The Student Room Group

Problem with Acne Tablets

Hi,

I'm a 16 year old male and I've suffered from severe acne since I was around 12 or 13. I've been prescribed tablets by my GP, even though I have told them I struggle to swallow tablets. Whenever I bring this up with my mum she just brushes it off and says "just swallow it" and "mind over matter" but also occasionally takes the p*** out of me because I can't swallow them. I've tried using Acne cream (I used it for 8 weeks) but it doesn't seem to do much. What should I do?

Short version: Can't swallow tablets. Acne Cream doesn't work. Any other options?

Thanks to whoever reads/replies to this. I don't mind PMing people if it's easier :smile:
Can you break up the tablets? I struggle with taking paracetamol - I usually put them under the back of teaspoon and crush them before taking them. Tastes gross but helps.
Depends what the tablet is but if it's a capsule, you should leave it as a capsule and not crush or empty it! It's designed that way for a reason and the stuff inside tastes atrocious (or it does if it's Lymecycline... I made that mistake once when I took one with a split in it, never again!!).

With the greatest respect, I suggest you just learn to swallow tablets. It is a useful life skill, once you've got the hang of it! If you can swallow food, you can more than swallow a tablet, it's just getting the timing right.

What cream did you actually use on your skin? There's more than just one 'acne cream'. At the end of the day though, if you've tried all the topical things, tablets are the next step.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Can you break up the tablets? I struggle with taking paracetamol - I usually put them under the back of teaspoon and crush them before taking them. Tastes gross but helps.

I can't break them unfortunately.

Original post by seaholme
Depends what the tablet is but if it's a capsule, you should leave it as a capsule and not crush or empty it! It's designed that way for a reason and the stuff inside tastes atrocious (or it does if it's Lymecycline... I made that mistake once when I took one with a split in it, never again!!).

With the greatest respect, I suggest you just learn to swallow tablets. It is a useful life skill, once you've got the hang of it! If you can swallow food, you can more than swallow a tablet, it's just getting the timing right.

What cream did you actually use on your skin? There's more than just one 'acne cream'. At the end of the day though, if you've tried all the topical things, tablets are the next step.

I've had two different creams. I'll see if I still have a box. I'll continue trying to swallow the capsules but is there another alternative?
Original post by Anonymous
I can't break them unfortunately.

I've had two different creams. I'll see if I still have a box. I'll continue trying to swallow the capsules but is there another alternative?

Ah, I see - they're capsules. Try putting one in a teaspoon of something soft/smooth like angel delight or yogurt. Have you tried speaking to someone about the swallowing anxiety? That might help you - I know it's not going to fix things immediately but for a long term solution that seems to be something you should look into.
Reply 5
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Ah, I see - they're capsules. Try putting one in a teaspoon of something soft/smooth like angel delight or yogurt. Have you tried speaking to someone about the swallowing anxiety? That might help you - I know it's not going to fix things immediately but for a long term solution that seems to be something you should look into.

I'll see if I can speak to someone. Thank you so much for the help :smile: I'll also try taking the capsule with yoghurt tonight
Hi,

I'm a 16 year old male and I've suffered from severe acne since I was around 12 or 13. I've been prescribed tablets by my GP, even though I have told them I struggle to swallow tablets. Whenever I bring this up with my mum she just brushes it off and says "just swallow it" and "mind over matter" but also occasionally takes the p*** out of me because I can't swallow them. I've tried using Acne cream (I used it for 8 weeks) but it doesn't seem to do much. What should I do?

Short version: Can't swallow tablets. Acne Cream doesn't work. Any other options?

Thanks to whoever reads/replies to this. I don't mind PMing people if it's easier :smile:

Hi
I have suffered from horrible acne for a realllllllllllllly long time too, i'm also 16 years old and initially my GP gave me the acne tablets too however i didnt use them cos i was scared if i used the tablets for my acne, and it stopped, i would suffer a cystic breakout. Now my skin has cleared ALOTT and i think i made the right decision by not using the tablets. I have been using a drugstore cream/gel called "T-zone rapid spot action spot zapping gel" twice a day. I also use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Facial Cleanser. I would recommend you to use these two products, however you must remain patient for the results to be seen. Within four weeks, my skin became clear. Also if you eat chocolates, cut back on them.
Reply 7
Hi
I have suffered from horrible acne for a realllllllllllllly long time too, i'm also 16 years old and initially my GP gave me the acne tablets too however i didnt use them cos i was scared if i used the tablets for my acne, and it stopped, i would suffer a cystic breakout. Now my skin has cleared ALOTT and i think i made the right decision by not using the tablets. I have been using a drugstore cream/gel called "T-zone rapid spot action spot zapping gel" twice a day. I also use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Facial Cleanser. I would recommend you to use these two products, however you must remain patient for the results to be seen. Within four weeks, my skin became clear. Also if you eat chocolates, cut back on them.

Thanks. I'll have a look into them :smile: And I don't eat too many, but I'll cut back some more

Quick Reply

Latest