The Student Room Group

AS Maths Core 1 Tomorrow

Can anyone help explain how to get the answer to this question please?

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/A%20Level%20Past%20Papers/Core%201/2005%20-%20Jan/2005%20January.pdf

Only Q6) ii), iii) and iv)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HJFB

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/A%20Level%20Past%20Papers/Core%201/2005%20-%20Jan/2005%20January.pdf

you're doing Jan 05? have you done all the more up to date ones? the old ones are less effective
Original post by HJFB

For the second part just use your dv by dx from part one and set equal to zero and solve to find v which would be x and then find the corresponding y value, part 3 you factorise the equation and part 4 you show the discriminant (b squared minus 4ac) equals zero
Reply 3
Original post by crayolaguy
you're doing Jan 05? have you done all the more up to date ones? the old ones are less effective

Yeah, I've done pretty much all the papers from 08 to 2014 so thought I'd find some more for extra revision!
Reply 4
Original post by Sophialittlelunt
For the second part just use your dv by dx from part one and set equal to zero and solve to find v which would be x and then find the corresponding y value, part 3 you factorise the equation and part 4 you show the discriminant (b squared minus 4ac) equals zero

ahhh thank you so much!!
Original post by HJFB
ahhh thank you so much!!

No problemm! :smile: x
Good luck for tomoro
Original post by HJFB
Yeah, I've done pretty much all the papers from 08 to 2014 so thought I'd find some more for extra revision!

that's good, good luck tomorrow! I've got FP3 tomorrow, I wish I was just doing C1 :biggrin:
Reply 7
that's good, good luck tomorrow! I've got FP3 tomorrow, I wish I was just doing C1 :biggrin:

Thank you! It went better than I thought! Ahh no, hope you found it okay today!
Reply 8
Original post by Sophialittlelunt
No problemm! :smile: x
Good luck for tomoro

Thank you:smile: x
Original post by HJFB
Thank you! It went better than I thought! Ahh no, hope you found it okay today!

It didn't go ok I lost abut 20 marks (that I know of) :frown: . This years paper was quite hard.
Reply 10
It didn't go ok I lost abut 20 marks (that I know of) :frown: . This years paper was quite hard.

Oh no:frown: I was quite gutted with my core 1 as well to be honest. Was one of the harder papers I've done!
Original post by HJFB
Oh no:frown: I was quite gutted with my core 1 as well to be honest. Was one of the harder papers I've done!

Awww :frown: Hopefully we both do better than expected. You've still got Core 2 soon. That exam is a lot better than Core 1 (in my opinion).
Reply 12
Awww :frown: Hopefully we both do better than expected. You've still got Core 2 soon. That exam is a lot better than Core 1 (in my opinion).

Yeah I hope so:frown: Yeah, I personally prefer Core 2 too! Just hope that goes better!!
Reply 13
Original post by HJFB

maybe you did not do enough papers.
Reply 14

Original post by TeeEm
maybe you did not do enough papers.

I did every paper from 08 to 2014 so I think I did.
Reply 15
Original post by HJFB

I did every paper from 08 to 2014 so I think I did.

some people do 30 or so

some EDEXCEL students do a lot more than that because there lots of practice papers for them
Reply 16
Original post by TeeEm
some people do 30 or so

some EDEXCEL students do a lot more than that because there lots of practice papers for them

Well my exam board is AQA and I did all the exam papers available to me.
Reply 17
Original post by HJFB
Well my exam board is AQA and I did all the exam papers available to me.

Maybe next time you can try across boards.

The TOTAL contents of C1 and C2 are the same in all boards except the topics can appear in slightly different modules.
Reply 18
Original post by TeeEm
Maybe next time you can try across boards.

The TOTAL contents of C1 and C2 are the same in all boards except the topics can appear in slightly different modules.

I'll try that for Core 2, thank you
Reply 19
Original post by HJFB
I'll try that for Core 2, thank you

Hope it works
sometimes you need a bit of luck too, like having a good day, so to speak.

All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending