The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography unit 2

Im doing extreme weather and rebranding places

I have no idea where to start revision - Can someone kindly help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jeevanpunia
Im doing extreme weather and rebranding places

I have no idea where to start revision - Can someone kindly help?

A good place to start would be to collate all of the information you obtained during your fieldwork and identify how it links to what's on the specification. A good thing about the fieldwork questions is that the mark scheme is very vague because different schools go to different places.

For example, we went to Hull and I'm identifying the different mechanisms involved in the rebranding strategies and the players involved.
Reply 2
Okay, for the rebranding case studies do i only need to know the profile, players, catalyst and outcomes (how sucessful rebrand was) on the specific areas?
Reply 3
any predictions on rebranding or crowded coast questions?
Have any of you guys written fieldwork answers at home and are you going to try remember them for the exam?
Reply 5
Original post by bushraox
any predictions on rebranding or crowded coast questions?

Hoping for crowded coasts they give us conflicts or development over time and for rebranding they give us one on diversification or a rural area
Reply 6
Original post by Retropattern
Have any of you guys written fieldwork answers at home and are you going to try remember them for the exam?

The fieldwork markscheme is usually quite vague because lots of school go to different areas. Therefore, you can usually make facts and statistics up as long as they sound believeable!
have you guys got any tips for staying in time limits cause I'm really worried about this exam
Reply 8
Original post by Retropattern
have you guys got any tips for staying in time limits cause I'm really worried about this exam

37.5 Minutes per section (a mark a minute)

So 10 minutes for 10 marks

15 minutes for 15 marks :smile:

10 marks usually need 3 clear peel (point,evidence, explain, link) paragraphs including an example in each paragraph

15 marks is about the fieldwork you investigated talking about primary/secondary research or results and conclusions, or data presentation.
Case Study List???

I got;
Cornwall
Stratford
Dorset Coast
Birmingham

If anyone has good websites or resources :smile:
For rebranding---does anyone know if the fieldwork and research q always has the option of rural or urban? The past papers I've seen have but I'm not suree
For field work questions, just talking about generic primary and secondary methods but just relating them to you're chosen area where you did field work is fine, and presenting they just look for powerpoints graphs etc and why this can be useful to show results
Original post by y0shigonewilde
Case Study List???

I got;
Cornwall
Stratford
Dorset Coast
Birmingham

If anyone has good websites or resources :smile:

For rebranding I have cornwall, castleford, liverpool, London docklands, 2012 Olympics
Crowded coasts I have bournemouth/dorset coast, dubai, southampton water/dibden bay, holderness coast
Original post by lulumaca16
For rebranding---does anyone know if the fieldwork and research q always has the option of rural or urban? The past papers I've seen have but I'm not suree

there is always an option as the exam board does not know where every school decides to carry out their fieldwork
Reply 14
TIP: For the F&R questions (15 marks), there's nothing stopping you from making up fictional results, as long as they sound realistic. Although I know most of my results, I may need to make up stats on the spot.
Original post by Roscuro
The fieldwork markscheme is usually quite vague because lots of school go to different areas. Therefore, you can usually make facts and statistics up as long as they sound believeable!

Hey, quick question- what happens if didn't do any field work so a student missed the trip etc? Can they still do the exam? I'm a private candidate but I'm trying to understand if the fieldwork is necessary for me to do the exam. If it's necesary, I'm thinking of asking the geography teacher at school if I could join year 12 when they go on their next trip but then again I realised the specification changes this year in September. I wonder if fieldwork is essential for unit 4 also? If so I may have a chance to go with my friends.
Reply 16
Original post by Cherry82
Hey, quick question- what happens if didn't do any field work so a student missed the trip etc? Can they still do the exam? I'm a private candidate but I'm trying to understand if the fieldwork is necessary for me to do the exam. If it's necesary, I'm thinking of asking the geography teacher at school if I could join year 12 when they go on their next trip but then again I realised the specification changes this year in September. I wonder if fieldwork is essential for unit 4 also? If so I may have a chance to go with my friends.

If you haven't done any fieldwork I'm not sure if you will be able to sit the exam because as far as I'm aware your centre must provide the exam board with fieldwork information. That being said, I don't know if this affects private students so you'll have to check with your school's geography department. Regarding unit 4, we are currently studying that at school at the moment and are not going on any fieldwork trips. But any fieldwork you do go on could help you find information regarding the pre-release!
Original post by Roscuro
If you haven't done any fieldwork I'm not sure if you will be able to sit the exam because as far as I'm aware your centre must provide the exam board with fieldwork information. That being said, I don't know if this affects private students so you'll have to check with your school's geography department. Regarding unit 4, we are currently studying that at school at the moment and are not going on any fieldwork trips. But any fieldwork you do go on could help you find information regarding the pre-release!

Oh, I see.
So for unit 2, fieldwork is essential but for unit 4 it is good to do but not essential. Thank you! I'm going to speak to the geography department once I get back. My fear though is that the specification is changing so the next year 12 class may be doing an entirely different spec. Their trip may be irrelevant to what I am doing (not sure if this is possible, maybe any trip might be useful) but if this is the case, I may have to forget about doing geography.
Reply 18
Original post by Cherry82
Oh, I see.
So for unit 2, fieldwork is essential but for unit 4 it is good to do but not essential. Thank you! I'm going to speak to the geography department once I get back. My fear though is that the specification is changing so the next year 12 class may be doing an entirely different spec. Their trip may be irrelevant to what I am doing (not sure if this is possible, maybe any trip might be useful) but if this is the case, I may have to forget about doing geography.

Yes in the unit 2 exam there will be a specific question about your fieldwork, so unless you're very good at bluffing for an entire question you should require about joining a trip. As far as I'm aware the geography spec is not changing until next year, as there some year 13's who were told to pick up an AS doing geography. So that means that next year they will still be on the old spec
Original post by Rikaaaay
there is always an option as the exam board does not know where every school decides to carry out their fieldwork

No they have asked specifically for urban or rural before

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending