The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 & C3 (14th May 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Yes the polymer question could come up cause that has not been on for a while. I would be so happy if that comes up but i dont think so cause it s too easy. It could come up as a 4 marker maybe
Original post by maxjackson5
do you have the mygcsescience videos? they've helped me a lot so far

No how do you find them? I have been using the cgp aqa chemistry book and working through it!
That's true. Has a comparison between thermosetting and thermosoftening polymers come up as a six marker yet? Because if not, I reckon that would be quite a nice one because you would simply have to bang out the facts.

What are the facts :lol:

So stressed for Chem :frown:
Reply 23
Does anyone have any ideas what 6 and 5 markers could come up that hasn't before?
Reply 24
Also, I'm struggling with Unit 3 Titration Calculations. Can anyone help? Thanks :smile: (the previous comment was for unit 3 too)
If it was anything like b2's six marker then I'm fu**ed LMAO
Anyone struggling use this - https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLhzZT1_v76sA1yQYHFASlOENdHDMSa4hs&v=hlSQq1TgMUY MASSIVE HELP along side your revision book (although it says C he covers everything)
Original post by Beng💯
I think a titration question will most certainly appear on the C3 exam. Aswell as calculating bond energies and probably testing for ions too. Just a guess tho:cool:

I'm ready for that B) it's C2 I'm stressing about
Reply 28
Original post by mediaya
Yes the polymer question could come up cause that has not been on for a while. I would be so happy if that comes up but i dont think so cause it s too easy. It could come up as a 4 marker maybe

If I could bet on any question coming up, I'd bet this. Hasn't been used in a lengthy amount of time.
Original post by Samistrawberry
What are the facts :lol:

So stressed for Chem :frown:

Thermosoftening polymers are used for plastic containers and they can be recycled because they can be melted and re-moulded. This is because there are weak intermolecular forces, and there is no covalent bonds between the layers.
Thermosetting polymers are used for materials that need to be resistant, i.e a frying pan handle. Once they have been set, thermosetting polymers can't be re-moulded because they have strong covalent bonds between the layers.
Thermosoftening polymers are used for plastic containers and they can be recycled because they can be melted and re-moulded. This is because there are weak intermolecular forces, and there is no covalent bonds between the layers.
Thermosetting polymers are used for materials that need to be resistant, i.e a frying pan handle. Once they have been set, thermosetting polymers can't be re-moulded because they have strong covalent bonds between the layers.

Ahh I see thank you!

Do you think we could get a 5 marker on paper chromatography? They could ask something like describe how to identify additives using paper chromatography?
Original post by Minty16
I am frightened out of my mind about the C2 exam I actually feel like crying that's how stressed I am.
I need help with chapter 5 it's scaring me to death just thinking about that exam. I feel like I just started year 11 yesturday and now it's over already and I'm doing exams. Someone help meeeeeeeedd!

Ooh is that the salts chapter? I can explain it kind of (also provides some revision for me)
if you mix a metal+acid you get a salt+hydrogen
if you mix a metal oxide/hydroxide you get a salt+water (since there is an extra oxygen molecule frim the oxide or hydroxide)
and an acid with a carbonate gives a salt and carbon dioxide and water!
then there is making salts:
you will be told in the question whether the salt is soluble or insoluble etc and the eqiptment will also be a clue as to which method to use!
making insoluble salts: precipitation. Add your two solutions together and then one will precipitate. Filter this and wash with water to get your salt.
making soluble salts: 2 soluble bases. This is a titration where you add an indicator eg universal indicator to your acid and then you add a certain volume of alkali until you can see that it is neutralised signalised by a colour change. Repeat this experiment using no alkali but the same measurements. Then you use heat to evaporatate amd crystallise your salts.
making soluble salts: one soluble and an insolube base. Eg copper oxide and sulfuric acid. Add the powdered copper oxide in excess to the acid(warm for a fast rate of reaction). Add it in excess so you know it has all reacted. Then you filter, evaporate and crystallise!
fINALLY
salt equations. Eg copper oxide+hydrochloric acid = copper CHLORIDe and water(it is a metal oxide)
eg. Magnesium hydroxide+sulfuric acid= magnesium SULFATE and water. Basically you take th first letter of the metal hydroxide and add it to the first letter of the acid!
hope that helped x
Ahh I see thank you!

Do you think we could get a 5 marker on paper chromatography? They could ask something like describe how to identify additives using paper chromatography?

It is likely because the last long question about paper chromatopgraphy was back in June 2012.
Reply 33
I think we may get a 4/5 mark question on gas chromatography.
what do you guys think will come up in C3?
Reply 35
Original post by JezDayy
It's highly likely that the stuff on C2 will be recycled from 2012, since B2 today actually recycled quite a bit in the same style. I wouldn't depend on this though (and unfortunately there's no C3 2012 paper)

Has some got mygcsescience account that I can use it to Watch the videos for c2 and c3 please?
It is likely because the last long question about paper chromatopgraphy was back in June 2012.

Ahh okay.. I guess the points that could be made might be something like drawing a line in pencil on the chromatography paper, putting solvent in the beaker and then placing a lid on the beaker etc.

Aha I've got so much revision left for Chemistry.
Ahh okay.. I guess the points that could be made might be something like drawing a line in pencil on the chromatography paper, putting solvent in the beaker and then placing a lid on the beaker etc.

Aha I've got so much revision left for Chemistry.

yeah something along those lines haha, I'm sure you'll do fine!
Reply 38

That question was repeated in last year's paper unfortunately.
Original post by neil20143
That question was repeated in last year's paper unfortunately.

you mean fortunately! I'm not too keen on it personally ahah, thanks though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending