The Student Room Group

OCR MEI - C1 - 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

By "Need my calculator for safety" I hope you mean you would like one with you? Don't try take one in for C1!
It's Tomorrow !! :frown: I feel like I know what I'm doing but at the same time I have a bad feeling about it though!! Any last minute advice?
It's Tomorrow !! :frown: I feel like I know what I'm doing but at the same time I have a bad feeling about it though!! Any last minute advice anyone? :colondollar:
Reply 63
Read the questions thoroughly. The questions in C1 are not that difficult to do. It is more trying to understand what the question is asking you to do. Especially in section B.
Reply 64
Thanks Abdul, however I am still unsure on how to interpret the type of question involving factor/remainder theorems and finding/showing the roots. So for example if the question asks to FIND a root what do I do?
Original post by Tnek
Thanks Abdul, however I am still unsure on how to interpret the type of question involving factor/remainder theorems and finding/showing the roots. So for example if the question asks to FIND a root what do I do?

sub in numbers into f(x) to get the answer as 0 :smile: or if you know a root, divide f(x) by the root given, so if the root is x =3, divide by (x - 3), then youll get a quadratic answer then factorise quadratic to get two roots :smile:
Reply 66
Thank you so much man, much appreciated!
Thanks! I'll try to do that, I'm just really worried that I'm going to get super nervous and make some really stupid mistakes
okay so reading this makes me feel really dumb because in c1 i ether get an A or a C and theres never one in between :/ can someone give examples of how hard the last question can be?
Original post by climatechange101
okay so reading this makes me feel really dumb because in c1 i ether get an A or a C and theres never one in between :/ can someone give examples of how hard the last question can be?

Completed all the C1 past papers, in my opinion I'd say the graphical questions they give you and ask you to find intersections but then polynomial division comes into it with finding the real values of K :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Completed all the C1 past papers, in my opinion I'd say the graphical questions they give you and ask you to find intersections but then polynomial division comes into it with finding the real values of K :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

i actually find those quite easy, the things i lose marks on is silly mistakes or forgetting how to work out things to do with a circle
Original post by climatechange101
i actually find those quite easy, the things i lose marks on is silly mistakes or forgetting how to work out things to do with a circle

Just had a look through those questions and it's not too bad! As long as you just remember the key circles facts you will be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Winner2015
It's so easy. Only muggles drop marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You better be getting full UMS then in this paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Just had a look through those questions and it's not too bad! As long as you just remember the key circles facts you will be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank youuuu xxx i really needed some motivation xxx
[QUOTE="AbdulArshad;55713579"]
Original post by micaela_m
How would they do completing the square for Section B like how would they carry it on if you know what I mean, would it turn into a circles thing?
And okay thanks I will have a look at the shape question in the 2012 paper!
And okay thanks that's good I knew they couldn't ask specifics but I thought they might ask us to translate/stretch graph etc to test transformations knowledge rather than it being similar to a C2 question.
Thanks for clearing that up tho!![/Q

it'll be a question similiar to Question 11 on January 2013 :smile: like it probably ask for intersections and tangents :smile:

Hope this helps!

Yeah thank you, I'm just doing that paper now, I've done it before but it was a while back. Thanks for your help!! Good luck if you're doing the exam tomorrow :tongue:
Original post by Smug Life
How is that even possible? No offence, but that's ridiculous.

None taken. It wasn't me, but a friend of mine who is currently in year 13 but had to retake year 12
Find the set of values of k for which the graph of y=x^2+2kx+5 does not intersect the x axis.

So did:
b^2-4ac

2k^2-4x1x5<0
2k^2-20<0
2k^2<20
k^2<10
k<root10

According to the markscheme i would of gotten 3/4 but not 4/4 because when you sub in the equation to b^2-4ac you sub 4k^2 not 2k^2

Why would it be 4 and not 2 since 2 is in the equation right?
Thank you
Original post by xoharrypotter
Find the set of values of k for which the graph of y=x^2+2kx+5 does not intersect the x axis.

So did:
b^2-4ac

2k^2-4x1x5<0
2k^2-20<0
2k^2<20
k^2<10
k<root10

According to the markscheme i would of gotten 3/4 but not 4/4 because when you sub in the equation to b^2-4ac you sub 4k^2 not 2k^2

Why would it be 4 and not 2 since 2 is in the equation right?
Thank you

(2k)^2 is 4k^2 I think
I can't find the exact question but if you have a circle equation and the equation of a tangent, how do you find the equation of the other parallel tangent? Obviously you have the gradient but what point would you sub in? Thanks
Who reckons perpendicular bisectors will come up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending