The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

am i the only one that started the test by doing section b? found that easier as i could always come back to the 10 and 15 mark questions
Original post by Praveen101
Its already around give or take 60/90 which is pathetically low, they cant reduce it anymore because then it would be ridiculous , how can an A be less than 65%

Haha that sounds great!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lizmoo0721
I sat the Unit 2 exam last year. I'm not doing it again but I don't think sustainability will come up in the rebranding sections - it's highly likely to ask a question about contrasting rural and urban rebranding in that section because they haven't asked that for a while - that's what I thought would come up last year.

Good Luck :smile:

okay thanks a lot, hope the paper will be easier than the one we sat today :/
Reply 103
Original post by kinkiro
did the second point but for the first point how would desert prevent development? I said that there will be more pressure on healthcare because of increased malaria and cholera ( from dependance on low quality water sources) and that would put pressure on government budget

i was getting at the land would be degraded due to drought but obviously the question said not agriculture so i just put development instead, looking back I wish i'd have thought of the pressure on healthcare point
who chose question 9 for section b?
Reply 105
Original post by beachelsea
who chose question 9 for section b?

meee :smile:
Original post by James9072
Found this paper quite nice, managed to finish with about 10-15 minutes left... one question I wasn't sure on was how farmers in south africa may adapt to changes in rainfall and increased temperature, just talked about genetically modified crops to counteract the increase in insects due to higher temperature, and that they might plant different crops

Changes in rainfall I wrote about using drip irrigation and changes in temperature, I wrote growing drought resistant crops? Idk if I'm right though.
Original post by beachelsea
okay thanks a lot, hope the paper will be easier than the one we sat today :/

I've seen a lot of people felt the paper went quite bad. I wouldn't worry, but focus on the next exam! :-) I thought the exam went awful last year but I actually done quite well, the grade boundaries are normally OK :smile:
Original post by Turbo1
Found it ok - could've got some more case study knowledge in etc. but I did Q7 talked about risk equation and vulnerability in the first part then in b - topography, altitude, precipitation, el nino etc.

Same! :colondollar: But I also put about tectonic plate movements triggering tsunamis which can cause severe flooding for B :smile:
Original post by Confused12345678
There was a lack of case study questions I thought like poland and Arctic and the Philippines and tncs and mega cities aka lots of it was common sense, I thought it was a weird paper, not awful though

Couldn't agree with this enough I felt the choice of questions was incredibly odd. Drought/Earthquakes/African Farming/Population and then there was that stupid question on the problems buying products locally for consumers and foreign - unfortunately I checked my Edexcel book afterwards and it did say something about in the winter they heat crops in greenhouses in the UK which produces fumes or something. I just put for consumers how there would be less variety of products to choose from.
no case study questions? are you all forgetting compulsory case studies? California and Africa? there were many questions on these two case studies
also for the economic impacts of global warming in Africa I spoke about desalination as it is something i have learnt in A2 this year. rainfall decreases even further, coastal areas turn to sea water, but have to go through the process of desalination to make it safe, which is expensive so damages their already fragile economy, does anyone think this would gain any marks?
Can anyone recall the 5 markers? I think there were 3.
am i the only one that said there was a decrease for the ages 0-5?
The question was two different host nations though???
Can someone please make an unofficial mark scheme, pleasee?
Original post by Imsad:(
am i the only one that said there was a decrease for the ages 0-5?

I'm afraid so! :s-smilie:
Original post by Jobob2011
The question was two different host nations though???

Yah so that would mean Spain which hosts british migrants and the UK which hosts a8 migrants like the polish
Original post by OL350
What did everyone put for question 10?

For 10a) I talked about the increase in Polish immigrants being due to post-accession migration and generally other pull factors like NHS and education system and more access due to open-door policies

for b) I talked about post-colonial migration as a positive to the UK and Uk>Spain migration as negative impacts
Original post by Sutty1
for the economic effects of global warming on Africa without referring to agriculture I did 2 points. 1) drought leads to desertification meaning the land isn't suitable to develop on e.g. in the sahel region and 2) global warming will cause rising sea levels - coastal areas in africa may suffer from flooding, which will damage buildings and infrastructure e.g. cape townanyone do anything similar? my teacher said it will get good marks

For that question I only had 3 points:

1) Increase in malaria has lead to a 1.3% decrease in some countries' economic growth rate.
2) Coral bleaching in Mozambique caused a 30% loss of corals which decreased their GDP by £12 - 18 million.
3) Increased flooding of low-lying coastal areas e.g. Benin leads to a decrease of 5% GDP due to costs of adapting to this.

I think that question was worth 5 marks though! I have noooo idea where the other 2 points were meant to come from...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending