The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TTWNGCBC
And what did everyone put for the question on environmentally friendly products (except buying locally)?

I talked about biodegradable packaging, recyclable and reusable packaging and using renewable biofuels where energy is neccessary
In question 8b what did you guys (those who chose 8) use for evidence?
Original post by niamhcat69
For 10a) I talked about the increase in Polish immigrants being due to post-accession migration and generally other pull factors like NHS and education system and more access due to open-door policies

for b) I talked about post-colonial migration as a positive to the UK and Uk>Spain migration as negative impacts

Ah for b I wrote positives and negatives of both, was it supposed to just be one positive case study and one negative case study? :/ I just thought I should write as much as I could remember hah
For number 10 on section B part two, did there have to be a link with the UK? I did Southern Asian migration
Reply 124
That weren't a bad paper
I messed up on causes of natural climate change and the last question
Hopefully a good C
My unit 2 needs to bring my grade up
Original post by Imsad:(
am i the only one that said there was a decrease for the ages 0-5?

both were increases, it sucked because every other part of that question referenced your original answer
Original post by Quinners7
I did 7, for a I said that the predictions show an increase in people living in urban areas, therefore more people are susceptible and its more likely its going to be disaster. Also, more people=urbanisation-leads to floods(reduced infiltration) and landslides (deforestation). Also said more people in sub-saharan which is drought prone-low capacity to cope-at risk to secondary effects. Also very briefly went back and added how more people living in Philippines which is a hazard hotspot.

For b, Physical factors include warm seas in tropics and Australia means flooding due to evaporation and condensation...Also, eustatic sea level rise in Tuvulu and Bangladesh causes flooding-caused by greenhouse effect melting ice caps (albedo effect) and thermal expansion. Also put isostatic like in New Orleans causing cities to be below rivers. Concluded by saying that theres no general trend in distribution like tropical storms, and that its hard to mitigate the effects of physical factors but we can prevent anthropogenic causes which exacerbating the problem like the enchanced greenhouse effect.

Oh my god for 7a I wrote all about the risk equation and stuff:confused: There was me previously thinking I did ok, haha
I wrote about how young migrants come over to the UK for jobs and then end up settling down and starting families over here hence the increased number of children!
Original post by 2cool4scool
Ah for b I wrote positives and negatives of both, was it supposed to just be one positive case study and one negative case study? :/ I just thought I should write as much as I could remember hah

No I think doing positive and negatives of both is wise as it contrasting the impacts not the countries. At the end I had time so I stuck in a similarity.. Do you think they will credit that? they do sometimes have those sort of odd requirements for level 4 (13-15)
Original post by beachelsea
what were the reasons for there being more 0-5 year olds?

I wrote about economic immigrants coming over here and then starting families in the UK hence the increased number of children! might be wrong though
Original post by lizmoo0721
Last year you needed 80/120 UMS for an A :smile:

UMS is adjusted from the raw mark so that every year the same UMS = the same grade.

UMS is also adjusted such that 80% is an A, which means 96/120 UMS is an A not 80, and 160/200 UMS is an A across the whole of the Geography AS.
Original post by TypicalAsian
Do you guys the grade boundaries for this exam will be fairly high

Posted from TSR Mobile

As for the grade boundaries last year they were unusually low 60 / 90 for an A. On the few papers before it an A was constant at 64 / 90. A lot of people here are saying that it was hard but I'm not sure if it's any more than normal, my guess is it will be somewhere between the two.
Original post by YasG1441
I wrote about economic immigrants coming over here and then starting families in the UK hence the increased number of children! might be wrong though

That will be right, could it be about how the economy has improved so more people can afford to have children?
Original post by DannyG1
That will be right, could it be about how the economy has improved so more people can afford to have children?

Yes that would be a correct answer as i discussed it with my teacher afterwards as it is possible that after coming out of a recession in the UK in 2001 more people can now afford to have children!
Original post by Glider
Yh I was disappointed about the lack of TNCs in the paper.
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like? What question did you answer in section b?

I think I did alright; I answered question 9 about wrote about sharing information, removal of trade tariffs and that. Fingers crossed
Original post by JamesFAD
As for the grade boundaries last year they were unusually low 60 / 90 for an A. On the few papers before it an A was constant at 64 / 90. A lot of people here are saying that it was hard but I'm not sure if it's any more than normal, my guess is it will be somewhere between the two.

We calculated the average of this ears grade boundary: it should be somewhere between 62
Original post by sxxxxt
Damn. Did it say without agriculture?!

Could have sworn it didn't say without... it was just Global warming's economic impact on Africa?
Original post by TTWNGCBC
For that question I only had 3 points:

1) Increase in malaria has lead to a 1.3% decrease in some countries' economic growth rate.
2) Coral bleaching in Mozambique caused a 30% loss of corals which decreased their GDP by £12 - 18 million.
3) Increased flooding of low-lying coastal areas e.g. Benin leads to a decrease of 5% GDP due to costs of adapting to this.

I think that question was worth 5 marks though! I have noooo idea where the other 2 points were meant to come from...

I made a guess and added something about the Lesotho Highlands Water Project and how they would not be able to sell as much water onto richer places like Johannesburg or create as much income from generating electricity but idrk and I can't think of much else
Reply 138
Original post by HannahMFO
Could have sworn it didn't say without... it was just Global warming's economic impact on Africa?

Exactly what I thought!
General feeling on here is that all went well? I'm so relieved! It wasn't exactly a hard exam paper. NO MORE UNIT 1 GUYS!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending