The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
Am I missing something about this 'folder' that everyone is talking about? What is it?

I have to upload two pieces of evidence with explanation for each teaching standard online. Is it a paper version of that, essentially?

We have a professional practice folder containing all of the information that we gather about our placements and then our PDRs which is our reflective diary.

At the end we merge these with any other evidence to become our portfolio of evidence which we submit in the last week so they can assess whether we should be put forward for QTS.

It is hell.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
We have a professional practice folder containing all of the information that we gather about our placements and then our PDRs which is our reflective diary.

At the end we merge these with any other evidence to become our portfolio of evidence which we submit in the last week so they can assess whether we should be put forward for QTS.

It is hell.

Ahh, I think that is the thing that we do online. We have to upload all our evidence online and we do the reflective diaries online every week. Plus subject knowledge is on that. I prefer the idea of it being online, I have to say.
Online is good. Does you mentor have access to it? Just wondering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rustler
I may sound stupid but I am a bit confused about PGCE. I am now at my second placement and although at my first one I was getting 1/2 for my observations , at this school they have just given me a 3. I am really upset because I feel this will impact on my final level of PGCE and I wonder if anyone can tell me, is there different levels of PGCE or just pass/fail? Thank you.

I'm on a SDS course (with PGCE) and we definitely get an overall grade at the end. Our final assessment form/grade is also sent to our new employer. The grade is based on our final observation as well as previous observations/advice from our mentors. So, for example, if you're usually getting 1/2 in your observations but for some reason get a 3 in your final one, you can still qualify with a 1 or 2 overall. With the PGCE qualification we're graded as distinction (over 70%), merit (over 60%) or pass.
And thank goodness for that.

It's worth mentioning that you have to be good or better to pass.
Guys, how have you prepped for interviews? Obviously I'm prepared for my lesson but I mean the actual interview. Do you do anything to prep for that?

Original post by Grant2007
Online is good. Does you mentor have access to it? Just wondering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone at uni has access to it, and you can share it with your school mentor. I've never seen the need, but a lot of people do and some mentors want you to.
Original post by alabelle

What?! We don't! We just need a 3.
Guys, how have you prepped for interviews? Obviously I'm prepared for my lesson but I mean the actual interview. Do you do anything to prep for that?

Everyone at uni has access to it, and you can share it with your school mentor. I've never seen the need, but a lot of people do and some mentors want you to.

What?! We don't! We just need a 3.

Given that a 3 is now 'requires improvement' rather than 'satisfactory', we have been told we need to have a 1 or 2. I am currently a 3, and I will not pass if I continue with this grade.
Given that a 3 is now 'requires improvement' rather than 'satisfactory', we have been told we need to have a 1 or 2. I am currently a 3, and I will not pass if I continue with this grade.

Oh that seems really unfair that you would pass the course at my uni but not at yours even though you're getting the same grade :frown:
Oh that seems really unfair that you would pass the course at my uni but not at yours even though you're getting the same grade :frown:

Well at the moment I haven't demonstrated the standards yet so I wouldn't pass anyway :frown:
Am I missing something about this 'folder' that everyone is talking about? What is it?

I have to upload two pieces of evidence with explanation for each teaching standard online. Is it a paper version of that, essentially?

We have to submit a folder with a standards audit whereby we have evidence for each of the standards.
the folder includes our journal, 12 formal observations over the course of the two placements and a variety of other things.

At ours, we can be on minimum (we don't get number grades, just on track, minimum, good or high
Original post by Samus2
We have to submit a folder with a standards audit whereby we have evidence for each of the standards.
the folder includes our journal, 12 formal observations over the course of the two placements and a variety of other things.

At ours, we can be on minimum (we don't get number grades, just on track, minimum, good or high

Mine is similar to yours. Odd that so many unis use different systems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe this is why my uni didn't use Ofsted grades to grade trainees. Its very confusing!

We had to have a folder for each placement where we put class info, plans, assessments, reflections etc. We also had a professional development portfolio, which was a folder with all the other evidence documents like observations, records of attendance, reflective tasks, assignment results etc plus photocopies of relevant things from the placement folders like examples of good planning. This wasn't the source of our grade as such, that was mainly tutor and mentor joint judgement, but it was used as evidence, especially if we hadn't had much opportunity to show that standard in person to our current mentor and tutor. Of course that's not to say our didn't need to do it, but they were a bit flexible with it, and the further you went through the course the more they allowed you to develop your own systems, reflect appropriately for you, adapt plans etc

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grant2007
As a mentor i feel reflections are vital to learning and it is an important part of your training, so you show progression and understanding. Nobody expects students to be perfect but you are expected to be learning through your observations of others and experiences. Having said that reflections should not be long, but to the point and explain what you learnt about how to improve. For example...timings, behaviour, learning intentions and success criteria...and how you will address these issues.

An organised folder demonstrates that you are prepared, although it doesn't need to be overly neat as it should be a working document and could be a mixture of typed, hand written, post it notes etc. If it is electronic based then it should be printed easily. I would be raising a concern if my students could not show me these.

Planning sequences of lessons is good, for example literacy so the link can be seen. I would however expect to se them adapted through evaluations as you teach the lessons.

Please don't take this as any form of pressure as I am trying to help and explain their purpose. Don't give up. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I definitely do agree with the idea of preparation with folders being representative of being an organised individual.

It is essentially the main reason I question myself whether I'm suited towards teaching. While I may be extremely reflective about my practice and spend time thinking about what the students should be learning.

The sad truth is that I'm a rather disorganised individual through most of my life. I asked my mentor how I should respond if asked the question about organisation. I'd be lying if I called myself organised. The only thing I can do here is work towards becoming more organised.
Mine is similar to yours. Odd that so many unis use different systems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's weird isn't it and not very fair at all. The one thing we all have in common though, it's a hard slog!
Original post by Tombola
No I definitely do agree with the idea of preparation with folders being representative of being an organised individual.

It is essentially the main reason I question myself whether I'm suited towards teaching. While I may be extremely reflective about my practice and spend time thinking about what the students should be learning.

The sad truth is that I'm a rather disorganised individual through most of my life. I asked my mentor how I should respond if asked the question about organisation. I'd be lying if I called myself organised. The only thing I can do here is work towards becoming more organised.

I respectfully disagree. You should see my desk, the drawers in my desk and the inside of the cupboard in my classroom. Then you should look inside my teacher planner. I'll let your imagination run wild with the images of disorganization :tongue: Oh, and my NQT folder? PAHA.

That and my teaching practice are two separate things.
Original post by Tombola

Original post by rachel.h
I respectfully disagree. You should see my desk, the drawers in my desk and the inside of the cupboard in my classroom. Then you should look inside my teacher planner. I'll let your imagination run wild with the images of disorganization :tongue: Oh, and my NQT folder? PAHA.

That and my teaching practice are two separate things.

I'm with Rachel on this one. In my home life I am incredibly organised. My planning is exceedingly organised. My QTS file was described as 'exceptional' last year.

My desk looks like a bomb hit it, my drawers at school are a nightmare, my class know I lose everything the moment I put it down... I still teach well. What I would say is that I failed to organise well enough initially when I moved into my classroom, and that has allowed things to get out of hand. I'm staying in the same room next year and plan to put some additional systems in place over the summer to try and solve all the issues I've experienced over this year. I think until you're doing the job full time it's hard to know what you need in your room. You definitely continue to learn A LOT in your NQT year.
Original post by Tombola

I started off really badly organised. It's something I've got into trouble for my whole life really in some way or another. But I managed to get myself in order for plavement 2 and now I get compliments from my mentor about how organised I am. It can be done :smile:
I think there are different types of organisation/disorganisation.

One type is being mentally organised, having good time-management, knowing what you have to do and prioritising to get it done.

The other is the physical stuff, tidiness, filing. Ideally you'd have both but I reckon the first is essential and the second is optional (so long as you don't lose pupils' assessments, etc.!)

My HoD (who is very neat and tidy) was talking to me about this, and I commented that she must think I'm ever so disorganised. But her response was that my brain clearly works and I'm "one of those very clever people who is also very messy".

It's true - I always plan ahead, know key dates and deadlines and work towards them. I have ideas to get things sorted so deadlines don't take us by surprise and to make things more efficient. I'm just messy.
Ughhhhh these interviews are a reason alone not to go into teaching. I don't think I can handle many more of these! I have one today and I am sick of the nerves I get. I could be sick and I'm shaking. It ruins my interview performance :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TraineeLynsey
I'm with Rachel on this one. In my home life I am incredibly organised. My planning is exceedingly organised. My QTS file was described as 'exceptional' last year.

My desk looks like a bomb hit it, my drawers at school are a nightmare, my class know I lose everything the moment I put it down... I still teach well. What I would say is that I failed to organise well enough initially when I moved into my classroom, and that has allowed things to get out of hand. I'm staying in the same room next year and plan to put some additional systems in place over the summer to try and solve all the issues I've experienced over this year. I think until you're doing the job full time it's hard to know what you need in your room. You definitely continue to learn A LOT in your NQT year.

What things are a must have for your own classroom?

I'm moving into mine in July and I'm stumped on what I should have!

Quick Reply

Latest