The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography Unit 1 12th May 2015

Hey Everyone, this forum is for people to converse about expectations about the Unit 1 Geography AS exam and to help one each other out with any issues.

I believe that topics that could come up are migration flows for a 5 marker Q5 maybe and as well I think Arctic and/or Africa case studies will come up either for 5 markers or even 10/15 markers. Anything else to add please reply to the thread to let everyone know

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AGHHH I hate those case studies, my teachers kind ehh and they never told me that arctic and africa were compulsory, ugh, do you reckon i can cram it all in time for tuesday?
All compulsory case studies should come up... I hoping this year examiners are especially nice ^_^
Reply 3
Original post by MimiRuby
AGHHH I hate those case studies, my teachers kind ehh and they never told me that arctic and africa were compulsory, ugh, do you reckon i can cram it all in time for tuesday?

yeah you should be able to ^^
Reply 4
Original post by Pwanda_Clouds
All compulsory case studies should come up... I hoping this year examiners are especially nice ^_^

They dont all come up, only some do, which is good , but im so stressed I only know the California one for world at risk -____-'
Reply 5
Original post by Azula
yeah you should be able to ^^

Theres hope (':
They dont all come up, only some do, which is good , but im so stressed I only know the California one for world at risk -____-'

I only know most of the case studies... my problem is when it comes to being specific and using specific places in Africa or figures :/
Reply 7
I only know most of the case studies... my problem is when it comes to being specific and using specific places in Africa or figures :/

I think you only have to know specifics if youre choosing to answer a 15 marker on them ( or unless they give you a multiple choice with figures) -sucks for me because I know NNOTTHINNGGGG D:

-on a side note, you always get to choose which 15 marker you do, right, im pretty sure you do
Reply 8

When it comes to decreased growing periods and drought just always talk about the Sahel region lool
Reply 9
hazards in local areas might come this year as 5 marker
Does anyone have a local area hazard case study?
For my local area, as I live in Cambridge, I found some minor hazard examples such as storms, heavy snow, floods in 1998 and heavy winds etc. I haven't got details on any specific case studies just a couple of examples so I hope that will be enough!
Hi guys, I'm resitting this exam tomorrow and I've been revising all day.. and for like the last god knows however many weeks! I barely know any figures either!.. Just Spain is 10 degrees warmer than the UK lol Hope it goes well for us all. Can we all post the names of the case studies we have gone over? mine are:
hazard hotspots - phililppenes and cali
flooding hazard - bangladesh
impacts of climate change - arctic and africa
impacts of globalisation - disney, coca cola, mcdonalds, kenya, taiwan, india ranaplaza, cuba
switched on - india
switched off - laos
mega cities - los angeles and mumbai
post accession labour flow - Poland > UK
post colonial migration to UK - Bangladeshi, west Indians, Pakistanis and Gujarati Indians
employment and retirement flow to Mediterranean - UK and Morocco to Spain

:frown: just hope we all do well enough
Rrraaaaaaaaaaa i have no case studiessssss rrraaaaa only a few hours left rrrrrraaa
I haven't got info on the flooding hazards - Bangladesh case study!
For going global I also have Tesco TNC and affects of supermarkets etc.
Trade blocs I have NAFTA, EU and OPEC
China as an example of a RIC and also rural-urban migration
Bangalore for an example of urban development in India
UK elderly population
For hazards I also have Philippines as a multiple hazard zone
Hurricane sandy
Original post by eshattock
I haven't got info on the flooding hazards - Bangladesh case study!
For going global I also have Tesco TNC and affects of supermarkets etc.
Trade blocs I have NAFTA, EU and OPEC
China as an example of a RIC and also rural-urban migration
Bangalore for an example of urban development in India
UK elderly population
For hazards I also have Philippines as a multiple hazard zone
Hurricane sandy

They seem pretty similar to mine or just alternatives. For Bangladesh flooding I have facts about economy and why vulnerable, human causes of flooding and physical causes.
i didnt know flooding had compulsory case studies?? wat.. my teachers left me in the dark
i didnt know flooding had compulsory case studies?? wat.. my teachers left me in the dark

i wouldnt worry about it i have barely used it when doing past papers.
have you been doing old papers? what grades have you been getting back from them?
I haven't been doing many past papers, but if I have only the small answer questions as they are easier to mark myself. The 10/15 mark questions I have just gone through and planned what I would write then checked the mark scheme to see what sort of things they look for
I honestly haven't been doing past papers, just skimming through all the questions, answering them in my head then checking the mark scheme, which isn't great for answering skills when it comes to the 10/15 markers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending