The Student Room Group

OCR 21st century science biology science answers

So I was wondering how everyone felt about the test today. A few questions like the triplets one I felt wasn't suitable since in the revision guide there is no explicit information. Feel free to share answers that you put down to any question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanLock16
So I was wondering how everyone felt about the test today. A few questions like the triplets one I felt wasn't suitable since in the revision guide there is no explicit information. Feel free to share answers that you put down to any question

The triplets one threw me too! I think I picked up marks by talking about the formation of twins, and maybe a few for mentioning that there are millions of genetic combinations. I don't think I got all 6 though. What do you think the boundaries will be like?
Reply 2
Original post by josaltzman
The triplets one threw me too! I think I picked up marks by talking about the formation of twins, and maybe a few for mentioning that there are millions of genetic combinations. I don't think I got all 6 though. What do you think the boundaries will be like?

Same here, I also talked about how they can get different alleles by forming new unique ones but I have a feeling that is wrong. Mainly because others have said that egg cells can split into two and then two can be fertilized and split forming identicle twins and a normal baby, confusing stuff that isn't in the book really. In my opinion I think that they won't move the boundaries too much, maybe 42 for an A*? Although I hope it's lower than that because it was a tricky test compared to past papers. What did you put when it asked about how different genes can effect the way that a body reacts?
Same here, I also talked about how they can get different alleles by forming new unique ones but I have a feeling that is wrong. Mainly because others have said that egg cells can split into two and then two can be fertilized and split forming identicle twins and a normal baby, confusing stuff that isn't in the book really. In my opinion I think that they won't move the boundaries too much, maybe 42 for an A*? Although I hope it's lower than that because it was a tricky test compared to past papers. What did you put when it asked about how different genes can effect the way that a body reacts?

I mentioned alleles too, I think, and the formation of twins (the fertilised egg splitting). I think 42 for an A* would be pretty good. I'm aiming for it, but I'd be happy with an A. As for the different genes, do you mean the enzyme one, or the other one?
Reply 4
I mentioned alleles too, I think, and the formation of twins (the fertilised egg splitting). I think 42 for an A* would be pretty good. I'm aiming for it, but I'd be happy with an A. As for the different genes, do you mean the enzyme one, or the other one?

An A* is what I would like but I would also take an A. And the one with the enzymes
An A* is what I would like but I would also take an A. And the one with the enzymes

I think I mentioned that genes were instructions for making proteins (such as the functional proteins, enzymes) so people's genes may affect how they're produced. I wasn't too sure, though. What did you put? :confused:
Reply 6
I think I mentioned that genes were instructions for making proteins (such as the functional proteins, enzymes) so people's genes may affect how they're produced. I wasn't too sure, though. What did you put? :confused:

That sounds right, I for some reason put that the effect it has on the body is the side effects and due to genetic differences people have different side effects
Reply 7
Hi, I did the oct 21st b123 test as well. I heard from my teachers that the grade boundaries are going to be quite high? Don't understand why as I completely flopped it. I always got an A* easily for my mock but for this one I'm hoping that I'll get a high A and do my best for physics and chemistry. Weren't the questions tricky and confusing, compared to the past papers that were quite straightforward?
I had no idea what to write for the 6 marker about the nitrogen cycle :/ I wrote BS about autotrophs, hetertrophs, herbivores and carnivores.
Reply 8
Original post by Lilytan
Hi, I did the oct 21st b123 test as well. I heard from my teachers that the grade boundaries are going to be quite high? Don't understand why as I completely flopped it. I always got an A* easily for my mock but for this one I'm hoping that I'll get a high A and do my best for physics and chemistry. Weren't the questions tricky and confusing, compared to the past papers that were quite straightforward?
I had no idea what to write for the 6 marker about the nitrogen cycle :/ I wrote BS about autotrophs, hetertrophs, herbivores and carnivores.

I also found it quite harder, especially compared to previous years exam papers.

Nitrogen cycle six marker was ok though-
A was simply nitrates for growth
B was animals eating plants
C was excretion that contained urea turned into ammonia that plants can use for growth by nitrifying bacteria
Original post by Lilytan

Everyone keeps saying they expect high grade boundaries, but I've no idea why! I found the questions far too vague... especially ones like the, "Why may this concern doctors?" As for the nitrogen cycle, I felt prepared for a question on it, until I saw the actual question. I think the layout stumped me. I tried to relate it to the arrows but ended up just writing out the cycle. I'm worried they'll say it isn't relevant :confused:
Yh I said that too and did anyone else's graph for the butterfly thing at the end look like a triangle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I also found it quite harder, especially compared to previous years exam papers.

Nitrogen cycle six marker was ok though-
A was simply nitrates for growth
B was animals eating plants
C was excretion that contained urea turned into ammonia that plants can use for growth by nitrifying bacteria

Good, at least I'm not the only one. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the best.
I see... I'm pretty sure I did it right for A and B, except added some unneeded information, I hope... Section C is the one I'm not so sure about. I wrote about decomposers and nitrifying bacteria. Did not write a single word about excretion though...
Oh well, whats done is done. What did you get for the percentage increase question?
Reply 12
Everyone keeps saying they expect high grade boundaries, but I've no idea why! I found the questions far too vague... especially ones like the, "Why may this concern doctors?" As for the nitrogen cycle, I felt prepared for a question on it, until I saw the actual question. I think the layout stumped me. I tried to relate it to the arrows but ended up just writing out the cycle. I'm worried they'll say it isn't relevant :confused:

With the doctors question I put about antimicrobial resistance (the bacteria was becoming resistant to the memory cells from the vaccines) and then put because there is a clear increase they may have more deaths or cases, and then for the third mark said about how they need to get a new vaccine. What about you?
Reply 13
Original post by Lilytan
Good, at least I'm not the only one. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the best.
I see... I'm pretty sure I did it right for A and B, except added some unneeded information, I hope... Section C is the one I'm not so sure about. I wrote about decomposers and nitrifying bacteria. Did not write a single word about excretion though...
Oh well, whats done is done. What did you get for the percentage increase question?

I put 800 but the answer is 700-gutted personally about that
Reply 14
I put 800 but the answer is 700-gutted personally about that[/QUO
I put in 800 as well, why is it 700?
Original post by Bubblechub
Yh I said that too and did anyone else's graph for the butterfly thing at the end look like a triangle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a negative correlation (straight line).
With the doctors question I put about antimicrobial resistance (the bacteria was becoming resistant to the memory cells from the vaccines) and then put because there is a clear increase they may have more deaths or cases, and then for the third mark said about how they need to get a new vaccine. What about you?

I think I put roughly the same. I mentioned they may have developed resistance, that more people might be deciding to not have the vaccine, and that the cases might therefore increase further. I wish I'd mentioned about the new vaccine now :tongue:
Reply 17
[QUOTE="Lilytan;55716967"]
I put 800 but the answer is 700-gutted personally about that[/QUO
I put in 800 as well, why is it 700?

100% of 20 is 20.
20 x 7 = 140
100% x 7 = 140
700% = 140
20 + 700% = 160
20 + 140 = 160
Reply 18
I think I put roughly the same. I mentioned they may have developed resistance, that more people might be deciding to not have the vaccine, and that the cases might therefore increase further. I wish I'd mentioned about the new vaccine now :tongue:

It was a bit of a punt so I'm not sure if it's correct. The last question did you out sustainability is meeting the needs of today's population without harming the environment so that future population can meet their own needs?
It was a bit of a punt so I'm not sure if it's correct. The last question did you out sustainability is meeting the needs of today's population without harming the environment so that future population can meet their own needs?

Yup! I put, "Meeting the needs of the present without affecting the needs of the future." But then I felt like it was too short for 2 marks, so I added a quick sentence about not using up resources that can't be replaced... or something like that. I don't think I did too bad on the paper, but it's certainly not my best.

Quick Reply

Latest