The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by Bunny2014
Hello :smile:

Yeah its going good thanks, hows yours coming along?

What would be the key points for this question?

To what extent do you agree that the war economy lacked the efficiency to meet the demands of total war"?

Thanks x

Ah good - mines okay but lacks detail at the minute :L

Erm, I would probably do an agree/disagree judgement including:

Raw materials shortages
Early inefficiencies
Chaotic nature of the state
Importance of the consumer
Albert Speer's rationalisation
Mobilisation of foreign and female workers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah good - mines okay but lacks detail at the minute :L

Erm, I would probably do an agree/disagree judgement including:

Raw materials shortages
Early inefficiencies
Chaotic nature of the state
Importance of the consumer
Albert Speer's rationalisation
Mobilisation of foreign and female workers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats perfect!!! Thank you very much! :smile:

Yeah i need to learn figures soon :L not looking forward to that aha

what does it mean by the term pragmatism btw?

Thanks x
Reply 622
Thats perfect!!! Thank you very much! :smile:

Yeah i need to learn figures soon :L not looking forward to that aha

what does it mean by the term pragmatism btw?

Thanks x

That's okay! Hope it helps! x

Me neither - the revision guide seems the best place to learn figures but it's just the motivation I need to somehow muster up!

Pragmatism is compromising on something for the sake of a long term benefit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Nice! Yeah no point putting all eggs in one basket! I'm just reading my revision guides and going through flash cards I've made :smile: planned essays but I don't personally find writing them useful haha.

My first exam is 5th June so I like this stage atm. Hoping time goes slowly the next couple of weeks lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm quite lazy about essay writing too. :biggrin: I plan out all the essay, really thoroughly & then just go over them & explain them to myself over and over. But I also just try to remember as much facts and dates as I can. Hahah, I'm hoping to cram History in 3 weeks which I think is more than enough time given that I've done a lot of revision for it already! :smile: just more essay planning and actually writing the essays (hopefully :P)

Good luck on your exams btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 624
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
I'm quite lazy about essay writing too. :biggrin: I plan out all the essay, really thoroughly & then just go over them & explain them to myself over and over. But I also just try to remember as much facts and dates as I can. Hahah, I'm hoping to cram History in 3 weeks which I think is more than enough time given that I've done a lot of revision for it already! :smile: just more essay planning and actually writing the essays (hopefully :P)

Good luck on your exams btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah nice! Thanks - me too!

What timing do you tend to stick to?

For me:
Part A = 5 mins planning, 50 mins writing

Part B = 15 mins planning, 60 mins writing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That's okay! Hope it helps! x

Me neither - the revision guide seems the best place to learn figures but it's just the motivation I need to somehow muster up!

Pragmatism is compromising on something for the sake of a long term benefit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will be fine mister!!

Thank you :smile: you used that word before and i was wondering what it meant aha x
Reply 626
You will be fine mister!!

Thank you :smile: you used that word before and i was wondering what it meant aha x

Hahah I hope so :wink:

Ah no worries! Does my essay plan make sense now? As in, why I'd call certain events "pragmatic"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hahah I hope so :wink:

Ah no worries! Does my essay plan make sense now? As in, why I'd call certain events "pragmatic"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it makes sense now :biggrin: thanks! x

Yeah you will definitely do well :smile:

I get so mixed up with reasons for Hitler rising to power and Nazi consolidation :confused:
Reply 628
Yeah it makes sense now :biggrin: thanks! x

Yeah you will definitely do well :smile:

I get so mixed up with reasons for Hitler rising to power and Nazi consolidation :confused:

To be fair - those events are very close together! He comes to power and has virtually consolidated it within 6 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

For me:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't like to stick to time restraints like that because it puts pressure on me to like study all the sources in time and pressure + sources = chaos. You HAVE to have a calm state of mind when reading these sources because even the slightest misinterpretation could pull you down to a Band 3 MAX.

Generally I hope to have done all the sources and started writing within 20 minutes for part B though. Part A i plan for like barely 2/3 minutes because I'm so eager to get into it - just main points will do. 5 minutes seems excess imo. Obviously it's all personal preference xD

But be sure to do a plan! Always!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
To be fair - those events are very close together! He comes to power and has virtually consolidated it within 6 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is very true :smile: haha x
Original post by CD223

For me:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I generally stick to the same timings as you! :smile: I actually do the Part B question first as I find it more difficult and I tend to run over in to my Part A times, so I need to work on that! But Part A planning only takes me about 3 or so minutes but 5 is the maximum. I just hope we get nice sources which give loads to talk about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow
I don't like to stick to time restraints like that because it puts pressure on me to like study all the sources in time and pressure + sources = chaos. You HAVE to have a calm state of mind when reading these sources because even the slightest misinterpretation could pull you down to a Band 3 MAX.

Generally I hope to have done all the sources and started writing within 20 minutes for part B though. Part A i plan for like barely 2/3 minutes because I'm so eager to get into it - just main points will do. 5 minutes seems excess imo. Obviously it's all personal preference xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, I see your point but I think time constraints are incredibly important and you definitely need to implement them in to your exam mind set. If I don't have my exam timings in my head before going in to the exam, I tend to get panicked over my organisation and all that. But like you said each to their own I guess! :biggrin: Just walk in with a positive mind set and we should be good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hm, I see your point but I think time constraints are incredibly important and you definitely need to implement them in to your exam mind set. If I don't have my exam timings in my head before going in to the exam, I tend to get panicked over my organisation and all that. But like you said each to their own I guess! :biggrin: Just walk in with a positive mind set and we should be good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For my AS sources paper I kept thinking about my girlfriend while analysing the sources!!! I ended up taking 35 minutes!! XD I just hope I have a clear mind when I go in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 634
Original post by Tow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah good point. 5 mins max for part A.

15 mins usually suffices for Part B. I don't tend to feel pressured to quickly plan though. I've never run out of time for it so I've never really felt pressured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 635
Yeah I generally stick to the same timings as you! :smile: I actually do the Part B question first as I find it more difficult and I tend to run over in to my Part A times, so I need to work on that! But Part A planning only takes me about 3 or so minutes but 5 is the maximum. I just hope we get nice sources which give loads to talk about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping for a general "was Germany responsible for WW1" for part B.

Do you have an argument in mind before the exam, or do you change your mind based on the strength of each source?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Do you have an argument in mind before the exam, or do you change your mind based on the strength of each source?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is, is you look at some of the past papers, one of the questions for WW1 was ridiculously hard like my teacher struggled to figure the sources it out and pretty much everyone misinterpreted it. I only got 1 source right but confused the other 2. I think it was the 2012 paper but don't quote me on it! I can't remember quite when it was. The WW1 is more likely to be harder because it's so straightforward in general xD most of the sources are generally hard for this question!
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'd love a question like that! I've done both controversies and am more inclined towards the Nazi's but I don't mind WW1 either lol.

Yeah I tend to change my mind based on the sources and how much I can go for or against them. If I feel confident enough to plan it all out and give evidence while using the sources, I'll just do the question. That said, I will be going in with an argument already thought up, just depends on the question if I'll actually use it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tow
For my AS sources paper I kept thinking about my girlfriend while analysing the sources!!! I ended up taking 35 minutes!! XD I just hope I have a clear mind when I go in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG!! See, I would've been a quivering mess if I had done that lol. How did you end up doing in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG!! See, I would've been a quivering mess if I had done that lol. How did you end up doing in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that was the unit where my teacher was useless - everyone got U/D/E's. I got 78... without writing a conclusion for my part B xD not bad if you ask me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending