The Student Room Group

Applying for a new degree but unsure on whether to complete my current degree first

I am currently studying towards a degree in English language and Linguistics, however, it's been a bit of a mess so far due to depression and anxiety. It's taken me three years but I haven't really progressed and I can't see a successful end in sight. Realistically, I won't come out of this with a good grade. Recently, I've decided that I want to start over and do a degree in Speech and Language Therapy, where I would actually be working towards some sort of goal of a career I'd love to do and hopefully I'd do a bit better on it (I will make sure I am in a better place mental health wise before I start). I can either apply for a 4 year Undergraduate starting in 2016 or a 2 year Postgraduate providing I get a 2:1 in my current degree which seems very unlikely. My questions here is, practically, what would be my best option for the next year- continue on with my somewhat relevant degree (but only useful if I could get on to a Postgrad with it) and get a poor grade and then apply, or admit defeat and spend the next year earning money, gaining volunteering experience and getting towards a healthy headspace and then starting over with an Undergraduate degree. If I am applying for a second Undergraduate would it matter than I already have an Undergraduate degree in a poor grade, or have dropped out? Would that hurt my chances or is one preferable in this situation?

Thank you for any replies!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dolleyesdogbait
I am currently studying towards a degree in English language and Linguistics, however, it's been a bit of a mess so far due to depression and anxiety. It's taken me three years but I haven't really progressed and I can't see a successful end in sight. Realistically, I won't come out of this with a good grade. Recently, I've decided that I want to start over and do a degree in Speech and Language Therapy, where I would actually be working towards some sort of goal of a career I'd love to do and hopefully I'd do a bit better on it (I will make sure I am in a better place mental health wise before I start). I can either apply for a 4 year Undergraduate starting in 2016 or a 2 year Postgraduate providing I get a 2:1 in my current degree which seems very unlikely. My questions here is, practically, what would be my best option for the next year- continue on with my somewhat relevant degree (but only useful if I could get on to a Postgrad with it) and get a poor grade and then apply, or admit defeat and spend the next year earning money, gaining volunteering experience and getting towards a healthy headspace and then starting over with an Undergraduate degree. If I am applying for a second Undergraduate would it matter than I already have an Undergraduate degree in a poor grade, or have dropped out? Would that hurt my chances or is one preferable in this situation?

If I was an admissions tutor, I would be very worried about taking on a student who had not been able to complete their first degree after three years. It would make me wonder if they were actually going to manage to finish a fairly demanding S&LT degree at all.

I would suggest finishing your current degree and getting the best grade you can. You might get a 2:1, and if you don't, then at least a 2:2 will show that you did achieve, and that you have some staying power, even if your MH issues got in the way. You will then be able to go on and apply for an S&LT undergraduate degree, which luckily comes with NHS funding.

I would think that you focusing on finishing your current degree with as high a grade as possible would be optimal. Just think of it as though you're already starting anew, with the goal of reaching decent grades for your degree, with plenty more time ahead of you to completely smash your next degree.

If you're already willing to take up another degree, then some of your anxiety (at least about your current degree) should already have disappeared. But, hell, why not have 2 degrees instead of 1? And if you have nothing to lose, why not do your best to achieve optimal results in your current degree?

If you manage your current degree well, and then really do well on your next, you'll be really quite employable, I believe, even though your first degree would not have been the best in terms of grades. So just do your absolute best, and know that if you don't manage this degree still, you'll still be able to do well on the next.
Original post by Origami Bullets
If I was an admissions tutor, I would be very worried about taking on a student who had not been able to complete their first degree after three years. It would make me wonder if they were actually going to manage to finish a fairly demanding S&LT degree at all.

I would suggest finishing your current degree and getting the best grade you can. You might get a 2:1, and if you don't, then at least a 2:2 will show that you did achieve, and that you have some staying power, even if your MH issues got in the way. You will then be able to go on and apply for an S&LT undergraduate degree, which luckily comes with NHS funding.

This is true and is what I'm worried about. I am intelligent and I do have the capacity for studying, it's just poor mental health and constant upheaval in the last few years has really taken it's toll. Like I said, I would make sure I'm capable before I start such a demanding degree, but it's whether that's believable considering my track record. My problems with my current degree started in first year and it's been hard keeping my head above water since then because I've felt like I got a bad start and it's difficult to make progress when you're constantly trying to catch up.
Original post by Caius Filimon G
I would think that you focusing on finishing your current degree with as high a grade as possible would be optimal. Just think of it as though you're already starting anew, with the goal of reaching decent grades for your degree, with plenty more time ahead of you to completely smash your next degree.

If you're already willing to take up another degree, then some of your anxiety (at least about your current degree) should already have disappeared. But, hell, why not have 2 degrees instead of 1? And if you have nothing to lose, why not do your best to achieve optimal results in your current degree?

If you manage your current degree well, and then really do well on your next, you'll be really quite employable, I believe, even though your first degree would not have been the best in terms of grades. So just do your absolute best, and know that if you don't manage this degree still, you'll still be able to do well on the next.

That's a really good way of looking at it and I'd be happy with that option provided I got on to third year at all. But I guess if I don't, I still have another option (if I managed to get onto this other degree).
How are you going to fund either a 2nd degree or a postgrad degree?
Original post by sydneybridge
How are you going to fund either a 2nd degree or a postgrad degree?

Health courses are an exception to the funding rule

If I were you I would take some time out and when better finish off your current degree and then go onto the postgrad SLT.
That's a really good way of looking at it and I'd be happy with that option provided I got on to third year at all. But I guess if I don't, I still have another option (if I managed to get onto this other degree).

Just try to appeal to your teachers saying that you've finally been able to get over some emotional trouble that's been plaguing you for a long while, and that you've a new-found determination to do well and finish the degree.

If you show eagerness, humility and just make them empathize with you, they'll feel as though they HAVE to give you a chance.
Original post by Caius Filimon G
Just try to appeal to your teachers saying that you've finally been able to get over some emotional trouble that's been plaguing you for a long while, and that you've a new-found determination to do well and finish the degree.

If you show eagerness, humility and just make them empathize with you, they'll feel as though they HAVE to give you a chance.

Thing is, I said that at the beginning of the year (I did think I was okay at the time) but then I had a dip and I'm still not doing well. There's no point in lying because they've given me so many chances and while I appreciate it so so much, I'm wasting them because I'm not well enough to do anything with it. I'm not doing the work because I can barely feed myself or shower, let alone research and write a 3000 word essay :\ I really wish I could complete this degree and if I could get on to third year I know I could scrape a 2:2 (which is fine) but I don't think i'm going to get onto third year with the amount of work I've submitted this year and I don't think I can get any more extensions. It's a mess and it's draining me and that's why I want some time off and then to start over and do a degree which will lead me into a career I really want.
Thing is, I said that at the beginning of the year (I did think I was okay at the time) but then I had a dip and I'm still not doing well. There's no point in lying because they've given me so many chances and while I appreciate it so so much, I'm wasting them because I'm not well enough to do anything with it. I'm not doing the work because I can barely feed myself or shower, let alone research and write a 3000 word essay :\ I really wish I could complete this degree and if I could get on to third year I know I could scrape a 2:2 (which is fine) but I don't think i'm going to get onto third year with the amount of work I've submitted this year and I don't think I can get any more extensions. It's a mess and it's draining me and that's why I want some time off and then to start over and do a degree which will lead me into a career I really want.

Ah, fair enough..

It's hard for me to understand how you're feeling, so I suppose I didn't take that into account well enough :/

Either way, try and talk to them nonetheless. Tell them that you want to finish your degree as it would help you immensely in your life, but that you have some serious issues to go through. Be as open as you can about it, and maybe ask them if you could lay low this year for a bit, try and relax and perhaps seek some ways to improve your being, and if successful, say that you'll do your utmost best next year.

I mean, honestly, I have to say, it would be a huge waste of time to not finish your current degree. You must fight tooth and nail to finish no matter what, otherwise it would just have been, in the eyes of an employer, COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. All those years. So, please, do your best to finish it! You must!

Likewise, bear in mind that I might have a different thinking pattern than to most =P It's not crucial for you to finish this one degree, but I personally believe that you have to push yourself over your limits, whatever they may be, to finish it.

Besides, you could then look back and know that even though you were in an extremely disadvantageous position, you still managed to push through it. It would make for a very nice thing to add in when looking for a job; I think employers enjoy stories of people who've managed to galvanize themselves and just push through morbid situations and be successful (at least to some degree), as it would pretty much make you a stable investment for the company as they know you'd still show up for work if your entire hometown would be wiped out by an asteroid one day =P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending