The Student Room Group

SQA Higher Geography 2015

Might as well start this early.
Higher Geography exam on the 21st!
Discuss about Higher Geography here! (New or Old Higher)

Scroll to see replies

I really enjoy geography, however my case study for urban change in a developed city is awful (Dundee - my home city) We have been given a list of the problems but the reality is very little/nothing has been done to manage housing/transport so I would be quite concerned if that question came up for 6 marks. I'm still deliberating whether to learn a better case study i.e. Edinburgh or just stick to Dundee...
Reply 2
I'm doing the old higher as well. 13 days until the exam and I really need to focus on the subject. Have you got any tips for studying on it? Should I just do past papers? What are you both doing in the second paper? Oh and I'm doing the Edinburgh case study for urban change, I would recommend looking into it as its fairly simple! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by JP298
I'm doing the old higher as well. 13 days until the exam and I really need to focus on the subject. Have you got any tips for studying on it? Should I just do past papers? What are you both doing in the second paper? Oh and I'm doing the Edinburgh case study for urban change, I would recommend looking into it as its fairly simple! ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paper 2 I'm doing question 1 and 6 which is rural land resources, and population. I think past papers is the way to go after you have remembered the important stuff
Original post by MartinDUFC
I really enjoy geography, however my case study for urban change in a developed city is awful (Dundee - my home city) We have been given a list of the problems but the reality is very little/nothing has been done to manage housing/transport so I would be quite concerned if that question came up for 6 marks. I'm still deliberating whether to learn a better case study i.e. Edinburgh or just stick to Dundee...

We did Glasgow/clydeside and to be honest there is quite a lot of info about it
Reply 5
Original post by Larissa14
We did Glasgow/clydeside and to be honest there is quite a lot of info about it

I'm doing Glasgow for mine because its my hometown, quite a decent amount for CBD, inner city and suburbs. My technique for geography is just a bunch of mind maps, then past papers. Managed an A in the prelim so hopefully replicate that.
Reply 6
Its just really annoying that it has to be the day after maths, and I'm terrible at maths, so i'll barely have time to study for it.
Reply 7
Original post by calumh23
Its just really annoying that it has to be the day after maths, and I'm terrible at maths, so i'll barely have time to study for it.

Yeah that is quite annoying, I suppose maths and geography are two of my strongest subjects but it is still a pain. Comp and physics were the day after each other but that wasn't so bad as comp was a skoosh.
Reply 8
By the way looking at past paper answers and remembering the key points is quite a good technique (worked for me)
However also remember case studies and the random diagram that you may need to draw :3
But yeah Geography right after maths is going to be a pain, probably have to split study hours between both of them after I finish my Biology exam :biggrin:
Reply 9
What really helps me is doing spider diagrams, say one for Malaria, then one for Shanty towns, then once you have done one for every topic, just power through past papers.
What sort of stuff do people think might come up?
Reply 11
Original post by R__Elliott
What sort of stuff do people think might come up?

I would be prepared for a 20 marker on coasts/or coasts map reading skills and questions on migration. Other questions will be the usual eg hydrographs atmosphere biosphere glacial features and dev and health etc.
Original post by muchensmile
I would be prepared for a 20 marker on coasts/or coasts map reading skills and questions on migration. Other questions will be the usual eg hydrographs atmosphere biosphere glacial features and dev and health etc.

Are you doing new or old Higher?
Reply 13
Afternoon Everyone, I was thinking that it might help us all if we start to share some notes of the Units that we've studied. I'm halfway though my atmosphere notes and I will post in PDF format as soon as I'm done. I see people have said they've made mindmaps etc. I think it would be great benefit to us all to see the different formats of revision which could help get us up another grade boundary on the 21st. I am currently just starting an intensive revision regime for Geography so I should have all my notes for the first 8 units up of the old higher by Tuesday/Monday! XD
Reply 14
Ok, i'll kick things off. I have attached my Atmosphere Revision Notes
Reply 15
Original post by JP298
Ok, i'll kick things off. I have attached my Atmosphere Revision Notes

Hi, good job on the notes:biggrin:
Once I'm done with my biology exam Ill post up some mind maps too:biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by R__Elliott
Are you doing new or old Higher?

Old Higher sorry I didn't make it very clear :tongue:
Reply 17