The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography unit 1 12th May

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the paper? i'm really worried the boundaries will be high because for rivers and glaciers you actually didn't need any knowledge of case studies?

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I did Rivers, Coasts, Population and Health. I know the Rivers questions were so easy! Especially the 15 mark question about the changes downstream! It seemed like some of the questions have already been used in other papers... I didn't use any case studies for rivers but for coasts I used 2 so it sort of balances out for Physical?

Population was easy too, the first question were just re drawing the DTM.

I do think the boundaries will b really high this year too though, just seemed much easier than last years.

How do you think you did? :smile:
Original post by Shannon56
Hey,

I did Rivers, Coasts, Population and Health. I know the Rivers questions were so easy! Especially the 15 mark question about the changes downstream! It seemed like some of the questions have already been used in other papers... I didn't use any case studies for rivers but for coasts I used 2 so it sort of balances out for Physical?

Population was easy too, the first question were just re drawing the DTM.

I do think the boundaries will b really high this year too though, just seemed much easier than last years.

How do you think you did? :smile:

yeah i didnt do the same optional topics as you, i did glaciers and energy but i was really happy about rivers and i know what you mean i swear ive done so many practice questions on changing channel characteristics, i was also pleasantly surprised when the first page of the population topic was just on the dtm because they were all easy marks but i have a feeling unit 2 is going to be on rivers as it was easier than population?
Reply 3
Was I the only one who didn't like it...... :/
I did glaciers and energy too, I hated the 15 marker for glaciers! I spent time yesterday revising fluvioglacial landforms, but not periglacial - and we've never really been taught them! I ended up kinda waffling about them, and also on the TNC 15 marker as I couldn't think of an example

Almost accidently lost marks on the DTM question stupidly xD I read the question as ''Draw 2 vertical lines on stage 5 of the DTM'' not figure 5, but luckily I noticed and changed it at the last second

Kinda really disappointed... I much preferred last years paper.. and I spent ages looking at case studies to not really use them!
Is urbanisation and rainfall ok for causes of coastal flooding
Original post by Serena_lantey

Yes. I did rainfall and storm surges using the Hurricane Katrina case study.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Yes. I did rainfall and storm surges using the Hurricane Katrina case study.

Could I get away with saying Somerset ?
Original post by Ambera
I did glaciers and energy too, I hated the 15 marker for glaciers! I spent time yesterday revising fluvioglacial landforms, but not periglacial - and we've never really been taught them! I ended up kinda waffling about them, and also on the TNC 15 marker as I couldn't think of an example

Almost accidently lost marks on the DTM question stupidly xD I read the question as ''Draw 2 vertical lines on stage 5 of the DTM'' not figure 5, but luckily I noticed and changed it at the last second

Kinda really disappointed... I much preferred last years paper.. and I spent ages looking at case studies to not really use them!

most of my friends hated it, they ended up skipping the first 2 questions on rivers about drainage basin and its outputs, i thought it was sneaky that they asked us for NO case studies in any part of rivers or glaciers and its really annoying that i spent so long revising figures because i always get caught out on that sort of thing:/
i completely waffled on the tnc one, i talked about exxonmobil but had no idea what we were supposed to say? i mean of course they play a role in distribution but ive never thought about the extent that they do?? really hated that question, i dont know if its just me but i thought it was a bit sly to put that in -_-
Original post by Ambera

I did struggle with the TNC question but I used the case study of Malawi in mine for the tobacco industry. Loved the Rivers/Coatal and population parts!

Oh no, what do you mean for the two vertical lines, I may have done it wrong? I drew an arrow down for BR and an arrow down for DR?

I wrote about the isotactic and Eustostc changes in sea level being the causes of Coastal flooding :/
I wrote about the isotactic and Eustostc changes in sea level being the causes of Coastal flooding :/

How many marks for the case study part of the question I wrote Somerset is that ok
How many marks for the case study part of the question I wrote Somerset is that ok

Im pretty sure it was only 4 or 6. It wasn't a huge marker. I have no idea, I don't do that case study - un sure if my answer is right now :/
Im pretty sure it was only 4 or 6. It wasn't a huge marker. I have no idea, I don't do that case study - un sure if my answer is right now :/

Don't be it will be fine what will the raw marks for a C and B be in this and paper 2
I enjoyed today's paper if I'm honest, it was much better than some of the past papers I've looked over from the last few years. How does everyone feel about it?
Don't be it will be fine what will the raw marks for a C and B be in this and paper 2

Last year the raw marks were:

49=D
55=C
62=B
69=A

But this years seemed a lot easier...
Original post by jordcook
I enjoyed today's paper if I'm honest, it was much better than some of the past papers I've looked over from the last few years. How does everyone feel about it?

I know, I thought it was so much better than last years. the river section, I'm pretty sure I had done a similar 15 marker before somewhere..
I know, I thought it was so much better than last years. the river section, I'm pretty sure I had done a similar 15 marker before somewhere..

Yea. I did that 15 marker before in a past (well a very similar one) and got 15/15. But I don't think I got that with this one lol
Original post by Peppercrunch
Yea. I did that 15 marker before in a past (well a very similar one) and got 15/15. But I don't think I got that with this one lol

I've had a question before about how the landforms change downstream but this one was quite similar to that, about how the profiles changed so it was a decent question if I'm honest.
Original post by jordcook
I've had a question before about how the landforms change downstream but this one was quite similar to that, about how the profiles changed so it was a decent question if I'm honest.

Oh yeah. That was the question I was talking about. Did you talk about the prominence of lateral erosion in the middle and lower course resulting in a flatter, wider cross profile and a shallower long profile?

Also, the prominence of headward and vertical erosion for the upper course creating a steep long profile and a steep, relatively thin cross profile.
i found the paper a little easier than previous past papers but most of my friends found it hard, especially the popuolation and energy 15 markers. the grade boundaries will probably be similar to last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending