The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Biology - Paper 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deano1
=) Thank you!! We've got this...

Do you go to a private school as most private do IGCSE?

My school does both iGCSE and GCSE, I just happen to be doing iGCSE for science :smile:
Original post by JohnJuJu
-For the ' Name a system that isn't on here'
i put the blood circulatory system, because it had no blood vessels, is that correct?

I'm not sure, I put the endocrine system for that one
Reply 282
Original post by torilee
My school does both iGCSE and GCSE, I just happen to be doing iGCSE for science :smile:

Decent. Good luck!
Original post by Deano1
Decent. Good luck!

Ahh thanks, you too!
I wrote for the lowland and highland rice, that they both might require different amounts of nutrients because they might be a different species.
Original post by PalwashaAyubb
it was alright I guess just really pushed for time, what did u guys get for the question on why sperm ducts and not oviducts??
I wrote that oviducts are used in menstruation and if we remove it or cut whatever the woman will have no menstrual cycle

I went for the scrotom being on the outside makes the operation easier, as you do not need to cut inside of the women.
I wrote for the lowland and highland rice, that they both might require different amounts of nutrients because they might be a different species.

Yeh, I said that the lowland. Would have evolved to survive using fewer nutrients...so a similar idea.
Original post by torilee
I'm not sure, I put the endocrine system for that one

Decent shout, I went for the skeletal system, as that easing labeled at all. However endocrine is a good option.
Original post by aacargo
How did everyone do the X axis on the graph - how many years for each block?

I did pairs of bars for each 3 year section, so the women's and men's we're in direct comparison next to each other
Original post by Duskfinger
I went for the scrotom being on the outside makes the operation easier, as you do not need to cut inside of the women.

That's exactly what I went for. Phew!!
Messed up and drew a graph instead of a bar chart. :/
Reply 291
Original post by Stormforge
What did people put for the stomach and why the growth hormone couldn't survive there

Ehh I got confused and put something like: the acid in the stomach results in a pH level that's far from ideal for enzymes. This results in the enzyme becoming denatured and unable to bind to the active site of the substrate.

I put the some thing for the question that came before relating to the temperature, basically referring to enzymes and that they become denatured when the milk gets pasteurised.

Enzymes, proteins :colonhash:? Hope I haven't messed that up.
Ah well, the test is over now; there's nothing much we can do about it unfortunately :frown:. Judging from the responses, I would say the grade boundaries will be lower this year. Perhaps a low 70% or even a high 60% A* boundary (unlikely, my guesstimate is 74%, 132/180). Should we try and compile the test from memory and see what everyone's overall response to each question was?
Original post by scalliander
I think that's a different paper, the edexcel individual sciences didn't have anything about dogs, but about Hungtindon's disease and cystic fibrosis

I think you did a different paper.

There was nothing on hungtindon or cystic on the paper we did today. :smile: (the double paper)
And there was definitely a picture of a dog. :biggrin:

-For the ' Name a system that isn't on here'
i put the blood circulatory system, because it had no blood vessels, is that correct?

But wasn't the heart the answer to one of the questions...? I ruled it out cuz it was already mentioned in one of the previous questions.
Original post by Synful
Ehh I got confused and put something like: the acid in the stomach results in a pH level that's far from ideal for enzymes. This results in the enzyme becoming denatured and unable to bind to the active site of the substrate.

I put the some thing for the question that came before relating to the temperature, basically referring to enzymes and that they become denatured when the milk gets pasteurised.

Enzymes, proteins :colonhash:? Hope I haven't messed that up.

I think you have answered the the second question incorrectly as the HCL in the stomach causes the pH to be low. This is the ideal pH for pepsin, a protease enzyme, which digests the growth hormone. By the way, enzymes are proteins and proteins can be denatured (their shape changes).
If I wrote three answers for a two answer question, two being correct and one incorrect, will I get a mark deducted?
Original post by Realforce
Messed up and drew a graph instead of a bar chart. :/

It's okay , you still get marks for plotting, scale and axes labelled and all that. :smile:

Oh and for the growth hormone - I didn't put denatured even though I was thinking that that was what happened.
Moral of the story - trust your gut instinct sometimes...
Original post by Realforce
If I wrote three answers for a two answer question, two being correct and one incorrect, will I get a mark deducted?

Most likely scenario is yes as in the past I have tried to write to the same thing and my correct point canceled out my incorrect point. Maybe your second correct point will be the deciding factor in the examiner's judgment.
For the people who have drawn line graphs (like me), I believe you can be deducted from 1-3 marks for this and it does not necessarily mean you get 0 for that question. I forgot to the key on that question too which means I probably lost another mark ;/
Original post by torilee
That's exactly what I went for. Phew!!

It seemed the most logical, and that's what they want to see on the "suggest why" questions.
Original post by Foreboding
Ah well, the test is over now; there's nothing much we can do about it unfortunately :frown:. Judging from the responses, I would say the grade boundaries will be lower this year. Perhaps a low 70% or even a high 60% A* boundary (unlikely, my guesstimate is 74%, 132/180). Should we try and compile the test from memory and see what everyone's overall response to each question was?

I quite like that idea. We've already covered a lot of stuff (growth hormone in milk, mosquitoes, organ systems, etc.), but I'm sure there are still quite a few of the more substantial questions left...anyone up for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending