The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography Unit 1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Patrick2810
We need to pay, can you use a upload website? www.uppit.com ?

Original post by Abbas10
Can you put them on Mediafire? or even pastebin!

http://uppit.com/s1iudl6k6kkx/AS_Level_Unit_2_Geography_revision_notes_2.docx
Yes this would be soo helpful please!
Reply 323
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS AS TO HOW MNAY MARKS YOU THINK I WOULD GET

I said farmers can adapt to rainfall by planting trees so more interception so more time taken to reach the valleys etc slows down process and reduces impacts of flooding

Also for rising temps i said an increase of crop growing insects where the farmer can change grops and grow diffrent types of crops that cannot be affected by rising temperature

Would i get 0 1 2 3 or 4 marks here out of 4

Also for short term cc i wrote sunspots and milankovitch cycles the 41000 year one for the tilt(axis) and finally the rainfall one i said that the rejecting view is that the general increase of late is increasing so no change there how mnay out of 2 for that thank you
Original post by alunthomass
yeah for 10) A) i combined indian and pakistani people and talked about how their pressured into marrying women/men from pakistan, who then move to the uk. I also talked about poland, which is pretty simple. Also for nigeria i mentioned that some may be assylum seekers, it was pretty irrelevant but idcc.

For B i used the same examples, spain and poland. I didn't really understand the question tho, what were they asking?

I think it may have been the implications of international migration for host countries? I would have said Poland was more of a source
For the question on farmers adapting strategies...

For increased rainfall i put they should change when in the year they grow and harvest their crops as rainy seasons may come earlier/later so should do this to avoid water logging and damaging their crop yield???

For increased temperature I said move to an area with a more tolerable climate for their crops as higher temps can cause desertification in the Sahel which is unsuitable for growing many crops???

lol i think i screwed that question up tbh
Original post by econam
I think it may have been the implications of international migration for host countries? I would have said Poland was more of a source

Yeah but implications can be such as more anger from locals to the polish, for taking jobs and so on. Also doesn't help the uk economy to grow since most money is remitted back to poland rather than spending it on the local economy and so on..
40% and I'm doing the same as you
Reply 328
Anyone?
Original post by Ambsey
I feel like it was harder than previous ones. Most people after the exam said they found it easier so *shrugs*

I thought it was harder than all the past papers
Original post by K3lvin
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS AS TO HOW MNAY MARKS YOU THINK I WOULD GET

I said farmers can adapt to rainfall by planting trees so more interception so more time taken to reach the valleys etc slows down process and reduces impacts of flooding

Also for rising temps i said an increase of crop growing insects where the farmer can change grops and grow diffrent types of crops that cannot be affected by rising temperature

Would i get 0 1 2 3 or 4 marks here out of 4

Also for short term cc i wrote sunspots and milankovitch cycles the 41000 year one for the tilt(axis) and finally the rainfall one i said that the rejecting view is that the general increase of late is increasing so no change there how mnay out of 2 for that thank you

Well for short term climate change the general opinion is that it was looking for volcanic eruptions and sunspots or meteor activity. Milankovich cycles are very LONG TERM but you'd probably get the sunspots mark :smile:
Does anyone remember what the questions were all on roughly?
Original post by -sophia-
For the question on farmers adapting strategies...

For increased rainfall i put they should change when in the year they grow and harvest their crops as rainy seasons may come earlier/later so should do this to avoid water logging and damaging their crop yield???

For increased temperature I said move to an area with a more tolerable climate for their crops as higher temps can cause desertification in the Sahel which is unsuitable for growing many crops???

lol i think i screwed that question up tbh

I said rainwater collection systems, and the use of drought hardy crops for rain fluctuations
For temperatures i put crops that are resistant to high temperatures, GM crops etc, or grow in different seasons to avoid the high temperatures.

I think I got like 2 marks for this one haha
Reply 333
I thought the question about farmers adapting was simplier. But thinking about it now, I think I came up with some silly ideas.

For increased temperatures - Taking advantage of the increased temperatures by changing the sole income of crops, to one that relied on tourism/activities.
For increased rainfall - growing new plants or crops that flourish in the new climate.
Reply 334
For question 10a)

I wrote about: colonies where Indians came over to become assets to the NHS and Pakistanis came over to work in textile mills. I said this was made easier due to a shared language which also encouraged more to come over. This was in 2001, the groups have increased since 2001 because as many of these people retire, they are inviting their extended family over on a dependancy basis which means more people are coming into the UK from India and Pakistan. I then said NI had seen a decrease because reduced political unrest means people wanted to go back and resume their lives, as well as return to their immediate family (can someone tell me if this is valid? I could think of no other reasons, but it seemed almost impossible to ignore as it was the only one that had decreased) I then went on to say US had seen an increase due to elite unis such as Oxford and Cambridge. The shared cultures and languages made integration easier encouraging more and more people. How many marks do you think this would be out of 10?

Question 10b)

I wrote about: Poland to UK. Impacted the UK as helped their economy. 80% of those who came in 2004 were 34 or younger meaning they would be of a working age and have kids to deal with ageing population. I contrasted this with Spain who would have an influx of older people who seek retirement there. This will affect the demographic model. Many Polish people will however send much of their money home with around 2.6 bn sent home in 2006 compared to Spain where the ageing population will spend their grey £ there boosting the economy. I had a few more minor points. I then ended with the UK having many political issues such as the rise of parties such as UKIP who want an EU referendum due to the migration. This is the same in Spain, where many locals accuse British people of not intergating into the society and culture ect. (added a similiarty before contrasting this again) However, there are many positives from the Polish migration on the UK such as Catholic Church attendance increasing and an increased number of Polish shops in the Midlands as well as hybrid food and cultures. How many marks would this get?

I feel like I have screwed up in the short answers. Grade very much depends on the essays.
Original post by sxxxxt
For question 10a)

I wrote about: colonies where Indians came over to become assets to the NHS and Pakistanis came over to work in textile mills. I said this was made easier due to a shared language which also encouraged more to come over. This was in 2001, the groups have increased since 2001 because as many of these people retire, they are inviting their extended family over on a dependancy basis which means more people are coming into the UK from India and Pakistan. I then said NI had seen a decrease because reduced political unrest means people wanted to go back and resume their lives, as well as return to their immediate family (can someone tell me if this is valid? I could think of no other reasons, but it seemed almost impossible to ignore as it was the only one that had decreased) I then went on to say US had seen an increase due to elite unis such as Oxford and Cambridge. The shared cultures and languages made integration easier encouraging more and more people. How many marks do you think this would be out of 10?

Question 10b)

I wrote about: Poland to UK. Impacted the UK as helped their economy. 80% of those who came in 2004 were 34 or younger meaning they would be of a working age and have kids to deal with ageing population. I contrasted this with Spain who would have an influx of older people who seek retirement there. This will affect the demographic model. Many Polish people will however send much of their money home with around 2.6 bn sent home in 2006 compared to Spain where the ageing population will spend their grey £ there boosting the economy. I had a few more minor points. I then ended with the UK having many political issues such as the rise of parties such as UKIP who want an EU referendum due to the migration. This is the same in Spain, where many locals accuse British people of not intergating into the society and culture ect. (added a similiarty before contrasting this again) However, there are many positives from the Polish migration on the UK such as Catholic Church attendance increasing and an increased number of Polish shops in the Midlands as well as hybrid food and cultures. How many marks would this get?

I feel like I have screwed up in the short answers. Grade very much depends on the essays.

hii!! for the 15 marker did you do positive and negatives of poland to uk migration, and also positive and negative of uk to spain migration? or did you just do the polish to uk migration overall as a positive and uk to spain as a negative??

thank you
katie xxx
Reply 336
Original post by KatieTyrrell
hii!! for the 15 marker did you do positive and negatives of poland to uk migration, and also positive and negative of uk to spain migration? or did you just do the polish to uk migration overall as a positive and uk to spain as a negative??

thank you
katie xxx

I did not seperate it like that as the question simply asked for contrasting factors so I do not think it mattered if one was positive and one was negative. I was careful to stick to the question.
Original post by charlottebagshaw
Yey another one! do you know how to structure a response for any of the questions ? x

wait was that sarcastic?
Reply 338
Only low grade boundaries can save us now haha
Reply 339
There was a fire alarm half way through our exam :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending