The Student Room Group
Hell yes it is mainly because there is such a demand when the majority of people who head to university now look at humanities and social sciences rather than subjects which involve great problem solving skills and can potentially be more challenging. To be honest any STEM is degree is in high demand and therefore prestigious but you should also note the university from which you obtain the degree does also bear significance.
Original post by Salsa123
Hell yes it is mainly because there is such a demand when the majority of people who head to university now look at humanities and social sciences rather than subjects which involve great problem solving skills and can potentially be more challenging. To be honest any STEM is degree is in high demand and therefore prestigious but you should also note the university from which you obtain the degree does also bear significance.

I'm doing drama, media, biology, critical thinking and general studies

Do you think I have a shot at Maths at UEL?
Original post by Nikhilm
I'm doing drama, media, biology, critical thinking and general studies

Do you think I have a shot at Maths at UEL?

I think for UEL the requirements are that as long as you get 5As in your A levels then you can study whatever course so you don't need to study maths specifically but if you want to do postgrade maths the requirement is that you have 4A* and an A with A*s in maths physics computing and another science whilst the A must be in general studies or critical thinking not both.
Reply 4
Nah everyones got one nowadays
Yes, obviously it is.
Only at top 5 unis.
Only if you do it at Oxbridge.

I am speaking in the general public sense, not the employers perspective.

Doing Maths at Oxbridge is seen as more "artsy" as its usually the people that REALLY love maths that do it there. Whereas, everywhere else is seen as more technical, and more job oriented.
Original post by Salsa123
I think for UEL the requirements are that as long as you get 5As in your A levels then you can study whatever course so you don't need to study maths specifically but if you want to do postgrade maths the requirement is that you have 4A* and an A with A*s in maths physics computing and another science whilst the A must be in general studies or critical thinking not both.

Been revising for critical thinking for 3 weeks straight now! Hope its worth it - neglected my other subjects but oh well this is much more important
Original post by a96clark
In your opinion, is it?

Yes, but only at a top university.
Not the kind that includes B grades in their entry offer.
Studying mathematics can only really make you overqualified for a job rather than underqualified for a job. No employer realistically will say having a maths degree is not qualified enough due to the flexibility of applications of mathematics. Why is A level maths so popular? Because it is a challenge and earns you more. But A level maths is no match for what university maths could offer you.

Latest

Trending

Trending