The Student Room Group

Messed up in AS Levels, is a comeback this big possible?

Scroll to see replies

Thanks!

The risk with adjustment is that your course at your favoured uni might not be there. In which case, you may wish to do a gap year application with your completed A2 grades.

However, there were a good number of competitve courses available in adjustment this year, and by allowing universities to take on as many ABB candidates as they want from 2015, it is likely there will be even more spaces/courses/unis in adjustment next year.

Good luck!
Reply 21
Original post by Pro Crastination
Thanks!

The risk with adjustment is that your course at your favoured uni might not be there. In which case, you may wish to do a gap year application with your completed A2 grades.

However, there were a good number of competitve courses available in adjustment this year, and by allowing universities to take on as many ABB candidates as they want from 2015, it is likely there will be even more spaces/courses/unis in adjustment next year.

Good luck!

Ohh okay, even if I don't get into Imperial, I guess Bristol is more realistic (AAA) :smile:

Isn't taking a gap year a bad thing though? :s
Original post by Leechayy
That's fine. Honesty is the best policy :tongue:
I'll give it a go, besides, Nottingham ask for ABB so I have a fair backup there

So basically, don't apply to university next year if the choices above are the ones I want to apply to? :confused:

Yeah, but only if you're absolutely positive you can get the necessary grades to get in. When you get you're Overall results if they're close enough to the requirement try them through clearing. If you get refused then bear in mind they only consider you once I think.

Edit: just make sure you actually submit to UCAS, otherwise you can't go through clearing or adjustment.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 9 years ago)
Ohh okay, even if I don't get into Imperial, I guess Bristol is more realistic (AAA) :smile:

Isn't taking a gap year a bad thing though? :s

A gap year to retake will go against an application, a gap year because you realised you could go to a better university if you waited a year surely wouldn't - considering the fact that most universities are fine with 'deferred' entry.
A gap year to retake will go against an application, a gap year because you realised you could go to a better university if you waited a year surely wouldn't - considering the fact that most universities are fine with 'deferred' entry.

This^
They wont mind because youre not retaking, you're just waiting until youve got your overall grades before you applyy.
If they ask too many questions then just say you needed to work to save up money for Uni/ or to get relevant work experience.

my first year:
chemistry: E
biology: D
history: C
media: C

my second year (re-do):
english language: A (would be an A in A2)
history (a2): B
philosophy and ethics: A (would be almost an A star in A2)
politics: B (would turn into an A in A2)

crazy things can happen - just change courses, perhaps
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
I got CDE in maths geog and psychology for AS and I'm shocked and sad and have no idea what to do. I loved geog. It was my life and I found our I was 1 mark off an c overall. I'm gonna remark that and resit that since I got an A in unit 2. Also I want to resit the whole psychology. Mate C2 in maths so I would have 3/4 exams to work on Aswell as the 7 for A2. Please any advise. No university will offer me what so ever. I am thinking for resitting the year but I am apprehensive of that. I know all the stuff but it's my exam technique. My literary skills let me down. Also it is weird that in practise essay questions I get A/Bs I geog. I don't understand. I really don't. I was hoping for ABB. Not CC/DE!! I'm so sad. What do u guys think? Resit the 3 exams (C2 maths won't take as much effort as the essay exams) please!

Also, when applying for universities and have BBC/BBB predicted for A2 and i am resitting the bad units do universities see them bad grades i got and not know that i am resitting them. For Geography i may be able to persuade my teacher that i can get an A. Would unis only look at predictions or look at AS.
Guys I had BBCC at AS, I'm aiming for a good Law school like Exeter but I need AAA-AAB. My problem is that I want to retake:
Maths C1
Maths C2
Maths C3
Economics 1
Economics 2
English 1
History 1

Do you think it's possible to get A's in them when I resit in June next year? Plus I'm just going to drop Maths at A2.

That'll leave me with 11 exams next year including A2.

Those rubbish AS levels has really made me want to do better. I know that those grades weren't my potential as at GCSE I achieved 4A*s 6As. I'm quite down right now..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28

Original post by All-rounder
Yeah, but only if you're absolutely positive you can get the necessary grades to get in. When you get you're Overall results if they're close enough to the requirement try them through clearing. If you get refused then bear in mind they only consider you once I think.

Edit: just make sure you actually submit to UCAS, otherwise you can't go through clearing or adjustment.

Okay, so if I was to wait until September 2015 to apply to uni then what do I do UCAS wise this academic year? :confused:
I received my AS results on Thursday and was extremely unhappy with them. Having worked out my marks from my Ums and the grade boundaries online, I came to the conclusion that not completing any of my papers, due to timings difficulties had an enormous impact on my marks and therefore grade. I am doing English Literature, History and Government and Politics. I got CCB and was wondering whether I should retake my AS year completely or retake some my AS exams in A2. I wished to study Law at university and I feel with these grades I won't be able to meet the grades that most university want.

I really need advice on what to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay, so if I was to wait until September 2015 to apply to uni then what do I do UCAS wise this academic year? :confused:

You still go through the UCAS process this year I'd suggest, but don't apply to a Uni you seriously consider going to because you wont have your A2 grades yet, they'll see you AS's and refuse you.So, Still do the normal UCAS process but dont apply to any Uni's and wait until you get your results before you either go through clearing if your Uni's have spots. If not, you can wait it out until the next academic year to apply to a Uni where you already have the required grades to get in.
Reply 31
Update months into the future: :biggrin:

It really is a huge workload, but I'm showing promise! I'm actually really lucky that I do Math's, Further Maths, Physics and Economics as working for the A2's for that subject use virtually all techniques from AS so I am revising AS without actually spending extra time on it :smile:
Right now I just need a strong plan and I "might" be able to pull it off :P

The ironic part of the UCAS issue was that I would've been able to put all my subjects as pending on the UCAS form and apply to uni this year but I guess taking a gap year will give me the opportunity to save up money as the time comes.

Thanks for all your help, I was in such a bad slump when I got these grades but I believe I can do the best I can! :biggrin:
Reply 32
2nd Update:

Its one day until my onslaught of exams begin. I have 5 in this month and 16 others in June...:redface:

The May exams I'm ready for as they're mainly re-sits. The pressure right now that I feel is crazy. I don't know if I can pull this off:dontknow:
I've been testing myself based on normal times so with the extra time, I should be fine for now!:tongue:

Best of luck to everyone else starting exams!:top:

Imho, if I were to place last-ditch efforts prioritising maths, Further Maths and physics I think I can pull it off and get a B in economics but at this point it's hard to say... Tell me what you guys think.

Anyway, I'm getting some shut-eye for tomorrow's exam, ciao!:awesome:
Posted from TSR Mobile
2nd Update:

Its one day until my onslaught of exams begin. I have 5 in this month and 16 others in June...:redface:

The May exams I'm ready for as they're mainly re-sits. The pressure right now that I feel is crazy. I don't know if I can pull this off:dontknow:
I've been testing myself based on normal times so with the extra time, I should be fine for now!:tongue:

Best of luck to everyone else starting exams!:top:

Imho, if I were to place last-ditch efforts prioritising maths, Further Maths and physics I think I can pull it off and get a B in economics but at this point it's hard to say... Tell me what you guys think.

Anyway, I'm getting some shut-eye for tomorrow's exam, ciao!:awesome:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with the exams!

You got this man.
Reply 34
Original post by Kash24411

You got this man.

Thanks just had my 1st exam this morning!
It was a nice paper but weird as it wasn't set out in its usual format:colonhash:
It's a good start compared to what's yet to come:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck. I hope your exams go well.
Reply 36
Original post by Kash24411

You got this man.

Original post by janeyjaney
Good luck. I hope your exams go well.

Thanksss:h:
Reply 37
Update number 3:

I have survived my first wave of exams consisting of resits and FP1 and at this moment, everything is going according to plan! I've completed 5 out of the 21 I have and I am free until next term where I face the 2nd onslaught of tests (the 1st of which including a triple-clash):mmm:
I'm not going to lie, it has gotten to my head a bit but its nice to feel a bit more at ease :redface:
I hope everyone else's exams are going well at the moment too!:thumbsup:
I'm going to use today and tomorrow to bank up sleeping hours then completely dedicate myself to cramming, especially Physics. :smug:

But yeah, things are looking up at the moment!!!:awesome::awesome::awesome:
Reply 38
Fourth Update:

Okay, this was the moment where things start taking a turn. I've had 6 exams this week from Wednesday to Friday. The first day having 3 exams in one day (C2, FP3 and D2).

C2 went perfectly fine, it was a nice resit.

FP3 was and will be by far the hardest exam I'll ever have this season I probably have done badly on it. But taking two extra modules allows me to accept this error without it affecting my grade.

D2 was a nice paper but I didn't get to finish the last question. I learnt that I couldn't completely rely on my extra time. :colonhash:

The second day was Physics, the resit was harder than expected but things went okay:redface:

And yesterday went swimmingly, it was like OCR was making up for Wednesday's onslaught:mmm:
I had S2 and D1 then + I'm hoping that D1 makes up for what happened in D2.

Things are looking up but the brunt of my exams are still to come even with the hardest out of the way. Intensive surely isn't a joke:colondollar:
This week on the whole has gone well, and I've finished half of my exams, 10 more to go!:smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
I had finally finished my exams.
All 21 of them :colonhash:
I survived the onslaught of OCR:mmm:

I cannot believe I actually managed to do them all!
Looking back:
I had only performed badly on two maths exams which won't count towards your final grade

Only 4 others have boundary-blurring results (like, the marks are touching A/B boundary)

End result for predicting grades at a harsh level ranges from ABBB --> A*A*AA

But everything else went wonderfully, even Economics went better than expected even though I prioritised the other three

I'm feeling good about results day. I've worked so hard for this and even if it doesn't go well its truly been an experience.
Extra time has saved me so many times, its crazy how helpful it is!

I want to thank everybody on this thread that gave me advice during a time where I truly felt that I was at my lowest.
Now I'm going to take my well deserved rest and

Fingers crossed for results day :biggrin:
Leechayy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending