C4.

:smile:

When's your next exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thank you!

Oopsie. I got most things right. Can't remember some of it. But yeah seems like I did alright.

Anyway, I'm going to do better in C3/C4.

:smile:

When's your next exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP1 tomorrow, then 2 more next week and 14 more after half term *sigh*
FP1 tomorrow, then 2 more next week and 14 more after half term *sigh*

Woah! That's too many! Good Luck! :biggrin:
Reply 30

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, according to the M2 thread dropped ~10 marks, probably got just under 90ums, hopefully others did worse so grade boundaries fall :P
Original post by 000alex
Yep, according to the M2 thread dropped ~10 marks, probably got just under 90ums, hopefully others did worse so grade boundaries fall :P

Haha! Well I hope so too. Although I don't want to be the others who did worse. :tongue:
Woah! That's too many! Good Luck! :biggrin:

Thanks, its annoying how our school does AS and A2 in the second, that coupled with STEP and AEA = lots of exams. All I can say is thank god I did AS maths last year or it would be 22 total.
x

Do you think that was a tough paper?
Do you think that was a tough paper?

Very much so a tough paper, 8 questions meant that you could afford to mess a question and not get penalised too much but I reckon grade boundaries for A are going to be 54-57. A* will be that + difference between A and B (this is assumes gap from A->C < A->72), 100% UMS is likely something from 68->72.
Very much so a tough paper, 8 questions meant that you could afford to mess a question and not get penalised too much but I reckon grade boundaries for A are going to be 54-57. A* will be that + difference between A and B (this is assumes gap from A->C < A->72), 100% UMS is likely something from 68->72.

Yeah true. I hope I get an A. I thought that it was a moderate paper besides Q7 (11 marks!!!).

Thanks dude.
Yeah true. I hope I get an A. I thought that it was a moderate paper besides Q7 (11 marks!!!).

Thanks dude.

No worries, it seems Q7, Q1ii, Q4 and Q8iii are the places people struggled, especially Q7. You will definitely get an A if you only lost 11 marks.
No worries, it seems Q7, Q1ii, Q4 and Q8iii are the places people struggled, especially Q7. You will definitely get an A if you only lost 11 marks.

No, I've lost more than 11. Q7 (11) 8(iii) (4) - Those two I am certain I lost the marks there.
No, I've lost more than 11. Q7 (11) 8(iii) (4) - Those two I am certain I lost the marks there.

If you didnt lose anymore apart from that then you are sure to get an A, ig not hope for the best :smile: I am sure you did great m8, I r8 8/8 just believe in f8 :hugs:
If you didnt lose anymore apart from that then you are sure to get an A, ig not hope for the best :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest