The Student Room Group

B2 & B3 AQA GCSE - 12th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by eransimone
What did everyone get for the milk/bile question? I made so many stupid errors like for the what is the function of mitochondria I said it made energy for the cell and later on after the exam I realised it was oxygen....oh well. Does anyone have any good revision techniques for the chemistry exam because it's one of my worst subjects and i'm scared of failing.. Also does anyone watch myGCSEscience on YouTube? He makes pretty useful videos, not much for additional but he has huge playlists for b1, p1 and c1.

For the milk bile question I put 'Because Lipase was present in both so fats would have been digested by the lipase into Fatty Acids - lowering the pH'

Mitochondria do provide energy - released from glucose through Aerobic Respiration

As for chem find a mate who you can test and be tested by - it helps me no end :smile:
what to u reckin a B IS
or a Low C high B?
or a Low C high B?
If you can manage to get 40+marks
You're guaranteed an A
Reply 45
Anyone think they know what the grade boundaries might be? Apparently 40/60 is an A*?
Original post by Nico23
Anyone think they know what the grade boundaries might be? Apparently 40/60 is an A*?

Very likely
I'd say this exam was harder than the previous years
Reply 47
Original post by AstroFonic
Very likely
I'd say this exam was harder than the previous years

Definitely, found the b2 way harder than the b3 tho :frown:
wtf was the 6 marker about?? just made up some stuff bout a transect blah blah
The milk/bile question it dropped to an alkaline not acid because it when to ph nuetural because bile nutralises stomach acid and emilsifies fat..
was there a question on the lungs in b3? something about a balloon? cos someone said there was but i dont remember doing it and i might have missed a whole question?????
Original post by joyalrj22
was there a question on the lungs in b3? something about a balloon? cos someone said there was but i dont remember doing it and i might have missed a whole question?????

Did you do further additional science or gcse biology because the lungs question was on the BL3HP, whereas the FAS1HP people had an egg question instead...

The 6 mark questions were also slightly different - human and cow valves for BL3 and human vs artificial valves for FAS1
Original post by dal200888
The milk/bile question it dropped to an alkaline not acid because it when to ph nuetural because bile nutralises stomach acid and emilsifies fat..

Do you remember the pH range on the side of the graph?? Didn't look and regretting it now 😂😂 I put both dropped because the fatty acids are still being produced in both beakers (or whatever the test was in!) because both contained the lactase enzymes doing the digestion - still think this is right because of they were asking about neutralising it they wouldn't be asking about both! And anyway you can't drop the pH to alkaline - if you drop the pH the substance is becoming less alkaline and more towards the acidic side
Original post by #sarahsmith2
Did you do additional science or gcse biology because the lungs question was on the BL3HP, whereas the FAS1HP people had an egg question instead...

The 6 mark questions were also slightly different - human and cow valves for BL3 and human vs artificial valves for FAS1

oh pheeeeewwwwww!!!!
Yeh i did the egg question - never knew there were two tyoes whats the difference in?
OMG almost had a heart attack! :colondollar::colondollar:
oh pheeeeewwwwww!!!!\nYeh i did the egg question - never knew there were two tyoes whats the difference in?\nOMG almost had a heart attack! :colondollar::colondollar:

Not much really - in terms of the exams they just change one or two questsions so that they can call it a different paper- the rest of both papers were the same - probably to get more money or something

Anyway our school had to do it because we all sat our unit 1s last year and the government made a new rule that once you start on a 'pathway' you have to stay on it otherwise the school can't count our results towards their league tables , and science a, additional science and then further additional science was our 'pathway'
Not much really - in terms of the exams they just change one or two questsions so that they can call it a different paper- the rest of both papers were the same - probably to get more money or something

Anyway our school had to do it because we all sat our unit 1s last year and the government made a new rule that once you start on a 'pathway' you have to stay on it otherwise the school can't count our results towards their league tables ������������, and science a, additional science and then further additional science was our 'pathway'

ohh thats why cos we did core last year as well
Do you remember the pH range on the side of the graph?? Didn't look and regretting it now 😂😂 I put both dropped because the fatty acids are still being produced in both beakers (or whatever the test was in!) because both contained the lactase enzymes doing the digestion - still think this is right because of they were asking about neutralising it they wouldn't be asking about both! And anyway you can't drop the pH to alkaline - if you drop the pH the substance is becoming less alkaline and more towards the acidic side

It was to do with the emusifing fats. There was the ph numbers there and 2 was at the top and 7.5 was nearer the bottom this is why i put that. It is right because this is one of my strongest areas. Also water made it neutral to because it doesnt have a ph acidic or alkaline. It was an experiment trying to mimic what would happen in the stomach that is why bile was used.
Original post by gilly38
B2 wasn't too bad... But B3 seemed a lot harder than I thought it would be :/ After talking to some of my friends, it seems I got most of the same answers as them; but it was still really difficult. Did any of you get 400 for the magnification question?? :biggrin:

I got 400 too but a lot of people have said they've got 40 :s-smilie:

It was.. the teacher said that the experiment wasnt valid and why. Something across them line
Original post by gilly38
I put something like they both dropped because water is neutral, so it would even out the PH. then bile neutralises substances to a more neutral PH (was a complete guess tbh) the fatty acids would also make the Ph drop

I put practically the same just missed out the bit about the fatty acids, hopefully well get the marks

Quick Reply