The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This season against the top 9, P15 W4...
The awkward moment when Eden Hazard has a bigger trophy cabinet than Arsenal...
Looking at Arsenal's trophy cabinet because i'm #salty #obsessed, and I discover that they only won five trophies in the 18 years between 1971 and 1989, and only 1 trophy between the FA Cup in 1979 and the League in 1989.
Original post by RA95
Yeah but we're at 2015, and by the time we reach 2020 at most he'll be 32/33 which isn't completely inconceivable (though unlikely to happen) for a target man striker to still be playing

God help us if he's our main striker for that period though.

That's 5 years from now so he'll be at least 33
Original post by The Shed End
Looking at Arsenal's trophy cabinet because i'm #salty #obsessed, and I discover that they only won five trophies in the 18 years between 1971 and 1989, and only 1 trophy between the FA Cup in 1979 and the League in 1989.

Read Fever Pitch if you like, gives a very interesting account of the malaise around the club at that time.

You say 'only' 5 trophies but I suspect only 3/4 clubs bettered that. And we won the title in 1991 just after that period as well. Football was different back then though, bar Liverpool there were no club really able to sustain a place near the top for any extended period. Utd won no titles in that period either, and certainly not Chelsea who were in the 2nd division for much of it. Every club has had trophy droughts, Utd before Fergie, Liverpool/Spurs currently. I guess at City/Chelsea before Oil money it waqsnt so much a drought as a way of life.

Secondly you have to say Arsenal have never been a club that dominated any period, bar the 1930s perhaps, and we've always just steadily added titles/cups over the decades. For me that's the sign of a club with inherent long term foundations rather than just rinsing a 20 year period when a legendary manager comes round(hello Liverpool and Utd!)

Bottom line is that Arsenal have won a title in every decade, bar one, since the 1920s and with the Highbury gates etc Arsenal were, and are, undisputedly the biggest club in London.
(edited 8 years ago)
Indeed, although I reckon Herbert Chapman buying you a place in the Old First Division probably helped #sugardaddyclubbeforeitwascool
Reply 9886
Original post by Depleted
That's 5 years from now so he'll be at least 33

Cool thanks for the clarification

andy-300x195.png
(edited 8 years ago)
ffs can someone just ban Shed End please?
Original post by angelfox

Ok

Gimme a minute
Indeed, although I reckon Herbert Chapman buying you a place in the Old First Division probably helped #sugardaddyclubbeforeitwascool

No proof of that whatsoever. Participation in the old first Div was by invitation and they obviously wanted Arsenal to participate(not that uncommon, the Bundesliga in the 1960s invited sides from their 3rd level to participate actually). There may have been bribes, there may not have been we'll never know but it is quite strange how some people like to throw that claim out there as if it is some long buried truth.

I love how people dont really think about what that claim implies anyway. As if Arsenal finished 5th or whatever and the authorities just promoted them anyway, in a blatantly corrupt way. It was completely up to the discretion of the FA to decide who played in the first division. Not Arsenal's fault we were picked whilst others were not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by angelfox

Haha, I've done nothing against the rules. Just because you seem to be a sensitive little fairy you want me banned?
Reply 9891
It's true to be honest, Shed doesn't do much wrong. Initiates conversations that practically highlight the stuff that the majority of non Arsenal fans think anyway. Either debate with him & tell him where he's wrong like Zurich did ^ or just ignore him. No need to get in to petty arguments tbh.

Thing is, a lot of us take the baits and boom - he's laughing.
Reply 9892
Original post by SA-1
It's true to be honest, Shed doesn't do much wrong. Initiates conversations that practically highlight the stuff that the majority of non Arsenal fans think anyway. Either debate with him & tell him where he's wrong like Zurich did ^ or just ignore him. No need to get in to petty arguments tbh.

Thing is, a lot of us take the baits and boom - he's laughing.

I like Shed End tbh reminds me of my 12 year old cousin :smile:
I agree shed hasn't done anything wrong in the last couple of weeks, he's kept the thread on topic more than half the new dupe accounts. If you don't like what he says ignore it
Original post by leinad2012
I agree shed hasn't done anything wrong in the last couple of weeks, he's kept the thread on topic more than half the new dupe accounts. If you don't like what he says ignore it

It's usually you who causes arguments with pettiness anyway lad
Shots.
Original post by RA95
I like Shed End tbh reminds me of my 12 year old cousin :smile:

You remind me of my cousin. He has schizophrenia and feels the need to take on multiple personalities (or dupes in some cases) :wink:
Three cheers for the ignore list
Reply 9898
You remind me of my cousin. He has schizophrenia and feels the need to take on multiple personalities (or dupes in some cases) :wink:

What dupe my name couldn't have been made the slightest bit more obvious :confused:

Absolute poor from you by the way, to joke about such serious matters! Have a drink of the Ty bottle
Shots 2.

Latest