The Student Room Group

Why I hate "feminism"- as a woman.

Scroll to see replies

I read up till Firestone and tbh you've just summarised the whole Feminism section of Sociology A-Level ... Nothing really substantial at all, and not much of an opinion either.

Although I do agree that most people think that 'feminism' is strictly ' women hate all men and blah blah' it's true, there are plenty of people who think that's all it is, when in fact it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingStannis
i actually read most of this in roughly 5 minutes so yeah, i am superior to most of the people in this thread.

You're also a grammar God from what we saw in the last episode. :wink:
Oh boy

Your points are excruciatingly thoroughly explained OP and unfortunately it is highly unlikely they will get the attention they deserve. Overall, I agree but seriously now, tldr.

Your future husband.... I wish him good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't manage to read that to the end but from what I managed I can conclude that ur post is very well considered and does not offend me in the slightest.

I am an unapologetic feminist. I guess I fit into the 'liberal feminist' section.
Admittedly if the movement for equal gender rights was called 'manism' then I would be a bit suspicious so I see why some people take issue with the word, but when you look at the historical context the reason is obvious and I think we are all grown-up enough to deal with that.
ofc things are more complicated now we have very nearly achieved equality in Europe, things get more complicated (not sure how I feel about gender quotas) and there are definitely things to be done to help men out as well as women ( I think more flexible parenting leave for both genders is a great idea)

the OP's effort is admirable xx
We don't need third wave feminism at all. Why don't we just strive for egalitarianism?

"Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Teach a feminist to fish and she will accuse you of patronising her, claim she knew how to do it anyway and that even if she didn't, she could easily work it out without the help of a man."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by seaholme
Confused with the "she asked for it" bit. Are you saying there's some sort of acceptable area, but short of rape? :confused:

Also I feel like I deserve a sticker for reading.

I would give you a rep, but I exhausted mines for today (I'll remember you for tomorrow though ^^!)

I wouldn't say acceptable, but to some degree ( and clearly in some situations only ) understandable.
Like I said, we are naturally designed to feel excited when we see some parts of a person. This is resumed to our sexuality. Heterosexual men are prone to enjoy (and maybe compliment, corteously or not) women in yoga pants just as homosexual men are prone to do that to men in yoga pants (or perhaps women who like seeing that part of the man more pronouced, I guess :giggle:).

Rape itself is linked to the sexuality of the aggressor. There are cases in which a heterosexual male rapist might attack a woman showing more flesh because of his prejudice. He sees the woman weak, but not because she is weak per se, but because she is his victim, and in the criminal's perspective he is the predator and the victim is prey. If an old person was going out on the streets with their wallet exposed, they would also attract more attention from robbers, because of a possible robber's prejudices (that old people are less likely to fight back/run to them/ask for help).
The underlying question in there seems to be a personal question for yourself of "am i a feminist?". Or at least thats how i read it.

And no i don't think you are, not because of your ideals or because you support or do not support specific ideals but because the idea of feminism has been changed/warped into something it was not intended to be by those who have been wronged by the opposite(or same) sex and take up feminism as a weapon. It has become something which is seen as 'fighting' for a belief. Which should not be necessary and is probably making the situation worse. Its the same with beliefs worldwide, there are always the radicals. Unfortunately with feminism those radicals shouted too loudly and have made their cause into a mockery to those who it would have been beneficial to engage in debate.

I would say that you, from reading your text, are not a feminist and you are not an anti-feminist, you are just human. In that, while you did not outline them to avoid a biased essay, you seem to just support common decency and treating others like a human being, nothing more nothing less. Unfortunately that is not as common a belief/principles than I(and others) would like to see in our society.
Please correct me if im wrong, that is just what I took from the text (very well written btw)
Original post by seaholme
Confused with the "she asked for it" bit. Are you saying there's some sort of acceptable area, but short of rape? :confused:

Also I feel like I deserve a sticker for reading.

A good analogy would be;

"Don't poke the bear"

That doesn't excuse the existence of the metaphorical bear, but you still shouldn't poke it. But thats a very sensitive subject that peoples opinions may differ by very small amounts leading to hugely different outcomes.
Original post by soanonymous
I read up till Firestone and tbh you've just summarised the whole Feminism section of Sociology A-Level ... Nothing really substantial at all, and not much of an opinion either.

Although I do agree that most people think that 'feminism' is strictly ' women hate all men and blah blah' it's true, there are plenty of people who think that's all it is, when in fact it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be more than happy to know that I know some sort of A-level Feminism, given that I only researched the topic since yesterday at uni, and I come from a math-computer science profile in high-school xD.
And yeah, the second paragraph will pretty much be the subject matter of my essay, so now I'm giving a moment of silence to myself for having picked this essay topic in the first place. :rofl:
I will read this after my exams!
I really need to revise, but I will read it all before bed I promise! (I've read the first 1/4 I'm gonna say, so far so good)
Even considering how little I value my life, I still have too attempt reading all of that.
Original post by SiminaM
Oh boy

Your points are excruciatingly thoroughly explained OP and unfortunately it is highly unlikely they will get the attention they deserve. Overall, I agree but seriously now, tldr.

Your future husband.... I wish him good luck

Haha :giggle: I see what you did there. Tbh, I refrain from overly blabbering to my partner. I know as a fact that I talk too much, and if I feel that I am talking too much in a conversation, I will stop. If I feel that I'm most likely going to talk too much, I'm asking the recipient to give me a moment to reprocess the information in my head and to summarize it.
If I feel that I would probably respond with a very long argument that I can't summarize in such a short time, depending on whether the recipient is my parter or not, this either ends into something more enjoyable than a conversation :sexface: or I just apologise for stopping the conversation and suggest something else to talk about.
Original post by RobML
Would you sum it up for me, at the very least? :colondollar:

I need to shrink/ cut/ edit/ all of that into a 600 word essay by next week, but I would send first you the finished work when I'm done with it :flutter:
Reply 34
Original post by LaMandarine
I need to shrink/ cut/ edit/ all of that into a 600 word essay by next week, but I would send first you the finished work when I'm done with it :flutter:

Oh thank you :h: I'm a feminist so I'm looking forward to a good argument :wink:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I will read this after my exams!

^_^ thank you, best of luck with your exams!
Original post by cake_lover
I really need to revise, but I will read it all before bed I promise! (I've read the first 1/4 I'm gonna say, so far so good)

Thank you ^_^, good luck with revision!
Original post by dyslexicvegie
I didn't manage to read that to the end but from what I managed I can conclude that ur post is very well considered and does not offend me in the slightest.

I am an unapologetic feminist. I guess I fit into the 'liberal feminist' section.
Admittedly if the movement for equal gender rights was called 'manism' then I would be a bit suspicious so I see why some people take issue with the word, but when you look at the historical context the reason is obvious and I think we are all grown-up enough to deal with that.
ofc things are more complicated now we have very nearly achieved equality in Europe, things get more complicated (not sure how I feel about gender quotas) and there are definitely things to be done to help men out as well as women ( I think more flexible parenting leave for both genders is a great idea)

the OP's effort is admirable xx

Thank you x! Yep, I also had some thoughts on parenting (and the great fact that some countries provide baby changing stations in men's rooms) but after I wrote that much, I said I'll just keep it in a sticky note to remember it :giggle:
Original post by Mochassassin
I READ IT ALL. :cool:
You make some very good points, LaMandarine!

"seeing some bum bum" -
Made me laugh way more than it should've. :teehee:

Thank you, honey :hugs::hug:! And yep, bum bums are delish :sexface:
We could assess gorgeous bum bums on our pages if you want :giggle: I have some pretty neat ones from both sexes

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Thank you, honey :hugs::hug:! And yep, bum bums are delish :sexface:
We could assess gorgeous bum bums on our pages if you want :giggle: I have some pretty neat ones from both sexes

Spoiler

YES, LET'S DO IT. Look away everyone, no objectification here. :colone:
I actually read most of that :colondollar:

****ing excellent post. Now, go post this on Daenerys' wall pls

See, had you said this before, I would've judged you less harshly.
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
The underlying question in there seems to be a personal question for yourself of "am i a feminist?"(1). Or at least thats how i read it.

And no i don't think you are, not because of your ideals or because you support or do not support specific ideals but because the idea of feminism has been changed/warped into something it was not intended to be by those who have been wronged by the opposite(or same) sex and take up feminism as a weapon. It has become something which is seen as 'fighting' for a belief. Which should not be necessary and is probably making the situation worse. Its the same with beliefs worldwide, there are always the radicals. Unfortunately with feminism those radicals shouted too loudly and have made their cause into a mockery to those who it would have been beneficial to engage in debate.(2)

I would say that you, from reading your text, are not a feminist and you are not an anti-feminist, you are just human. In that, while you did not outline them to avoid a biased essay, you seem to just support common decency and treating others like a human being, nothing more nothing less(3). Unfortunately that is not as common a belief/principles than I(and others) would like to see in our society.
Please correct me if im wrong, that is just what I took from the text (very well written btw)

Thanks for the great response!
I've broken down your quote into 3 points, as highlighted above
1)Yep, this is what engaged me to challenge feminism in the first place. It is so vaguely defined and perceived nowadays, that you just don't know what to make of it anymore
2) I totally love this idea, and I find it true. We all come to the world and we challenge some concepts/events from our own past experiences. Another good example of what you said would be the Jews challenging the Hollocaust. They have strong arguments against the event and the ideas on which it was grounded, and it is perfectly understandable given the suffering they or their families had to bear. At the same time, I read that the first ones to be sent to concentration camps -in the case of Poland- were not even Jewish, but gentile Poles, as they were regarded to be a greater threat in the eyes of the Nazis, due to their greater number and cultural dominance. Consequently, until 1942 there were more non-jewish poles in Auschwitz than Jews.
3) Yep, this could be regarded to some extent as egalitarianism- as somebody previously posted. Egalitarianism itself is drawn from feminism, just like communism was drawn from Marxism. New ideologies are formed by changing the proximity/ removing or challenging concepts from previous ideologies. But like you said, I am an advocate of common sense and equality in terms of everything that makes a human who she/he is, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending