The Student Room Group

C1 Differentiation

Hi, how do I do question 8iii?

http://i.imgur.com/iomYmdR.png

I differentiated the equation to 9x^2 - 2x^-2 - 7 = 0

Then I used the logic that x = 0 and y = -7, yet the mark scheme said that the answer was y = -2.

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peppercrunch
Hi, how do I do question 8iii?

I differentiated the equation to 9x^2 - 2x^-2 - 7 = 0

Then I used the logic that x = 0 and y = -7, yet the mark scheme said that the answer was y = -2.

Thank you.

We can't see the question, can you post an image/link?
Question:
Question:

You cannot substitute x = 0 into the differential to find the y value, it is true that x = 0 at Q but you need to find the equation of the tangent.
Original post by lizard54142
You cannot substitute x = 0 into the differential to find the y value, it is true that x = 0 at Q but you need to find the equation of the tangent.

How would I find the equation of the tangent?
Reply 5
How would I find the equation of the tangent?

Sub x=1 into the original equation of the curve. As the tangent at the stationary point will have a gradient of 0, it will just be a line, and so the value when the tangent crosses the x axis will be whatever you get when you sub x=1 into the original equation of the curve.
Original post by aoxa
Sub x=1 into the original equation of the curve. As the tangent at the stationary point will have a gradient of 0, it will just be a line, and so the value when the tangent crosses the x axis will be whatever you get when you sub x=1 into the original equation of the curve.

Oh, thank you. Didn't think it would be that easy.
Reply 7
Oh, thank you. Didn't think it would be that easy.

You're welcome - if you're not sure how hard it should be, just look at the number of marks, if you're doing loads of working for a 1/2 mark question, you're probably missing something obvious :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest