The Student Room Group

C1 Integration

Okay so I did the 2014 C1 paper about an hour ago and I realised I have absolutely no clue on how to do integration and finding the area under a curve :eek3: would anyone be able to give me the run down? I've attached the question I struggled on, I think its all just knowing where to start, it really got me stumped :s-smilie: thank you very much :biggrin:
q6.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bethanygriffin
Okay so I did the 2014 C1 paper about an hour ago and I realised I have absolutely no clue on how to do integration and finding the area under a curve :eek3: would anyone be able to give me the run down? I've attached the question I struggled on, I think its all just knowing where to start, it really got me stumped :s-smilie: thank you very much :biggrin:
q6.jpg

What did you try? :smile:
If you explain what you did, we might be able to point out where you went wrong - or was the whole question a bit of a mess? :redface:
to intergrate you just raise the power by one and then divide by the new power e.g. the intergrel of x^2 is x^3 divided by 3

and to find the area you just intergrate the equation and then sub in the limits, so for the question you posted the limits would be -2 and 3 (they're the point A and C). you sub in 3 into the intergtaed equation then sub -2 into the intergrated equation and subtract the two
Reply 3
Original post by chloemelissa1996
to intergrate you just raise the power by one and then divide by the new power e.g. the intergrel of x^2 is x^3 divided by 3

and to find the area you just intergrate the equation and then sub in the limits, so for the question you posted the limits would be -2 and 3 (they're the point A and C). you sub in 3 into the intergtaed equation then sub -2 into the intergrated equation and subtract the two

You might want to go back and re-read the question.

OP, I was actually doing that paper before - where did you go wrong/ which bits do you need help with?
Original post by aoxa
You might want to go back and re-read the question.

OP, I was actually doing that paper before - where did you go wrong/ which bits do you need help with?

why might i want to re-read the question, I know what to do and I know what its asking me.

I was using x^2 as an example not taking it from the question.

Trust me what I'm saying is correct
that is c2
Reply 6
why might i want to re-read the question, I know what to do and I know what its asking me.I was using x^2 as an example not taking it from the question.Trust me what I'm saying is correct

The bit in bold was why you may have wanted to re-read the question. The limits you put were wrong for the question, which is why I told you to re-read the question.

Original post by indignation
that is c2

No it's not. That is a C1 paper.
Original post by aoxa
The bit in bold was why you may have wanted to re-read the question. The limits you put were wrong for the question, which is why I told you to re-read the question.

No it's not. That is a C1 paper.

I'm pretty sure the limits are x=-2 and x=3 because when you factorise x^2-x-6 you get (x+2)(x-3)=0, hence x=-2 and x=3, which are the x co-ords of A and C and hence the limits
Original post by Neuth
What did you try? :smile:
If you explain what you did, we might be able to point out where you went wrong - or was the whole question a bit of a mess? :redface:

The whole question was a bit of a mess :unsure: , I think if I knew how to get the coordinates of A and C I'd be able to do it. I looked on the mark scheme to try and work out what to do but I have no clue where they got their numbers from:s-smilie:
The whole question was a bit of a mess :unsure: , I think if I knew how to get the coordinates of A and C I'd be able to do it. I looked on the mark scheme to try and work out what to do but I have no clue where they got their numbers from:s-smilie:

what do they say are the x co-ordinates for A and C?
Original post by indignation
that is c2

It's definitely C1 on AQA, maybe we're on different exam boards?:smile:
Reply 11
I'm pretty sure the limits are x=-2 and x=3 because when you factorise x^2-x-6 you get (x+2)(x-3)=0, hence x=-2 and x=3, which are the x co-ords of A and C and hence the limits

Your factorisation is correct. If you look at the question however, you're finding the shaded area R. This gives your limits to be 0 and -2 (pt c of the question does specify this 'find the area R bounded by the curve and the line segment AB' - where A is (-2,5) and B is (0,7)) Once you've found that area, you need to subtract the area below R (area of a trapezium) from the area, to leave you with area R.

The only thing you've done wrong is misread the question - make sure to double check every question before you answer them tomorrow!
what do they say are the x co-ordinates for A and C?

-2 and 3
Reply 13

Did you manage to get pt ai? Showing that the x-coordinates satisfy x^2 -x-6=0?
Original post by aoxa
Your factorisation is correct. If you look at the question however, you're finding the shaded area R. This gives your limits to be 0 and -2 (pt c of the question does specify this 'find the area R bounded by the curve and the line segment AB' - where A is (-2,5) and B is (0,7)) Once you've found that area, you need to subtract the area below R (area of a trapezium) from the area, to leave you with area R.

The only thing you've done wrong is misread the question - make sure to double check every question before you answer them tomorrow!

Oh my gosh thank you :biggrin:
Original post by aoxa

oh yes of course! thank you
Reply 16
Oh my gosh thank you :biggrin:

You're welcome? I'm not sure what I've done, but if the proverbial penny has dropped I'm glad :tongue:
Reply 17

You are correct (not sure what the issue is here :giggle:).

To start with (and find the x co-ords) you just need to factorise the equation, which gives you (x-3)(x+2) :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Neuth
You are correct (not sure what the issue is here :giggle:).

:banghead:

I cannot go through what limits are the correct limits discussion again... just go back, and read the question!
Reply 19
Original post by aoxa
:banghead:

I cannot go through what limits are the correct limits discussion again... just go back, and read the question!

I never disputed that :dontknow:

EDIT: I've just realised I quoted the wrong post... :getmecoat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending